What's new

HDMI connection question (1 Viewer)

ScottyH

Agent
Real Name
Scott H
Sorry for the newbie question but here it is.
Currently I am the proud owner of a 60" Grand WEGA™ SXRD™ Rear Projection HDTVspacerKDS-60A2000/ Toshiba HD-A1 DVD player and am going to be upgrading my receiver to either a Yamaha 1700, 2700 or Denon 2707 for HDMI capabilities. My question is since I will be having all my components going through my receiver then to TV are any other cables really necessary other than HDMI. My DVD player is HDMI out, Cable box is HDMI out, and receiver will have two inputs then 1 out to my TV. Is HDMI all I should be using for best picture and sound quality? Do I have any need to keep all of my component, S-Video, coaxial cables? Is HDMI the end all be all? Is there any benefit to using different cables for audio or video? Thanks in Advance!!

Mike~Sileck

Supporting Actor
HDMI is currently the top cable for audio or video needs....If all you're using is HD-DVD player and Cable box, just 3 HDMI cables and you should be all set!

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Just be sure that all cables are HDMI 1.3 as well that your receiver can handle HDMI 1.3.

HDMI 1.0-1.2 are only required to pass 4.95 gbps at 165 MHz, HDMI 1.3 is required to operate at 340 MHz and send around 10 gbps

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I don't see any need for HDMI 1.3 cables or HDMI 1.3 receiver (non available yet, only anounced). The HD-A1 will decode TrueHD and DTS-HD (with firmware 2.0 and higher) and pass it is 5.1 LPCM over HDMI. Your cable box will pass DD bitstream over HDMI for the receiver to decode.

Be aware that many (most) cable boxes do not handshake properly when connected through a receiver. You may need to connect the receiver directly to the TV via HDMI or to the receiver via Component Video and let the receiver transcode to HDMI if you only want one cable going to the receiver.

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Well my understanding is that you need HDMI 1.3 to pass 1080p properly. many of last years sony tv's could display 1080p but they could not accept a 1080p signal in, because of thei older HDMI chips.

I could be wrong on this however.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
A display's ability to accept 1080p or a source's ability to transmit 1080p is completely independant of its HDMI version (atleast from 1.1 on). A displays inability to accept 1080p is unrelated to HDMI, most likely due to reusing older-generation electronics which often happens w/ early versions of newer technology (there were some 720p displays that could only accept 1080i and 480i/p because they used input boards from analog TVs that didn't support 720p).

David Allen

Stunt Coordinator

You cannot decode DTS-HD unless the player or receiver had the DTS-HD decoder, regardless of the HDMI version. It will be passed as DTS-Core. I don't believe any HD/BD players have DTS-HD decoders yet- or at least most of them do not. If you know otherwise, I'd love to hear what models can do this.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
DTS HD Master is the only format not decoded by most players. DTS HD Core is decoded by most players (and soon by the PS3).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks