• 37,284 posts

Posted January 24 2007 - 09:21 PM

AMERICA’S MOST LOVABLE MOVIE MISANTHROPE
STARS IN FIVE UNFORGETTABLE COMEDIES

THE W.C. FIELDS COMEDY
COLLECTION VOLUME 2

Five of “The Great Man’s” Best Films Available for the First Time on DVD
March 20, 2007 from Universal Studios Home Entertainment

Universal City, January 24, 2007 – Legendary comedian W.C. Fields stars in five of the funniest comedies ever made when The W.C. Fields Comedy Collection Volume 2 comes to DVD on March 20, 2007 from Universal Studios Home Entertainment. An all new assortment of classic films, this very special, highly collectible anthology includes the unforgettable rib-ticklers You're Telling Me!, The Old Fashioned Way, The Man on the Flying Trapeze, Poppy and Never Give a Sucker an Even Break, all on DVD for the first time. The W.C. Fields Comedy Collection Volume 2 also includes the rarely seen 1965 television retrospective “Wayne and Schuster Take an Affectionate Look at W.C. Fields,” as well as the original theatrical trailers for all five films. Packed with hilarious routines from one of vaudeville's most popular entertainers, The W.C. Fields Comedy Collection Volume 2 is a must-own collection for anyone who likes to laugh!

One of the most enduring and influential comedians in film history, W. C. Fields first made his name as an enormously popular Broadway entertainer, appearing in seven Ziegfeld Follies revues. He created one of the great comic personas of the big screen, a cantankerous Everyman with an affinity for the bottle and an unmatched gift for stinging repartee. Whether playing a henpecked husband, an eccentric inventor, a scheming theatrical manager, a small time grifter or himself (a.k.a. “The Great Man”) Fields always managed to remain unexpectedly loveable, earning himself film immortality and millions of fans around the world. The five disc DVD set is priced at $ 59.98 SRP. Preorder close is February 13, 2007.

SYNOPSES
You're Telling Me!
In this hilarious comedy of errors W.C. Fields stars as Sam Bisbee, a tippling inventor attempting to market his own brand of bulletproof automobile tires. In short order, he ruins his daughter’s marriage plans, shoots the tires out from under a police car, befriends a princess and lassoes an ostrich. Fields is in top comedic form in this madcap satire of country club snobs versus everyday slobs, ending up, as always, at the top of the heap.

The Man on the Flying Trapeze
When Ambrose Wolfinger (W.C. Fields) takes his first afternoon off from work in 25 years, he tells his boss that he’ll be at his mother-in-law’s funeral, and he goes to a wrestling match instead. He arrives home to an enraged wife, an indignant mother-in-law and a boss who fires him. When it becomes apparent that his boss can’t get by without him, Wolfinger is brought back with a higher salary and the increased respect of his employer. He takes back his role of as head of his household and leaves his obnoxious in-laws behind.

The Old Fashioned Way
W.C. Fields, as the scheming theatrical manager, The Great McGonigle, squares off for the second time with his infant nemesis, Baby LeRoy. Wealthy widow Cleopatra Pepperday (Jan Duggan) is bankrolling his traveling troupe, so that she can star in their latest production. With Fields at the helm, it is no surprise that the lady does not get her money’s worth, but McGonigle does manage to see his daughter happily married and still stay one step ahead of the law.

Poppy
Poppy is the film adaptation of the musical comedy that made W.C. Fields a Broadway star. Professor Eustace McGargle (Fields) is a small-time con man weary of fleecing backwoods locals for peanuts. He conspires with a crooked lawyer to pass off his adopted daughter Poppy (Rochelle Hudson) as the long-lost heir to the Putnam estate. Just as the irate townsfolk discover his deception, it’s revealed that the lovely Poppy is the legitimate heir.

Never Give a Sucker an Even Break
In a whimsical satire of Hollywood, W.C. Fields plays himself as he pitches an outrageous script to a skeptical producer. The story unfolds in a film-within-a-film that takes Fields and his niece (Gloria Jean) on a trip to Mexico. When Fields falls off an airplane’s outdoor observation deck, he lands in the amorous arms of the formidable Mrs. Hemoglobin (Margaret Dumont). He flees the grand lady’s romantic attentions only to discover that Mrs. Hemoglobin is worth millions. Returning to her mountaintop mansion, he is about to wed his intended, when he is thrown out on his ear by the enraged producer. The whole thing ends with a slapstick car chase finale that is every bit as side-splittingly and off the wall as anything in the imaginary movie.

TECHNICAL INFORMATION
DVD
Street Date: March 20, 2007
Pre-Order Close: February 13, 2007
Copyright: 2007 Universal Studios. All Rights Reserved.
Price: $59.98 SRP
Selection Number: 61032306
Running Time: Disc 1: 1 Hour 6 Minutes; Disc 2:1 Hour 6 Minutes; Disc 3: 1 Hour 5 Minutes; Disc 4: 1 Hour 15 Minutes; Disc 5: 1 Hour 11 Minutes
Layers: Discs 1-4: DVD-5 (Single Sided); Disc 5: DVD 9 (Single Sided)
Aspect Ratio: Full Frame 1.33:1
Rating: Not Rated
Technical Info: English Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono, English SDH, French and Spanish Subtitles

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 25 Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,959 posts

Posted January 25 2007 - 12:27 AM

YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! Posted Image

#3 of 25 streeter

streeter

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted January 25 2007 - 01:51 AM

Quote:
Disc 1: 1 Hour 6 Minutes; Disc 2:1 Hour 6 Minutes; Disc 3: 1 Hour 5 Minutes; Disc 4: 1 Hour 15 Minutes; Disc 5: 1 Hour 11 Minutes

Odd...
Nothing Lost Forever: The Films of Tom Schiller
"I'll tell you why... 'cause I'm a dancer."

home page / dvds

#4 of 25 Mike*HTF

Mike*HTF

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted January 25 2007 - 06:22 AM

I'm happy and I'll buy it...but why do I still feel like I'm getting price gouged?

#5 of 25 Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 7,418 posts
  • LocationBlairsville, GA, USA

Posted January 25 2007 - 07:05 AM

Insant sale for me, but it's a little silly to spread out 5 films of that short of length across 5 discs. They could have easily made each disc a double-feature, even on DVD-5s. Either that or they could keep it at 5 discs and add another movie to each disc.

#6 of 25 Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted January 25 2007 - 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein
Running Time: Disc 1: 1 Hour 6 Minutes; Disc 2:1 Hour 6 Minutes; Disc 3: 1 Hour 5 Minutes; Disc 4: 1 Hour 15 Minutes; Disc 5: 1 Hour 11 Minutes
Layers: Discs 1-4: DVD-5 (Single Sided); Disc 5: DVD 9 (Single Sided)

If there are no special features included (none listed on the press release), why on earth would Disc 5 be a dual-layered disc when the others are not? It's not even the longest of the bunch...

#7 of 25 Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,959 posts

Posted January 25 2007 - 08:16 AM

This site mentions an extra on Disc 5 that is probably the reason for the DVD-9.
http://homevideo.uni....?childId=36654

#8 of 25 Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,959 posts

Posted January 25 2007 - 08:18 AM

I'm happy and I'll buy it...but why do I still feel like I'm getting price gouged?

Yes and No! Amazon is listing this for $45 which is $9 per movie. The only reason that I would feel gouged is that WB & Fox include far more extras for the same $9. If Universal would throw a few commentaries or additional shorts from their library, I would be a lot happier, but I don't feel like I'm being gouged.

#9 of 25 Marc^H

Marc^H

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted January 27 2007 - 06:19 AM

Where is the Fields movie called MISSISSIPPI? Has it ever even been on TV? It didnt get included with the Bing Crosby sets, and its not here either.

I've read the movie has some "PC" problems...but I've never been able to see it to judge.

In any case, this looks like a great set. Maybe even better than Vol 1.

#10 of 25 Danny Burk

Danny Burk

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • LocationSouth Bend, IN

Posted January 28 2007 - 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc^H
Where is the Fields movie called MISSISSIPPI? Has it ever even been on TV? It didnt get included with the Bing Crosby sets, and its not here either.
It used to run on Chicago TV, at least into the 80s; I still have my old Beta copy, but I've never seen it since. I believe the major problem is with music rights.

#11 of 25 AndySvn

AndySvn

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted January 30 2007 - 01:46 PM

Fields: "I carved a wall of huuuuuuuman flesh!"

#12 of 25 Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,140 posts

Posted January 31 2007 - 02:03 AM

I'll pass. Overpriced and a waste of shelf space in the format this is being released.
...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#13 of 25 Mark Walker

Mark Walker

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,380 posts

Posted February 07 2007 - 09:28 AM

As much as I love WC, this seems over priced. Maybe if they did some restoration work, then, I would bite.

Heck, who am I kidding: I'll buy it,
but I will definitely be looking for street date deals.

Costco has the last set for cheap when it was first released.
If I cannot find this cheap, it will have to wait.

Paramount, please release DRAGONSLAYER on Blu-ray

Dragonslayer_1981HTF_zps4e370848.jpg

Vermithrax Pejorative deserves to be seen in high-def.

#14 of 25 LaurenceGarvey

LaurenceGarvey

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted February 07 2007 - 10:44 AM

$12 per movie is overpriced? On what planet? At amazon.com, it's $9 per movie. That's not overpriced, that's a steal for these movies, less than I'd pay for them on VHS 15 years ago (if they'd been available then, which they weren't) and less than I'd pay to see them at the Film Forum. I am going to be standing in line when the store opens for this set. Shame on you cheapskates; at $12 a movie, that's about 2¢ a laugh. Like I said, a steal.

#15 of 25 Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 7,418 posts
  • LocationBlairsville, GA, USA

Posted February 07 2007 - 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenceGarvey
$12 per movie is overpriced? On what planet? At amazon.com, it's $9 per movie. That's not overpriced, that's a steal for these movies, less than I'd pay for them on VHS 15 years ago (if they'd been available then, which they weren't) and less than I'd pay to see them at the Film Forum. I am going to be standing in line when the store opens for this set. Shame on you cheapskates; at $12 a movie, that's about 2¢ a laugh. Like I said, a steal.

Well, it is a bit expensive considering the Cinema Classics that just came out are going for $6-7 cheapest. Still, $9 is worth it for a Fields comedy. I wouldn't even pay $9 for some of the lame comedies that come out today. We're just a little spoiled, I guess... considering how many bare-bones films used to cost $20 and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Walker
As much as I love WC, this seems over priced. Maybe if they did some restoration work, then, I would bite.

Every Universal DVD I've purchased in the last few years has had fantastic remastering work. The films in the last Fields set look top-notch, especially My Little Chickadee and You Can't Cheat an Honest Man.

Here's two captures from The Bank Dick:

Posted Image
Posted Image

#16 of 25 Mike*HTF

Mike*HTF

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted February 08 2007 - 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenceGarvey
$12 per movie is overpriced? On what planet? Shame on you cheapskates; at $12 a movie, that's about 2¢ a laugh.
Posted Image
Couldn't agree with you more!

#17 of 25 Art_AD

Art_AD

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted February 08 2007 - 07:00 AM

High price for a box set (compared to Warners) maybe but 4 of these movies have never been released in any format. A definite buy from me.

#18 of 25 Egbert Souse

Egbert Souse

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted March 13 2007 - 09:40 AM

Heard about this release today,I pre-ordered it and am anxiously awaiting the week or so until delivery.I did not hesitate on the price,I would have payed twice as much.W.C. Fields is,imo,the funniest man that ever lived and I cherish all of his movies.I already have copies,in one form or another, of all of the movies on this collection,but like I say,I did not hesitate on buying it.It will be proudly displayed,along with the first collection,at the very top of my dvd case.

#19 of 25 Steve Meskell

Steve Meskell

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted March 13 2007 - 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert Souse
Heard about this release today,I pre-ordered it and am anxiously awaiting the week or so until delivery.I did not hesitate on the price,I would have payed twice as much.W.C. Fields is,imo,the funniest man that ever lived and I cherish all of his movies.I already have copies,in one form or another, of all of the movies on this collection,but like I say,I did not hesitate on buying it.It will be proudly displayed,along with the first collection,at the very top of my dvd case.
I would pay for it with all those nickels in your nose..... :-)

#20 of 25 Rod J

Rod J

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted March 14 2007 - 03:43 AM

No complaints here, I just hope there's a volume 3. It's nice to see Universal notice that they own the Paramount catalog once in a while.

Back to DVD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow