Jump to content

Sign up for a free account to remove the pop-up ads

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

- - - - -

1 more sub "what would you get"?

  • You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   Revenoor



  • 4 posts
  • Join Date: Nov 22 2006

Posted January 16 2007 - 01:09 PM

Hello to all, I have finally received the blessing from the family CFO to update my sub. My sig has the hardware list that I mainly use in this 14 x 24 x 8' finished basement room. The room can be closed off from all others. Use of room is 75% HDTV/DVD and 25% music CD/vinyl. Depending on the mood it be anywhere from 75-100db. Due to dealer choice and budget constraints I am limited to the following 3 subwoofers: one Velodyne DD-12 or one SVS PB12-Plus/2 or 2 HSU VTF3 MK3s (non-turbo). I can not audition any of these except to use the 30-45 days all bets off return on all 3 of these subs. I can't have them here all at once. I guess I am looking for anyone of ya'll that may have been fortunate enough to have heard at least 2 of the 3 to compare the following qualities: HT use to musicallity (is that a word), tight sharp bass vs non-distinct muddled sounds and SPL. 'preciate any insight you may have.

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Arthur S

Arthur S


  • 2,572 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 02 1999

Posted January 16 2007 - 04:29 PM

Hi Mike You really can't have the best musicality and the greatest volume at the same time...for sound quality, the Velo would be my first choice...the best compromise would be 2 HSU VTF-3MKIII...or for even less money...one HSU VTF-3MKIII plus the HSU Mid Bass Module (MBM) would have significant impact at the listening position using the MBM in near-field placement...at the recent Las Vegas High End Show, people were coming back to the HSU demo because the impact of the MBM and other HSU speakers was so impressive...I have two HSU VTF-3HO + Turbos and I can't begin to use their full capacity. Happy New Year PS If I was going to spend >$6,000, I would get 2 Velo DD-18's, but HSU delivers excellent bang for the buck. PPS Two HSU has more cabinet volume than 1 SVS PB-12/Plus 2, and is more easily placed and easier to move around.

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   SethH



  • 2,867 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 17 2003

Posted January 16 2007 - 09:40 PM

Another option around that same price would be to get two of the SVS SB12-Plus sealed subs. These should be more "musical" than the PB12-Plus.

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams


  • 1,551 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 13 1999

Posted January 17 2007 - 03:51 AM

I second that. I am considering trying out one or two of those. Due to the sealed design I am sure it would be a little more accurate and tighter sounding than my PB12-NSD.
"I'm your Huckleberry"

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt


  • 6,016 posts
  • Join Date: Aug 05 1999
  • Real Name:Wayne
  • LocationKaty, TX

Posted January 17 2007 - 07:17 AM

I had a chance to compare the SB12-Plus and PB12-NSD head-to-head a few months ago, and much to my surprise, the SB wasn’t tighter or more musical in my room. In fact I couldn’t tell them apart, sound-quality wise. However, the PB12 was louder and had better extension, as you’d expect from a larger, ported sub. Regards, Wayne A. Pflughaupt
My Equipment List
“A nice mid-fi system,” according to an audiophile acquaintance.

My Tech / DIY Articles and Reviews

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

    Lead Actor

  • 6,531 posts
  • Join Date: Aug 19 2002

Posted January 17 2007 - 07:39 AM

That's because, IMHO, the easily measured lack of lower extension of most sealed subs has morphed via internet/audiophile speak into unqualifiable, unquantifiable terms like "tight and more musical". Posted Image

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   John F. Palacio

John F. Palacio

    Supporting Actor

  • 576 posts
  • Join Date: Jan 06 2002

Posted January 20 2007 - 10:57 AM

Best regards.

Freelance Video Control Engineer

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   Revenoor



  • 4 posts
  • Join Date: Nov 22 2006

Posted January 22 2007 - 11:22 PM

Thanks all, my head hurts...Now let's figure in the sub eq with this. SMS-1? oops, now over budget would have to lower the cost of sub or go with one HSU + MBM + SMS 1 (hear that the MBM can be a tiger to tame integration wise) or perhaps go with the REW/BFD for $100 or so.

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   mazersteven


    Stunt Coordinator

  • 195 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 16 2006

Posted January 23 2007 - 02:16 AM

If only 25% for music, then I wold be looking to get the best subwoofer for the other 75% movies.

The PB12-Plus/2 would be incredible in your size room. And at the volumes you claim it would handle it with out a sweat. Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users