What's new

Star Trek TOS DVD/HD-DVD coming (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Looks like the news is practically official; The Digital Bits reports Star Trek TOS will be re-released end of this year on DVD and HD-DVD and also Blu-Ray at some point will be supported. Time to quadruple-dip and make the jump to either HD or Blu-Ray.:laugh:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

Sounds like one of the films will be out too. I hope Star Trek: The Motion Picture will get that remaster clean-up and the new effects re-rendered at HD resolution.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Well hell... I needed to buy TOS.

Again.

Argh. I'm not angry... I figured this would happen with the new TOS: Remastered. Still frustrating that I'll have to double-dip again. (... and yah... I have to. Must. Have. Dammit to hell.)

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
No thanks - I only needed to buy the series once. Frankly the new "improved" effects look like total shit, and you couldnt pay me to take these discs off their hands.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I hope these will stay in production for a while, since many of us are waiting out the format war. Also, not sure what shape a DVD/HD-DVD hybrid would take, but I'm guessing it will be a double-sided disc (like the Warner Blu/HD-DVD discs will supposedly be). I'm not a fan of double-sided discs, and would wait for the (presumably single-sided) Blu-Ray release on that alone.

I would like to get TOS in high def, someday. But I'm not going to jump in until this format war is over. Period.

And if that means I have to stick with my standard DVD Treks, that's fine. I have long thought the TOS DVDs look stunning.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

Same for me. I just got TOS for Christmas for the 1st time. I didn't own the previous "volume" sets. I think the xfrs are outstanding and I like the menu navigations.

I'll be one of the longer "wait-types" for the HD DVD issues to stabilize.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
There's a few other factors here. One thing that is great about this news is that Star Trek, the original, is hot again.

Paramount is smart and CBS knows what they got. And they are simply taking a property that's popular and using it to add TV shows on HD. I think the article said that it was time that Paramount makes HD material available for those who have not gone into HD yet. It was inevitable, not like they were trying to get you to buy Star Trek again, the technology exists, so they are making the show available now.

I knew when I bought the last season box set this would happen. I was prepared to buy it again, this technology is ever changing and I'm sure there will be another format down the road.

There are concerns to be sure, like what is this hybrid disc like and how good will it be.

The current newly remastered episodes that are broadcast now look quite good! In fact the new CGI Enterprise is a massive improvement over the early broadcasts. They will hopefully allow budget and time for the CBS Digital team to go back and redo those earlier shows.

Given that they want to release HD-DVD's of the series end of this year seems rushed in order to have all the new effects ready. And does that mean they will be season sets or just the shows they've got done and on hand.

Also, what about releasing on the same set, the remastered show without the new CGI. They've got to do that! And extras that have more substance would be appreciated. I know that some will want the Blooper reel, but I don't think that will see the light of day for some time.

Forgot to add, regardign pricing, now that CBS is involved, I have to think that the pricing will be structured, I think I read that somewhere here. And wasn't the Star Trek TAS box set evidence of that?

Bill Hunt is on the ball on this and I'm sure he'll update us as news comes in here and at the Trekmovie site. He's getting around!

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit
It'll be a good chance to see how many episodes fit on an HD DVD. I read one report that said an entire season could fit on one. Guess we'll see.

Mike*SC

Second Unit

Wow, you sure could pay me. I think I'd take as little as $5 to accept DVDs, but I'm willing to negotiate upward from there.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
So, are they going to include the original versions remastered? I would buy them if they do because I like the look of the HD remasters (but not the new effects.) I also like that they restored the original Desilu logo without the 1978 copyright.

Ira Siegel

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ira Siegel

I got the full set of TOS DVDs about 10 days ago. I, too, think they look great. The bonus is that my 14 year old daughter, who has never seen any episodes of TOS before, thinks the TOS episodes are fantastic. (Yes, she thinks they're "cheesy," but it is she that insists on watching them.)

I'm very happy with them, and I will wait until the High-Def format war is resolved before bying High-Def discs. (Where are the Organians when we need them?)

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Not sure I will purchase them. I shelled out about $2200 altogether to get the franchise before the end of 2006. Thats a lot of $$ but I did it because I don't trust Paramount not to pull them from production. The format war is also one reason I haven't gone to HD yet.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
If the release includes both the original versions of the episodes and the new versions with the redone effects, I'm all for it. If it only includes the redos, I'm not interested. I saw a couple of them on TV, and they didn't look bad by any means, but it just seemed so..unnecessary.

Ira Siegel

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ira Siegel
Can any TOS set be complete without the real final episode, made in June of 1976- that is, the Saturday Night Live skit entitled, "The Last Voyage of the Starship Enterprise," with John Belushi as Captain Kirk, Chevy Chase as Mr. Spock, and Dan Aykroyd as Dr. McCoy, who encounter an intruder, played by Ellio Gould. The intruder turns out to be an NBC exec who announces that Star Trek is immediately cancelled, and all the props were slowly being dismantled. All but Kirk leave, leaving him to make his final "Captain's Log" entry:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
It appears that CBS has officially announced today that Star Trek TOS Remastered will be out on hybrid DVD/HD-DVD by Q4 of 2007. According to the news from trekmovie.com the first season is being prepared now to meet the release date. However, this does not impact the release schedule for the remastered shows airing weekly now.

No details on aspect ratios or extras or if they will release the non-enhanced episodes in HD yet. BD release info was not mentioned, but in the past it was said to follow sometime after the HD-DVD release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks