What's new

Disturbia - Rear Window remake (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
disturbia

saw a trailer for this on a show from 2 weeks ago.
surprised no talk on this yet.
it is a remake of rear window with Shia LaBeouf in the jimmy stewart part.

no trailer on apple.com yet

iether dreamworks or paramount or both putting this one out.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I had a good time with this film for the most part. Shia LeBeouf does okay carrying the film on his shoulders, and the film delivers some jolts here and there, and some confusion (the good kind), and disorientation that comes from the premise and setup of the film.

It's a good matinee film to see with an audience.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
I didn't know much about this film going in and I really enjoyed it a lot. I even screamed/jumped at one point. I thought all the actors were great in this movie.

This is a movie I could watch more than once.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
what made you jump.
was it a somebody behind a door or something, when the door is closed the person is standing there, a loud music cue, that indicates a moment that is supposed to be scary, something jumping out from behind an object.

someone appearing out of nowere from behind something.

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter

Touche!

Actually I don't remember the exact scene, but I definitely was not expecting whatever happened to happen. I jumped and my husband turned to me and started to laugh. Fun movie!

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Boy did I pick the wrong film to get back into theaters with -- what a piece of shit. I am generally more careful about my picks, but this was an impromptu Friday night let's-do-movies type deal.

The worst movie I've seen since Seven Swords/Chat Gim in late 05. All the teenagers seemed to be a having a blast though, what with the yelling and screaming.

:star:

--
H

BrettV

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brett Voss
I liked it.

Had a good time. Of course you can pretty much guess the ending, but I enjoyed getting to that point.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I was underwhelmed by this highly-touted film. It's yet another thriller about someone who's witnessing from his home what appears to be a neighbor up to no good from his house across the way. I've seen this kind of thing before, in movies like REAR WINDOW, FRIGHT NIGHT, and others. Worse of all with DISTURBIA, the first half (or more like 3/4) played like an '80s teen comedy flick. We have the voyeur being a troubled teenager who's confined to his home on house arrest and gets hot for the cute girl next door, watching her swimming in her bikini through his binoculars when he's not joking around with his typically goofy sidekick friend. We start getting somewhere with the actual plot later on, and though things do pick up considerably, it's too late by then. Just average, although I did like David Morse in the part of the middle aged neighbor.

Shawn_KE

Screenwriter
Thought it was a enjoyable film. David Morse wasn't on the screen all that much, but was pretty good as the badguy.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

I don't understand it either. When it came out EVERYBODY said it was a Rear Window rip-off. I haven't seen Disturbia, so I don't know if it has the same basic premise, or the same story, with different names? In the second case they might have a point.
And if Spielberg does have to pay, he should sue the people behind the dozens of Jaws knock-offs (Orca, Lake Placid and many others) just to make a point :D.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I would call Disturbia "variations" on Rear Window. While the idea is more or less the same, the plot does take some slightly different twists along the way.

To be fair to the makers of Disturbia however, this basic plot has been used over and over again over the years and the owners of the Cornell Woolrich story haven't sued anyone else. People seem to just love to sue Spielberg because he is the big kid on the block.

Doug

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I think that's an apt description. Disturbia does contain one very specific homage to Rear Window that cracked me up the first time I saw it, but that very self-consciousness is a big part of what makes it a different film.

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks