Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Any chance of HD DVD King Kong (2006) Director's Cut?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper

Screenwriter

• 1,284 posts

Posted January 16 2007 - 11:42 AM

OK, so I recently purchased the Director's Cut of Peter Jackson's King Kong on SD DVD, and loved it. The only thing preventing me from picking up the current HD DVD of this movie is that it is the theatrical version. Considering that I've already double dipped on the SD side, picking this HD version up would be a triple dip, and then a quadruple dip if the Director's cut ever came to HD. What do you think the odds would be that Universal would release a HD Kong Director's cut any time soon? Would this be the first HD Double dip if they did?
-Jeff Cooper

"Curse you inspector Dim! You are too clever for us naughty people."

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   Dave Mack

Dave Mack

Producer

• 4,665 posts

Posted January 16 2007 - 12:00 PM

I don't think soon but I do think eventually. The studios love to make $.

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   Rachael B

Rachael B

Producer

• 4,637 posts

Posted January 16 2007 - 02:06 PM

I'd like a director's cut where they made the film shorter, call it the Cliff Notes Director's Cut. I find even the theatrical version is tediously long. It causes restless legs syndrome.
Rachael, the big disc cat is in real life Dot Mongur, Champion of the International Pacman Federation. You better be ready to rumble if you play Jr. Pacman with me. This is full contact Pacman and I don't just play the game, I operate it!

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,822 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted January 16 2007 - 02:22 PM

I'd like a King Kong thread where someone didn't gripe about the running time. Doesn't look either one of us will get what we want. Posted Image

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   Rachael B

Rachael B

Producer

• 4,637 posts

Posted January 16 2007 - 02:26 PM

Aleast I had a constructive suggestion for a 49 minute version.
Rachael, the big disc cat is in real life Dot Mongur, Champion of the International Pacman Federation. You better be ready to rumble if you play Jr. Pacman with me. This is full contact Pacman and I don't just play the game, I operate it!

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   Harpozep

Harpozep

Stunt Coordinator

• 191 posts

Posted January 16 2007 - 02:40 PM

It can never be too long. Stop and take a break. Movies were shown that ways at times. At home we can all do what we want for breaks. Granted, perhaps a three hour movie at the theater should have a break.
All that said, I want more!!!Posted Image

Kong is about creatures and humans, but the creatures have always taken the lead in my mind. The extended edition tries to make us care a bit more about characters and their interaction/motivations, etc. That avenue is kind of a waste of energy. They did the critters fine and the simian/girl love thing fine. I don't really care if Jackson and crew get us to care about the rest of the humans. They are simply there as critter food!Posted Image

Nice extra critters in the extended version. Some folks think the triceratops scene ruined the dino pacing. I dunno,...I mean this is not great art, it it KONG!

Oh, I got the HD edition in the Xbox 360 add-on pack, and sold the extended SD edition to a friend. While I like the extended edition a lot, I will wait for the HD version and sold the DVD while I could still get retail.

And, I do love the island and old Manhattan scenes. A LOT of work went into them.
Best,
Robert

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins

Screenwriter

• 1,765 posts

Posted January 16 2007 - 03:17 PM

Well one thing is for sure, if it comes out on HD-DVD it'll be split over 2 discs. Only Blu-Ray has the capacity for the director's cut without sacrificing quality.

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper

Screenwriter

• 1,284 posts

Posted January 16 2007 - 05:20 PM

What's the longest running time so far for each format? I know Blu Ray has Kingdom of Heaven Dir Cut, is Kong the longest HD DVD so far? From what I've heard, it has one of the best transfers so far on HD DVD. I can't imagine that an extra 13 mins would make it suffer too much.
-Jeff Cooper

"Curse you inspector Dim! You are too clever for us naughty people."

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   King Jeff

King Jeff

Stunt Coordinator

• 92 posts

Posted January 16 2007 - 05:38 PM

That is, unless, it is released after Toshiba starts making their 51GB HD-DVDs.
"Because she's got a.....GREAT ASS! And you've got your head all the way up it!"

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter

• 1,825 posts

Posted January 17 2007 - 12:39 PM

The director's cut only adds 13 minutes. Is the theatrical cut really squeezed on to the HD-30 that tightly?
My DVD, Blu-Ray and HD DVD Collection @ DVDSpot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users