Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Star Trek TOS DVD/HD-DVD coming

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
129 replies to this topic

#41 of 130 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,556 posts

Posted July 10 2007 - 04:03 AM

It's all good TravisR! Posted Image

It's funny in that it has become so predictable and the comments have become universal. No matter what forums you're looking at!

#42 of 130 OFFLINE   Bill>Moore

Bill>Moore

Second Unit

• 366 posts

Posted July 11 2007 - 04:29 PM

Like many new features on titles I already own, I'll look for it in a rental someday and check it out then. No need to keep dipping for something that was "fixed" when it wasn't broken.

#43 of 130 OFFLINE   Dave Mack

Dave Mack

Producer

• 4,665 posts

Posted July 11 2007 - 06:01 PM

Holy multiple threads! 3 going on at once now for Trek remastered..!!!!

#44 of 130 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,908 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted July 11 2007 - 11:38 PM

Lifetime fan.

I've been watching the standard versions through again lately. I'm surprised about how much I love them like this, untouched. The effects were often great for the time period (often cheesy too). The new versions are simply a curiosity for me, heightened by the slended teasers they've been doing. I hope they'll release a sampler set with a couple of HD episodes so I can get a taste. I'd rather not download singles. Give me a DVD!
Silly Party Candidate: Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#45 of 130 OFFLINE   Sky King

Sky King

Stunt Coordinator

• 93 posts

Posted July 12 2007 - 10:41 PM

I really can't imagine Star Trek TOS looking any better than it already does. Paramount's restoration brought out some things I had never noticed before.
I bought the set housed in the yellow plastic case a few years back and watching it today on my 50 in plasma set, I can see where Shatner's hairpiece is attached to his scalp and where Spock's pointed ears are attached to his real ears. Also, I can see the "blocking effect" used to move the Enterprise across the screen.
The show looks good enough to me as it is. Not interested in any HD version...even with the new CGI effects.

John
" In God we trust...all others pay cash." (Jean Shepherd)

#46 of 130 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,556 posts

Posted July 13 2007 - 03:19 AM

Fair enough John. I've only noticed one place, by the way, where the Shat's hair lifts in the back.

The cool thing about the HD remasters, if you've not seen them, is the color saturation and clarity and detail. The new DVD's you have and I and most here have are really great, yes, but these HD remasters are pretty amazing to see for the reasons mentioned already. The DVD's look overly bright and actually a tad faded in comparison! And I was really surprised by that. My opinion, of course.

#47 of 130 OFFLINE   ScottR

ScottR

Screenwriter

• 2,650 posts

Posted July 13 2007 - 05:36 AM

I love the look of the new HD masters (the new CGI, notwithstanding)...also love that the Desilu logo appears to have been restored...it isn't faded anymore and doesn't have the 1978 Paramount copyright superimposed over the vintage logo.

#48 of 130 OFFLINE   Kipp Teague

Kipp Teague

Stunt Coordinator

• 71 posts

Posted July 15 2007 - 06:41 AM

The CGI renderings of the Enterprise have improved quite a bit during the course of the CBS project. The attached images are from the opening sequence of last week's updated version of "Return to Tomorrow."

Posted Image

Posted Image

#49 of 130 OFFLINE   mcintosh

mcintosh

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted July 16 2007 - 12:38 PM

Nelson Au, where can I get this series. I now record Star Trek on Cablevision at 5:00am in the morning, here in New York. I love love to get it. I read about it in Home theater, but misplaced the magazine.

#50 of 130 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,556 posts

Posted July 26 2007 - 04:05 AM

Gregory- check out trekmovie.com, they have a link on their site with station info for who is broadcasting Star Trek Remastered. Here's a link as it's hard to find on the site: http://trekmovie.com....-channel-list/

So the news has been released about the SD/HD-DVD release date, cost and content. It's being discussed in the HD Software section.

Naturally, the comments are predictable!Posted Image Cost, double dipping, and format.

#51 of 130 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,345 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted July 26 2007 - 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson Au
Naturally, the comments are predictable!Posted Image Cost, double dipping, and format.
I'm definitely a "If you don't like the price, don't buy it and don't whine"-type of guy but an MSRP over $200 is pretty steep. That being said, it does seem worth it if you're a big Trek fan because it certainly sounds like a very nice set.

#52 of 130 OFFLINE   Garysb

Garysb

Screenwriter

• 1,446 posts

Posted July 26 2007 - 06:17 AM

If all TV shows on HD DVD are priced similarly to Star Trek TOS I can't see the format being anymore successful than laser discs . Hopefully prices will go down in time. Weighing improved image and sound against cost , HD is not worth it to me. I know others feel differently and that is fine. Hopefully enough people are willing to pay the price so that studios will continue to release stuff so that people who want it can get it. At the current price point, I will not be one of them.

#53 of 130 OFFLINE   Tony J Case

Tony J Case

Screenwriter

• 1,739 posts

Posted July 26 2007 - 07:46 AM

Quote:
It's good to know that they appear to have settled on releasing the HD version of Star Trek Remastered in OAR.

That's a pity - why not go balls to the wall and give 'em the widescreen look. Sure you'd have to take some time when cropping the top and bottom of the picture, make sure that it looked good and you just didnt lop Spock off at the forehead - but you could make it look pretty smooth with some care.

#54 of 130 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,345 posts

Posted July 26 2007 - 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony J Case
That's a pity - why not go balls to the wall and give 'em the widescreen look.
Because the show was shot 4x3. Why not crop off the tops of Citizen Kane and Casablanca too? Posted Image

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garysb
If all TV shows on HD DVD are priced similarly to Star Trek TOS I can't see the format being anymore successful then laser discs . Hopefully prices will go down in time.
Star Trek is the exception and not the rule. Most shows are around $100 or under (and no one pays the MSRP anyway). That's certainly a higher price than SD discs but like you said, I think the prices will eventually drop on HD products too. The X-Files had an MSRP of $150 when they first came out and I think the MSRP is $50 now. Paramount just knows they have a near inexhaustable reasource of money with Trek fans and they bleed them.

#55 of 130 OFFLINE   David Levine

David Levine

Supporting Actor

• 502 posts

Posted July 26 2007 - 11:27 AM

It doesn't seem that unreasonable to me. It is 10 HD discs. And unless you buy it at Suncoast, you aren't going to pay MSRP. I'm sure it'll be available for around ~150.00.

Sopranos HD has an MSRP of 130.00 and it's 4 discs.

#56 of 130 OFFLINE   Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge

Screenwriter

• 2,379 posts

Posted July 26 2007 - 11:49 AM

CBS and Paramount can go screw themselves. Over $200 just for one season? I don't think so!!! I would have considered $100 but forget that crap ...

I can understand the price for the HD-DVD but what about those fans who just want the DVD with the upgraded episodes?

#57 of 130 OFFLINE   Tony J Case

Tony J Case

Screenwriter

• 1,739 posts

Posted July 27 2007 - 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisR
Because the show was shot 4x3. Why not crop off the tops of Citizen Kane and Casablanca too? Posted Image

Well, mostly because they didnt go through Casablanca and Citizen Kane and add in all new special effects. If they decided to add in - oh, say an army of Nazi troops in the background of Casablanca - I'd say go ahead and colorize it, give it 5.1 sound and widescreen the hell out of that sucker.

Any claims of purity and vision to the original broadcast went out the window with the new effects shots. So holding back somthing like making it letterboxed really seems like a half assed effort to me.

#58 of 130 OFFLINE   John H Ross

John H Ross

Screenwriter

• 1,047 posts

Posted July 27 2007 - 04:34 AM

Quote:
The cool thing about the HD remasters, if you've not seen them, is the color saturation and clarity and detail. The new DVD's you have and I and most here have are really great, yes, but these HD remasters are pretty amazing to see for the reasons mentioned already. The DVD's look overly bright and actually a tad faded in comparison! And I was really surprised by that. My opinion, of course.

The thing is though, what's the point of bringing out all of that extra clarity and realism to the live-action images if they're then gonna go and **** it up by changing all of the SFX sequences? They even went and re-scored the opening title music? I mean... WHY?!?

I'm sorry but the original DVDs are a far better representation of what original Trek was supposed to look like so that's what I'm sticking with.

#59 of 130 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,345 posts

Posted July 27 2007 - 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony J Case
Any claims of purity and vision to the original broadcast went out the window with the new effects shots.
Changing the effects shots doesn't change how the live action shots were framed.

#60 of 130 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,556 posts

Posted July 27 2007 - 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H Ross
The thing is though, what's the point of bringing out all of that extra clarity and realism to the live-action images if they're then gonna go and **** it up by changing all of the SFX sequences? They even went and re-scored the opening title music? I mean... WHY?!?

I'm sorry but the original DVDs are a far better representation of what original Trek was supposed to look like so that's what I'm sticking with.

Fair enough and you can do that.Posted Image The last set of DVD's are now the defacto original versions. (Barring Paramount CBS releasing new discs of non CGI TOS as HD verisons some time in the future)

Not to sound like I am a CBS Digital spokesman, their reasoning for the remastering of the effects with CGI was that the optical effects just were not good enough to stand up to HD, in their opinion. And that really means that all the layering of the film elements looked dirty, scratched, overly grainy, and in many cases, the bluescreen effects bled and parts of the Enterprise disappeared. So they saw this as an opportunity to update the effects and depict the action more accurately to the plot to match the beautifully remastered live action.

Sure, it's like colorizing. I don't like the new title music either. The singer is too upfront. But there is enough coolness in the HD version of the live action augmented with the mostly well done CGI effects that makes this a very interesting alternative version.

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow