Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Dear god help me...I need silver speaker stands.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 of 15 OFFLINE   barneygumble

barneygumble

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted January 23 2007 - 02:03 AM

I've been talking to my wife about getting a theater system to go with the plasma we bought last year. I have it all planned out, then I show her the speakers, she looks and says "my god, they're huge!" Then I tell her the bookshelf speakers will go on stands, 24" tall stands, black stands. She then tells me we should get a surround system like our friends have because the satellite speakers are 1"ers, of the Bose flavor. I tell her no. I've already changed my speaker selection from Axioms to SVSound because she prefers silver speakers, now she wants silver stands. I understand she is very particular about her decorating style, but i'm hoping once she has heard the system, the appearance will not matter as much, then I must convince her that we need some towers.

So, I need 24" silver stands that will support an 11lb. speaker. A chrome or brushed stainless steel/aluminum is preferable.

Thank you for you time, help and sympathy.

#2 of 15 OFFLINE   Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted January 23 2007 - 05:29 AM

Circuit City has a pair from Omnimount that have silver aluminum pilons but the top/bottom plates are black.

http://www.circuitci....oductDetail.do

HH Gregg has some TechCraft stands that are solid silver but 31" (which would be a better height for the SBS-01s if you ask me).

http://www.hhgregg.c....ctID=5521#page

#3 of 15 OFFLINE   wolffcub

wolffcub

Agent

• 30 posts

Posted January 23 2007 - 05:30 AM

Plateau come to mind. I like the simple designs they have.

http://www.plateauco..../qt-series.htm

#4 of 15 OFFLINE   barneygumble

barneygumble

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted January 23 2007 - 05:45 AM

Oh, these are good. The black base will not fly, sadly. Keem em coming if you can, THanks!

#5 of 15 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,550 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted January 23 2007 - 06:03 AM

www.racksandstands.com
www.audioadvisor.com
http://www.billybags.com/
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#6 of 15 OFFLINE   DaveHo

DaveHo

Supporting Actor

• 605 posts

Posted January 23 2007 - 06:33 AM

New wife? J/K.

Spray paint works wonders. (On the stands, not your wife)

Oh, and I agree. 31" would be a better height for the SVS speakers.

#7 of 15 OFFLINE   barneygumble

barneygumble

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted January 23 2007 - 07:05 AM

I also agree with the 31". I couldn't give less of a shit about the speaker or stand color, but that is the price of marrying an interior decorator. It looks like the plateaus are the best bet. Originally I was going to get the TechCrafts in black, or the Axiom stands if I were getting Axiom speakers. I'll have to sneak in some towers under the radar in the near future.

#8 of 15 OFFLINE   Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted January 23 2007 - 07:21 AM

The Plateus look nice... a little expensive... but very nice. You could also possibly get a base finish color that matches some peice of furniture in the room... should help quench the decorator urges.

#9 of 15 OFFLINE   wolffcub

wolffcub

Agent

• 30 posts

Posted January 23 2007 - 07:33 AM

I have the F series from Plateau. They were a bit more then the others but $100 was not bad. The build quality is top notch and it comes with spikes and round feet. Just fill them up with sand and your ready to go.

#10 of 15 OFFLINE   barneygumble

barneygumble

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted January 23 2007 - 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hopkins
The Plateus look nice... a little expensive... but very nice. You could also possibly get a base finish color that matches some peice of furniture in the room... should help quench the decorator urges.
Problem is, all of our furniture is very, very dark wood finish, think ebony wood, the darkest shade of brown before going black, dark.

#11 of 15 OFFLINE   Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted January 23 2007 - 07:45 AM

Plateu has a finish called Expresso that might match it just perfect!

#12 of 15 OFFLINE   barneygumble

barneygumble

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted January 23 2007 - 07:49 AM

I think the Plateau F-series is what I'm going for, see what the woman thinks when I get home from work. Thanks for all the input.

#13 of 15 OFFLINE   BrianTwig

BrianTwig

Second Unit

• 252 posts

Posted January 23 2007 - 08:50 AM

Why not just get the wall brackets from SVS and wall mount them? That eliminates the stands.

Of course, you may not be putting them where that would work.

Sometimes you just have to put your foot down and get what you want.

I threw WAF out the window and told her TS when I ordered my PB12-NSD/2. I knew she would freak when she say how big it was. It went like this...

She walks in, I point to it and say "Thats the new sub." She says "I am not happy", turned around and walked out. Haven't seen her since.

Kidding. After a couple weeks she finally admitted, you know what, I don't even notice it any more.
My budget system constrained by WAF

JVC HD-ILA HD-52G787
Panasonic DVD-S52K
Marantz SR5600Marantz CC4300NHT IW3s all aroundPureAV PF60SVS PB12-NSD/2

#14 of 15 OFFLINE   ThomasC

ThomasC

Lead Actor

• 6,526 posts

Posted January 23 2007 - 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTwig
She walks in, I point to it and say "Thats the new sub." She says "I am not happy", turned around and walked out. Haven't seen her since.
Posted Image

#15 of 15 OFFLINE   Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter

• 1,699 posts

Posted January 23 2007 - 11:20 AM

Surprise her.

Dick Blick Art Supplies sells silver and aluminum leaf and kits. 25 leaves of ~4" x ~4" silver leaf for about $8; or larger sheets of aluminum leaf. Either has to be "varnished" to keep it from oxidizing. But this way, you get the style of speaker-stand you want, and she gets a silver (100% argentum (coated)) speaker stand!

Leo

Forum Nav Content I Follow