What's new

Mac.. How to Customize Mouse??? (1 Viewer)

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
Guys,
I have the Mightey Mouse. Is there any way incorporate a right click, or copy and paste funtion into the mouse??

I tried the mouse options, but all you can do is load an app into one of the buttons??

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm not familiar with that mouse, but typically third party mouses have their own software available. Check the manufacturer's web site. FWIW, I have found the Kensington software is the best, but it only works with Kensington peripherals.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Steven,

Go to System Preferences and on the second row, under hardware, is Keyboard and Mouse. Click on that. Third tab on top is Mouse, click on that. You can set left click and right click as well as the side pressure buttons and the "click while pressing the scroll button" function (you don't set the scroll button itself, that function is fixed to scroll-only). Left click in Mac talk is "Primary button", Right click is "Secondary button".

When you enable Secondary button, if you have text selected and right click, it includes Copy, and when you have text in memory and go to a blank text entry spot and right click, Paste is an option.

One word of caution: it takes a little getting used to in order to get the right spot for the right click, it's more towards the top-right of the mouse. If you don't click in the right pressure-sensitive area, the mighty mouse will just left click. It took a little getting used to but is now second nature to me.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
If you type "mouse" or "click" into the search box in the top right, the relevant prefs will be highlighted and a list of matches are shown. If you select one (arrow down and Return or click), it will take you right to it.

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
I caved. I bought the Logitech Wireless S530 Mouse and Keyboard today... Right Clicking, copy and paste is now easy as windows... Thx for the help gents!!!

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
Well, the Logitech stunk. They keyboard just wouldn't work well. So i re hooked the Mac stuff. The right click does work, but will take some time getting used too. You really have hit on the far bottom of the mouse to get the copy menu...

Thanks Carlo...

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am guessing that THIS is the trackball mouse
that you have recommended.

I am very curious. I never used a trackball device before.
It looks atrociously ugly. It also isn't wireless.

So....what are the advantages of using a trackball like this
over a mouse?

I look forward to hearing opinions.

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
Some of our users at the office use the Kensington trackballs and I hate them. Not only are they a maintenance PITA (they have to be cleaned far more often than regular mice and the buttons are prone to sticking) but the design leaves the wrist tilted upwards at an unnatural angle. If I have to use one for more than an hour my whole forearm hurts. No thanks. :thumbsdown:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Ron, I have the trackball you linked to. One thing to make absolutely clear is that unlike the ones Michael referred to, it is optical and does not require cleaning. I also have no wrist problems with it. I just rest my arm on the desk and everything is confortable. I work at the computer often for hours each day.

The main advantage of a trackball is that you don't have to move it. You just roll the ball. So, it isn't such a big deal that it isn't wireless, because it just sits in one place. Also, the Kensington software is great. It lets you configure each of the four buttons and scroll ring to do whatever you want, plus you can "chord" two buttons to do more things.

I have been using trackballs for almost 20 years. One thing I can guarantee is, after using a mouse for years, it will seem unnatural, but give it time. After a month or two, you'll probably wonder how you ever used a mouse.

ErichH

Screenwriter
Ron, that's the one. Wanna drive fast on that 30?

Agree with John - My first was the white ADB v4 in 96. After a week, I couldn't understand why any one would suffer with a mouse (other than they just didn't get it). Older versions had rollers that would get dirty after a year or so. The current optical has no moving parts under the ball.

I use the first and middle finger tips on the ball. Thumb on the bottom left and pinky on the bottom right.
Tune the acceleration for fast and slow movement.
Program just about any action you can think of for the 6 buttons, AND completely reprogram for any app when launched and as many apps as you want. Let's say you launch Photoshop, and the buttons are set up to do what you like in the app. When you're elsewhere, they're back to the standard set up.

You're touching a stationary tactile item like a keyboard instead of reaching for, grabbing and repositioning something with your arm and wrist.

Then again, people do get very attached to their old Horse & Buggies ;) It's not for everyone.

E

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'll tell you the one thing I can't live without. I have it set so when you chord the bottom two buttons, it brings up a menu of all open apps, and you can then switch to whichever app you want. That alone is probably worth the price of admission.

BTW, that Expert Mouse is a bit rough out of the box. The movement gets smoother after a few days.

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
I'm a little late to the party, but I have always loved the Logitech TrackMan Marble and its variants. I started off with the three-button ADB version under Mac OS 7.5 over ten years ago, and I currently have the TrackMan Wheel, which is optical and doesn't require periodic cleaning. I have always hated Kensington's products.

I have always hated Logitech's drivers, too, and I have used USB Overdrive since it was first released for the original Mac OS years ago. I originally purchased it to configure a gamepad, but couldn't live without it as soon as I started playing around with its mouse configuration options.

I always configure the middle/wheel button as the Option key, which allows you to drag-copy files, and also to close all open windows at once when you Option-click on the window close button (assuming you don't use column view, which I have also always hated).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks