-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A couple of surprises from Clerks II - HD-DVD

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
36 replies to this topic

#21 of 37 ppltd

ppltd

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted January 23 2007 - 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I believe the inability to upconvert over component is exclusively for material on DVDs, not HD DVDs.
You might be right. Wonder if someone knows for sure.
Thomas Eisenmann(Last updated 09/30/11)

Blu-Ray Collection  DVD Collection, Numerous BD players,

LG 55LX6500 55-Inch 3D 1080p 240 Hz LED

Pioneer VSX-94TXH, Panasonic PT-AE7000U 3D 1080p (PT-AE8000 Just Ordered, 

1124 BDs and going up, 1028 - DVDs and going down.

#22 of 37 ppltd

ppltd

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted January 23 2007 - 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_D
The documentary looks like crap (to use a technical term) on my set-up. As far as the movie's PQ goes, I was also a little disappointed. The desaturated colours I have no issue with, but the flick has an un-natural, 'digital' look to it IMO. The grain resembles video noise rather than film grain. The naturalistic subtleties of the grain structure seem to have been lost during the tightly budgeted all-digital post-production.
I could not disagree more. The movies PQ was right where it should have been, and I was quite happy with it. Not sure what problems you had the the documentary, but I found the quality quite good. Maybe it is a difference in displays we are using.

#23 of 37 Jeremy Little

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor

• 772 posts

Posted January 23 2007 - 12:47 PM

It looks to me like both the KS intros and the documentary were the same SD format as the DVD which were then upconverted and stored on the HD DVD in 1080. That's what methinks, and the picture quality supports that theory. The movie itself looks heads above the DVD, so I'm still content with my purchase.
If it wasn't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college.

#24 of 37 BrettGallman

BrettGallman

Screenwriter

• 1,392 posts

Posted January 23 2007 - 01:51 PM

I got this last week and haven't watched it yet. I hope it works on my A-1.
Oh, the Horror - Horror Reviews from All Decades and All Sub-Genres!
Balls Academy -  Your Alma mater for teen films, raunchy, low-brow comedies, sexploitation & coming of age dramas.
Other recent reviews: Super | Thor Tobacco RoadSource Code | Sucker Punch |

#25 of 37 Vincent_P

Vincent_P

Screenwriter

• 1,701 posts

Posted January 23 2007 - 07:06 PM

I'm almost 100% sure that the documentary material was shot with a Panasonic DV camcorder in 24P mode- i.e., standard-defintion, but 24-frame-per-second Progressive, which might be the reason for some folks thinking it looked like true HD. The same cameras were used to shoot the "Snowball Effect" documentary for the "CLERKS X" DVD.

Vincent

#26 of 37 Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,580 posts

Posted January 24 2007 - 12:07 AM

If the documentary material was on an SDVD disc with some form of copy protection (e.g. MacroVision), then it would not upgrade to higher image resolutions on any video output, except HDMI.
(BTW, on the HD-A1 a pop-up screen tells you so.)

If it was a HD disc, that restriction would not apply, uless the ICT bit is set (which is highly improbable).

Cees

#27 of 37 Jeremy Little

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor

• 772 posts

Posted January 24 2007 - 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_P
I'm almost 100% sure that the documentary material was shot with a Panasonic DV camcorder in 24P mode- i.e., standard-defintion, but 24-frame-per-second Progressive, which might be the reason for some folks thinking it looked like true HD. The same cameras were used to shoot the "Snowball Effect" documentary for the "CLERKS X" DVD.

Vincent

That's what it looks like Vincent, video image quality is nearly identical to the "Snowball Effect".
If it wasn't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college.

#28 of 37 Ron>E

Ron>E

Extra

• 15 posts

Posted January 24 2007 - 01:44 PM

Quote:
What did you find faulty about the video, Ron? I know for a fact that Dave Klein was intentionally going for a desaturated*, somewhat grainy look to help tie it in with the original CLERKS. He even shot on fast 500-speed Kodak film stock and pushed it one stop in the processing to accent the grain. Is it the grain that bothers you? Or the desaturated colors*2? Because both of those image-quality attributes are completely intentional.

Vincent

* Except for the dance sequence, where they OVER-saturated the colors to give it an almost 3-Strip Technicolor look, again intentionally.

*2 They achieved said desaturation via a Digital Intermediate, which was also used to overly saturated the colors in the dance sequence mentioned above. I believe they also used the DI stage to further bring out the grain in the final film.

I could have sworn Clerks was B/W. I will have to revisit the title, but if thats the way they intended the movie to look all grainy and saturated I would say they hit the target. Personally I think it was a mistake to film it like that.
HD-DVD Player Toshiba A3
TV 42" Vizio LCD via HDMI at 1080i

"High definition is like getting a new pair of glasses...It makes the fuzzy go Away."

#29 of 37 BrettGallman

BrettGallman

Screenwriter

• 1,392 posts

Posted January 24 2007 - 03:38 PM

The original Clerks was black and white. Clerks II isn't though, and that's what Vincent was talking about.
Balls Academy -  Your Alma mater for teen films, raunchy, low-brow comedies, sexploitation & coming of age dramas.

#30 of 37 ppltd

ppltd

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted January 26 2007 - 03:45 AM

Quote:

Vincent
I am not sure about what the original source was, but all three reviews I have read have state the HD-DVD extras are certainly mastered in 1080
Quote:
DVD Town Review
Extras:
"Clerks 2" on HD-DVD is billed as the "2-Disc Edition." ... All of the supplements on the second disc are included in full 1080 high definition. In a world where we still have to deal with most of our value added content in 480p standard definition, I´m always happy to see an effort to make an entire package part of the high definition experience

#31 of 37 Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter

• 1,413 posts

Posted January 26 2007 - 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppltd
I am not sure about what the original source was, but all three reviews I have read have state the HD-DVD extras are certainly mastered in 1080
Here are two that say they aren't. Admittedly, one's by me. Posted Image

DVD Talk
Home Theater Spot

It's not out of the realm of possibility that two of the reviewers you cited were parrotting High Def Digest's claim.

It's possible that the extras are presented in 1080p on HD DVD, but if it is, it's upscaled/upconverted/whatever from standard definition. It's pretty solid standard def, for the most part, but they wholly lack the detail and clarity of high-definition.

#32 of 37 ppltd

ppltd

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted January 26 2007 - 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
It's possible that the extras are presented in 1080p on HD DVD, but if it is, it's upscaled/upconverted/whatever from standard definition. It's pretty solid standard def, for the most part, but they wholly lack the detail and clarity of high-definition.
You could be right. It certainly could be upconverted from a 480p source. Wish the studios would list the specs (assuming they are accurate) on the covers. It would go along way to eliminate the confusion.

#33 of 37 BrettGallman

BrettGallman

Screenwriter

• 1,392 posts

Posted January 26 2007 - 06:40 PM

Well, I watched this last night, and my A1 did stutter a couple of times; nothing major, but kind of distracting. Luckilly, I love this movie so much that it didn't bother me too much. Still, is there any word out there if there's going to be a firmware update to patch up some of the problems with these Weinstein discs?

#34 of 37 Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,251 posts

Posted January 29 2007 - 02:38 AM

I watched this the other night and experienced a couple of glitches on my HD-A2. At one point, it seemed like a long layer change as there was a two second pause.

I hate to say it, but I'm losing confidence in Toshiba's abilities and quality control. I dumped my HD-A1 last year because of the same issues and it still seems like they are still there.

#35 of 37 BrettGallman

BrettGallman

Screenwriter

• 1,392 posts

Posted January 29 2007 - 01:50 PM

Well, to be fair to Toshiba, plenty of people have been able to play the disc with no problems, so it seems like all these Weinstein issues are a result of disc problems, rather than player problems.

#36 of 37 ppltd

ppltd

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted January 30 2007 - 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettGallman
Well, to be fair to Toshiba, plenty of people have been able to play the disc with no problems, so it seems like all these Weinstein issues are a result of disc problems, rather than player problems.
I have read somewhere, and I don't recall where that Weinstein was working with MS to try a determine what is causing the issues (long load times, stuttering, freezes) in their disks. I do not recall ever reading a resolution to the problems. BTW, while I experienced some of these problems on my XA1, but have had no problems on my new XA2 or HD-DVD add-on with the Weinstein disks.

#37 of 37 dkny75

dkny75

Stunt Coordinator

• 189 posts

Posted January 30 2007 - 05:19 AM

I'm pretty sure it's a disc problem. I have a HD A1 with 2.0 fw and I've never had a long load time or problems on any of the Weinstein titles. (Knock on wood).

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow