-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Tex Avery's Droopy-Complete Theatrical Collection coming 5-15-07

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
64 replies to this topic

#1 of 65 Tony S

Tony S

Stunt Coordinator

• 211 posts

Posted January 18 2007 - 07:53 AM

This was posted on:

http://www.digitalbits.com/#mytwocents

Can't wait to get this. Hopefully they will also release the remaining Tex Avery MGM cartoons.

#2 of 65 Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted January 18 2007 - 08:25 AM

Wow!

This is awesome news. Hopefully, they got the same restoration treatment as their other cartoons. ...and bring on the rest of the Avery's. These are by far my favorite cartoons.

It also says that Tom & Jerry V2 is coming 5/15. Is that a typo, and meant to be V3?

#3 of 65 Tony S

Tony S

Stunt Coordinator

• 211 posts

Posted January 18 2007 - 08:32 AM

It says Tom & Jerry Tales Vol 2. I don't think it is a typo.

Hopefully these Tex shorts will be uncut.

#4 of 65 PaulP

PaulP

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted January 18 2007 - 08:59 AM

OHMYFUCKINGGODYES!

#5 of 65 Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff

Screenwriter

• 2,014 posts

Posted January 18 2007 - 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony S
This was posted on:

http://www.digitalbits.com/#mytwocents

Can't wait to get this. Hopefully they will also release the remaining Tex Avery MGM cartoons.

Am I in the Twilight Zone? I don't see a thing about this in the link you gave.

#6 of 65 Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted January 18 2007 - 11:58 PM

It says Tom & Jerry Tales Vol 2. I don't think it is a typo.

Hopefully these Tex shorts will be uncut.

I guess I was seeing things. No interest in T&J Tales.

#7 of 65 Tony S

Tony S

Stunt Coordinator

• 211 posts

Posted January 19 2007 - 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Lugoff
Am I in the Twilight Zone? I don't see a thing about this in the link you gave.

Try this one:

http://www.thedigita...sa132.html#psez

#8 of 65 Andrew Chong

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor

• 739 posts

Posted January 19 2007 - 01:09 AM

I'm curious about the Droopy shorts:
  • How many of them are there?
  • Weren't the Warner animated releases being called golden collections or spotlight collections? Because of this, I wonder if it'll be in the same league as the, for instance, golden collections. I'll hope for the best, cautiously optimistic as always.

ac

#9 of 65 Douglas R

Douglas R

Screenwriter

• 1,804 posts
  • LocationLondon, United Kingdom

Posted January 19 2007 - 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Chong
I'm curious about the Droopy shorts:[list][*]How many of them are there?

I make it 15 in all which would make one disc of about 105 minutes as follows:

Dumb Hounded

Shooting of Dan McGoo
Wild & Woolfy

North West Hounded Police

Senor Droopy
Out-Foxed

The Chump Chase

Daredevil Droopy
Droopys Good Deed

Three Little Pups

Drag-Along Droopy
Homesteader Droopy
Dixieland Droopy (Cinemascope)

Deputy Droopy (Co-Director)
Millionaire Droopy

#10 of 65 Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted January 19 2007 - 04:09 AM

As much as I want the Avery cartoons first, I hope they follow up with the remaining Droopy cartoons. I was always partial to "Leprechaun Droopy".

"Quit Hittin' me with that shillelagh!"

#11 of 65 Russell G

Russell G

Lead Actor

• 9,702 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted January 19 2007 - 05:06 AM

this is great!! I want all the Tex Averys of course, but I'll gladly take these first!!

Let's pray there are no goof ups like what plagued the previous T&J collections [bites fist].

#12 of 65 Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,065 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted January 19 2007 - 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas R
I make it 15 in all which would make one disc of about 105 minutes as follows:

Dumb Hounded

Shooting of Dan McGoo
Wild & Woolfy

North West Hounded Police

Senor Droopy
Out-Foxed

The Chump Chase

Daredevil Droopy
Droopys Good Deed

Three Little Pups

Drag-Along Droopy
Homesteader Droopy
Dixieland Droopy (Cinemascope)

Deputy Droopy (Co-Director)
Millionaire Droopy

There was also "Wags to Riches" from 1949 (1955's "Millionaire Droopy" is a CinemaScope "recomposition" of this one) and "Droopy's Double Trouble" from 1951 (featuring Droopy's twin brother Drippy). Also, I believe the cartoon from 1950 is called "The Chump Champ" (not "Chase").

That makes a total of 17 shorts.

Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#13 of 65 Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Executive Producer

• 14,225 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted January 19 2007 - 05:19 AM

Wahay you should see my droopy shorts. Russwell! It's a small cyberverse after all! Posted Image

Great news regarding the Tex Avery Droopy's. I hope the rest of Tex MGM output gets released eventually, there are only how many 65-66? in total.

I watched a bunch of Tex Avery's early Warner Bros work and there are quite a few gems there that could be released as a set eventually. I think there's about 60 Tex Avery WB shorts, including some Bugs, Daffy and Porky Pig. Posted Image

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#14 of 65 Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff

Screenwriter

• 2,014 posts

Posted January 19 2007 - 05:33 AM

There's one little problem, as usual with old movies and cartoons. There's at least one joke in one cartoon (and probably more) that would be considered "racist" by today's standards. And I do believe it was excised from the Laserdisc set "The Compleat Tex Avery."

I'd like it restored (fat chance), because, regardless of any other considerations, it was damn funny.

#15 of 65 Russell G

Russell G

Lead Actor

• 9,702 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted January 19 2007 - 07:01 AM

Quote:
Wahay you should see my droopy shorts. Russwell! It's a small cyberverse after all! Posted Image

Who's this Christoooo fella wit day shorts???

I actually wouldn;t mind if they made repeated Loony tunes in order to make a complete Avery set to go along with the Droops. That would be great. All Avery in one place.

Warners has generally been really good with unrated toons. It seems most of the off colour jokes I recall are from Tex's output, so I would epect them to be doubly sure to make these uncut.

#16 of 65 Kevin Martinez

Kevin Martinez

Second Unit

• 496 posts

Posted January 19 2007 - 08:28 AM

There were also 6 Cinemascope Droopys directed by Michael Lah ( IIRC only one of which has been released on Home Video in its OAR thus far) and another one by Dick Lundy, so if WHV wanted to, they could stick those 6 on the Droopy DVD as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Lugoff
There's one little problem, as usual with old movies and cartoons. There's at least one joke in one cartoon (and probably more) that would be considered "racist" by today's standards. And I do believe it was excised from the Laserdisc set "The Compleat Tex Avery."

I'd like it restored (fat chance), because, regardless of any other considerations, it was damn funny.

There are only two Droopy cartoons with Un-PC gags that were cut in the past (I'll plead the fifth on Which two right now), but other than those two, The Droopy series is on the whole pretty PC (moreso than Tom and Jerry).

Also, I would like to know what's keeping the complete Tex Avery DVD set that has been hinted at for years?

#17 of 65 AaronMan

AaronMan

Second Unit

• 286 posts

Posted January 19 2007 - 12:35 PM

It sounds like they are busting up the Tex Avery boxset that has been available overseas for years. Either they want more money by selling individual sets, or they are trying to somehow avoid releasing some of Avery's less politically correct cartoons. But even the region 2 DVD boxset doesn't contain all the cartoons on the Compleat Tex Avery laserdisc box set, and some of the cartoons that it does contain have cuts or changes.

The Compleat Tex Avery laserdisc box set is the holy grail if your wanting all of Avery's MGM material.

#18 of 65 Kevin Martinez

Kevin Martinez

Second Unit

• 496 posts

Posted January 19 2007 - 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronMan
The Compleat Tex Avery laserdisc box set is the holy grail if your wanting all of Avery's MGM material.

Except even THAT wasn't fully uncut.

This could also be Warner releasing a collection of Avery shorts for the "Joe Sixpack" market, or they could be testing the waters to see if there's a market for Non-Tom and Jerry MGM cartoons and thus an Avery boxset.

#19 of 65 AaronMan

AaronMan

Second Unit

• 286 posts

Posted January 19 2007 - 08:01 PM

Yes, but the laserdisc set is the closest thing we have or probably will ever get to "definitive".

Its a shame too, because I always thought the MGM stuff was so much more diverse and had a lot more replay value than the Warner Bros or Disney shorts. They were the most violent (Screwy Squirrel was brilliant), contained rapid fire visual gags, broke the fourth wall constantly, and those fake documentaries were hilarious. I loved watching those "(Fill in the blank) of Tomorrow" cartoons. Avery went for the jugular every time.

#20 of 65 Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter

• 1,142 posts

Posted January 19 2007 - 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_McAlinden
There was also "Wags to Riches" from 1949 (1955's "Millionaire Droopy" is a CinemaScope "recomposition" of this one) and "Droopy's Double Trouble" from 1951 (featuring Droopy's twin brother Drippy). Also, I believe the cartoon from 1950 is called "The Chump Champ" (not "Chase").

That makes a total of 17 shorts.

Regards,

Don't forget "Mutts About Racing," another CinemaScope cartoon.
"As I looked back over my life, I realized that I enjoyed nothing--not art, not sex--more than going to the movies." -- Gore Vidal

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow