Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

The Devils (1971) What's the hold up?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 of 14 OFFLINE   Greg_M

Greg_M

Screenwriter

• 1,193 posts

Posted January 20 2007 - 06:30 AM

Anyone know what's going on with this Warner Bros. Title? I've heard so many different things: That Warner Bros won't release an X rated film That an uncensored version is floating around after it was broadcast on a British cable station. A documentary was put together with the cut sequences Warner Bros has mentioned in chats that's it's being considered The edited version was released on VHS here in the states Anyone know the story?

#2 of 14 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 4,185 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted January 21 2007 - 02:08 PM

In answer to the first one, no; they've already released two films that were previously X-rated but re-rated R on resubmission to the MPAA (The Director's Cut of The Wild Bunch and Luchino Visconti's The Damned), and I think The Devils would likely get re-rated on resubmission. Number two sounds like an urban legend. Number three I have no knowledge of. Number four: yes, it has been mentioned in chats. Number five is correct. I think it's more likely a case of getting around to releasing it, like Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#3 of 14 OFFLINE   Mike Heenan

Mike Heenan

Second Unit

• 405 posts

Posted January 21 2007 - 02:13 PM

#2 is not an urban legend... although even that version is missing one scene, that I think WAS filmed but left out... or it doesn't exist anymore, not sure.

#4 of 14 OFFLINE   Bob Graham

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor

• 507 posts

Posted January 21 2007 - 02:39 PM

I keep hoping for a Ken Russel box from Warner with: THE DEVILS:SE; ALTERATED STATES: REMASTERED SE; THE BOY FRIEND; LISZTOMANIA; and SAVAGE MESSIAH.

#5 of 14 OFFLINE   JeffMc

JeffMc

Supporting Actor

• 529 posts
  • LocationAntarctica

Posted January 21 2007 - 02:42 PM

Channel 4 in the UK broadcast the uncut version of the film (minus the always missing "Rape of Christ" sequence which was cut from the film by the BBC censors before its original release). However, that network also broadcast a documentary about the history and censorship of the film which DID include the legendary "Rape of Christ" sequence, unseen for years by basically everybody but those original BBC censors. Later on, a somewhat gray market DVD label in the US took the UK broadast of the uncut film, re-inserted the Rape of Christ sequence where it belongs in the film, and issued their own DVD of the completely uncut version (albeit with a bit of aspect ratio problems). It's not perfect by any means, but it remains the best version available so far considering Warners US seemingly has no interest in doing anything with the film themselves. So #2 and #3 of the OP's post are basically correct.

#6 of 14 OFFLINE   CameronMcC

CameronMcC

Second Unit

• 298 posts

Posted January 21 2007 - 03:21 PM

we need a merge...

http://www.hometheat....ghlight=Devils

#7 of 14 OFFLINE   Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer

Producer

• 4,269 posts

Posted January 22 2007 - 02:41 AM

The dubious DVD referenced above isn't completely uncut; it's still missing the sequence
near the end where Vanessa Redgrave masturbates with the charred thigh bone of Grandier.
But since that's shown in the bonus materials (I think the documentary Hell on Earth), at least you get to see it. The Rape of Christ sequence is also for some inexplicable reason presented in black and white, intercut with color footage of Grandier performing a mass in the woods. It's in color in the Hell on Earth documentary though.

#8 of 14 OFFLINE   JeffMc

JeffMc

Supporting Actor

• 529 posts
  • LocationAntarctica

Posted January 22 2007 - 03:39 AM

That's strange. It's completely in color on the copy I have.

#9 of 14 OFFLINE   David_B_K

David_B_K

Advanced Member

• 1,650 posts

Posted January 22 2007 - 06:19 AM

I'd like to see a release of Russell's Clouds of Glory. This was a 2-part British TV film Russelll did on the Lake Poets Wordsworth and Coleridge.

The first part-William and Dorothy focused on the poet Wordsworth's (David Warner) relationship with his sister (Felicity Kendal). The second part-Rime of the Ancient Mariner dealt with the poet Coleridge (David Hemmings) and his addiction to opiates.

I have not seen this since catching it on Bravo back in the early 80's. My VCR was on the fritz, so I never managed to tape it. The Coleridge half was most popular, as the opium sequences seemed to fit everybody's idea of what Russell films should be like. However, I really preferred the Wordsworth half, mainly for David Warner's beautiful readings of some of Wordsworth's great poetry.

There, that's my thread hijacking for the day....

#10 of 14 OFFLINE   Greg_M

Greg_M

Screenwriter

• 1,193 posts

Posted January 22 2007 - 07:32 AM

A friend of mine passed on some interesting information over at YouTUbe under "Devils, Reed" there are scenes from the BBC Documentary and the rape of Christ sequence is there too.

#11 of 14 OFFLINE   Anthony Thorne

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor

• 529 posts

Posted January 22 2007 - 08:58 AM

Warners have removed most of those DEVILS clips from YouTube. Maybe if we ask them nicely in the chat for a DVD... Mark Kermode hinted of a 2006 S.E around a year ago, but it obviously never came to fruition. Like many of us, I would love to buy a nicely restored disc of THE DEVILS. I think a DEVILS Special Edition would be a nice gift to director Russell after he suffered the multiple traumas of (a.) having his house burn down, and (b.) enduring two days in the Big Brother house. There's a trend visible there and a gag regarding quick exits to be created for anyone who wanted to put in the effort but I can't be bothered for the moment.

#12 of 14 OFFLINE   Greg_M

Greg_M

Screenwriter

• 1,193 posts

Posted January 22 2007 - 10:10 AM

I watched some of the DVD extras on YouTube Saturday night, but you are right - Warner Bros. has now removed them from the youtube site. They were very intersting. I don't see what the big deal is, this is 2007 - almost anything goes The rape of Christ scene wasn't so bad, I've seen worse stuff. "The Exorcist" was much worse

#13 of 14 OFFLINE   Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer

Producer

• 4,269 posts

Posted January 23 2007 - 04:33 AM

I'd also like to see a release of Russell's Lisztomania.

#14 of 14 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 10,292 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted January 23 2007 - 04:34 AM

this is a great idea! I'd pick it up in a second.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users