-

Photo
- - - - -

Boston debut and Don't Look Back Remastered!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   MikeH1

MikeH1

Screenwriter

• 1,498 posts

Posted January 25 2007 - 01:48 PM

And Tom Sholz contributed!! He has never been a fan of digital but says these remasters are quite pleasing to his ear. There is a great article written about many of the changes done in the new remastered and his thoughts on digital and Mp3.

I have been rediscovering my classic rock CD collection as of late (I'm really missing the headroom and impact of older recordings compared to the mostly cranked up crap released today) and this is a timely pleasant surprise!

Tom on the changes:

Quote:
We made thousands of changes, thousands: every vocal line, every guitar part, the whole bottom end. The bass has been brought up in the mix relative to the bass in the kick drum, which gives a heckuva lot more punch from the bass instruments. The vocals in many of the songs appear louder. Even though there's a lot more bass, the vocals appear louder than they did before, which is usually something you fight with when you bring the bass up, the vocals disappear. And all of the shrill guitar parts have been fixed. The reason it's hard to pick out specific instances is because there literally isn't one second of any song on either of those albums that wasn't touched. [laughs] At the outset of Boston, when that first bass-guitar note hits in "More Than a Feeling," it's a lot fuller and a lot bigger. And when Brad starts singing, his voice is louder. It's hard to achieve that, especially when those rhythm power-chord guitars are playing at the beginnings of songs, or breaks between chorus and verses, the guitars are much more powerful. That power was something that slipped through the cracks when I was making the original master tracks. It was a mistake. I knew about it after the fact, but back then, in the '70s, it couldn't be fixed. Also, a lot of cymbals, lead-guitar parts, and some vocals got very, very screechy in the 16-bit product, and those have all been brought back into range. They all now sound pretty good to me on CD, and I don't usually like the way anything sounds on CD.

Oh boy I can't wait to pick these up!!!

http://bandboston.co.../news_html.html

Scroll down a bit for the Sound & Vision article.

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   Brad M

Brad M

Second Unit

• 499 posts

Posted January 26 2007 - 10:05 AM

I picked these up a few weeks ago. They do sound great! I did a side by side comparison and was shocked at how clean these remasters are. If you are a fan these are must haves.
Don't make me hungry. You wouldn't like me when I'm hungry.

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   Eric_Connelly

Eric_Connelly

Second Unit

• 460 posts

Posted January 27 2007 - 12:54 PM

Great article....so are these SACD's then?

I assume since he spoke so poorly of 16 bit audio. I'm surprised Sony let him say the DVD-A word Posted Image

The first band I really liked...will for sure pick them up but what exactly am I looking for?

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   Bill Cowmeadow

Bill Cowmeadow

Second Unit

• 408 posts

Posted January 28 2007 - 04:07 AM

Picked up Boston 2006 re-master yesterday.

AWESOME

It's packaged in a carboard sleave, with a 2006 remaster label on the front.
Must go today and get Don't Look Back.

Truely, the originals do not compare to these. Although they are Red Book CD's, they are fantastic.

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   Ron Reda

Ron Reda

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted January 28 2007 - 05:13 AM

These came out a while ago. In fact, I think I saw them out on www.yourmusic.com for $7 a piece.
"Music is a magic carpet loaded with oils and other soothing potions, it's just what you need when you don't know what you need, when you've got more questions than answers." - Bob Lefsetz

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   Paul_Medenwaldt

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor

• 648 posts

Posted January 28 2007 - 03:27 PM

Tom Scholz has just sued everyone who has participated in this discussion of the remasters.

Seriously, I look forward to picking these up.

Paul
If there be one of them who does not follow the way of the Snitzil, let that one go and do not throw bowling balls at them.

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer

Producer

• 5,593 posts

Posted January 30 2007 - 05:07 AM

I picked these up a while ago, and while Boston sounds better, Don't Look Back isn't that much of an improvement IMO. That said, I am somewhat nervous that my copy may not be legit, or at least the final version, as the liner notes say the disc was mastered by Mark Wilder, while the back covers credit Scholz. The liner notes also list a 9th track (Help Me-Live) which isn't on the disc. Anyone know what's up with that?

Both these CDs are in jewel cases and are BMG Direct versions.

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   ElevSkyMovie

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor

• 575 posts

Posted January 30 2007 - 06:03 AM

Sony remastered the cds. Tom didn't know anything about it, didn't like how they sounded, and demanded they be pulled. He remastered them himself and they were released again. The Boston website had a letter from Tom explaining it. I would call BMG and ask that they get you one of the new "Don't Look Back" remasters.

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer

Producer

• 5,593 posts

Posted January 30 2007 - 06:31 AM

I don't think the original remasters were released (could be wrong, but this CD doesn't have the bonus track). I suspect the BMG had the original packaging printed (with the wrong credits), and swapped in new rear inserts.

However, to satisfy my curiosity, could someone confirm whether the mint marks on the discs are the same as what I have - these are on the inner ring of the disc:

Boston: CTDP 144505 2 - disc is yellow/red print
UPC 69699 86322 2
Don't Look Back: CTDP 14474R - disc is green with blue print
UPC: 82876 82241 2

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   Brian L

Brian L

Screenwriter

• 2,882 posts

Posted January 30 2007 - 09:02 AM

I seem to recall reading that the non-Tom remasters were briefly released in Canada. Here is one thread from Steve Hoffman's on the subject:

http://www.stevehoff....ghlight=Boston

Brian