Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Are There Disadvantages to Import Releases?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 of 32 OFFLINE   Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter

• 1,090 posts

Posted January 16 2007 - 07:50 AM

I'm looking to purchase Mulholland Drive in HD DVD. However, is there any potential downside to this? I realize HD DVD does not currently have regional encoding, but I didn't know if there were other issues I should be concerned about before making these sorts of purchases.

#2 of 32 OFFLINE   Vincent_P

Vincent_P

Screenwriter

• 1,811 posts

Posted January 16 2007 - 08:11 AM

There have been reports that some of the overseas HD-DVDs (not all, but some of them) have noticeably higher-pitched audio. It sounds like PAL-speed up, but oddly the discs themselves are not actually sped up. On one of the AVS Forum threads somebody actually posted audio comparison clips from BASIC INSTINCT that clearly indicate something is wrong with some of these titles in terms of the audio pitch. Vincent

#3 of 32 OFFLINE   Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter

• 1,090 posts

Posted January 16 2007 - 08:28 AM

Thanks for the info, Vincent. I was not aware of that; this is all virgin territory for me!

Given that fact, I should ask more specifically, has anyone experienced problems with the French import of Mulholland Drive?

#4 of 32 OFFLINE   Rachael B

Rachael B

Producer

• 4,639 posts

Posted January 16 2007 - 08:30 AM

I got Basic Instinct, King Kong '76, and Harry Potter.... and I'm OK wih them. I haven't really scrutinized the audio. I thought the pic could of been better on Harry Potter. It seemed a cut below domestic releases.
Rachael, the big disc cat is in real life Dot Mongur, Champion of the International Pacman Federation. You better be ready to rumble if you play Jr. Pacman with me. This is full contact Pacman and I don't just play the game, I operate it!

#5 of 32 OFFLINE   MarekM

MarekM

Supporting Actor

• 858 posts

Posted January 16 2007 - 09:51 AM

european version of harry is us release..... on my 40" lcd screen it looked very nice..... RachelB, do you find any specific part which could have been better ? Marek

#6 of 32 OFFLINE   Dave Mack

Dave Mack

Producer

• 4,665 posts

Posted January 16 2007 - 09:54 AM

they apparently used a sped up PAL master for the audio and digitally slowed it down by 4% to match the new HD transfer. the audio is now a mess on some of those titles and the people who imported them rightfully pissed.

#7 of 32 OFFLINE   Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

• 3,122 posts

Posted January 16 2007 - 10:01 AM

While different eyes and different set-ups may result in different viewing experiences, the general consensus for the quality of the Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire HD DVD is overwhelmingly positive. And it looks great to me as well.

And yes, this particular "import" HD DVD is the USA disc (FBI warning and all). It is just that for whatever reason (probably WB waiting for BD) WB decided to hold off on the US release and diverted the discs to the UK instead.

So, technically, this HD DVD isn't really relevant to the topic of expected quality/problems with HD DVDs made for other countries.
I don't believe in transcending the genre, I believe IN the genre - Joss Whedon

#8 of 32 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,978 posts

Posted January 16 2007 - 10:11 AM

Harry Potter is indeed exactly the version you will see in the US and it's splendid! Cees

#9 of 32 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted January 16 2007 - 11:42 AM

the reason they decided not to release HP in the fall or at Christmas is obivious- there is a new theatrical release due in a few months. I don't understand how many people are questioning Warners intentions here, when synergistic releases have been an annoying fact of dvd life for years and years now. For petes sake, I remember when we had to wait for Chicago just so we could get All That Jazz. It is lame, but this is how the studios think. the Matrix got delayed so that all three movies could be released at once (probably a boxset). No big conspiracy, just a big corporation trying to guage the best way to exploit its property.

#10 of 32 OFFLINE   ppltd

ppltd

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted January 16 2007 - 01:26 PM

Which releases are you talking about. I have King Kong (76), First Blood, Harry Potter and Elephant Man from Studio Canal, all encoded 1080p/24. There are absolutly no audio issues on any of these disks. As I do not own Basic Instinct, I can not comment on the reported issues on this title.
Thomas Eisenmann(Last updated 09/30/11)

Blu-Ray Collection  DVD Collection, Numerous BD players,

LG 55LX6500 55-Inch 3D 1080p 240 Hz LED

Pioneer VSX-94TXH, Panasonic PT-AE7000U 3D 1080p (PT-AE8000 Just Ordered, 

1124 BDs and going up, 1028 - DVDs and going down.

#11 of 32 OFFLINE   Rachael B

Rachael B

Producer

• 4,639 posts

Posted January 16 2007 - 01:40 PM

Yes,, when they're out at "witch camp out", those villians who come and shoot it up....that scene left somethin' to be desired. It's a dark scene and surely a hard scene. I've only watched it the once and in 1080i. It might come off better in 1080p...? Otherwise, I was mostly impressed. I didn't see it in the cinema and don't have that for as a refrence point. That one big scene looked weak to me.....
Rachael, the big disc cat is in real life Dot Mongur, Champion of the International Pacman Federation. You better be ready to rumble if you play Jr. Pacman with me. This is full contact Pacman and I don't just play the game, I operate it!

#12 of 32 OFFLINE   Rachael B

Rachael B

Producer

• 4,639 posts

Posted January 16 2007 - 01:55 PM

I've just watched my Basic Instinct the once. The audio didn't bug me. Now ya'all proably ruined it for me...? I'm bound to hear somethin', eh? I was comparing Basic Instinct to a Muse LD I have of it. I thought all the outdoor, daytime shots on Muse LD looked better. It wasn't even a contest on the indoor and night shots, the HD-DVD cleaned the HD LD's clock. Supposedly, the HLD-X0 will play this disc, well, all Muse LD's better than my HLD-X9. The fact that the Muse LD was somewhat competative with this disc suprised me....well atleast on the outdoor shots. Is it my imagination but does this Euro version have a bit more erotic footage than U.S. versions?

#13 of 32 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,978 posts

Posted January 16 2007 - 07:19 PM

Probably yes. The European version of the film has always been a few seconds (almost a minute) longer in that area. Started with the theatrical release and the VHS tapes. Cees

#14 of 32 OFFLINE   Rachael B

Rachael B

Producer

• 4,639 posts

Posted January 17 2007 - 05:21 AM

I thought so Cees.... I watched Total Recall on Studio Canal, Euro HD-DVD last night and it's a better print or encode than Lionsgate's Blu-ray disc. The BD looks washed out where the HD-DVD has much more colour content. The BD has less detail in backgrounds and wider shots. I have Elephant Man on HD-DVD coming from X-ploited Cinema next.....

#15 of 32 OFFLINE   gandolf01933

gandolf01933

Auditioning

• 11 posts

Posted January 17 2007 - 05:24 AM

i have Harry Potter and everything is fine

#16 of 32 OFFLINE   dkny75

dkny75

Stunt Coordinator

• 189 posts

Posted January 17 2007 - 06:50 AM

From the AVS forum the only Studio Canal releases they had a sound problem is with Basic Instinct, Total Recall, and one or two of the Rambos (not sure which one). I've seen Basic Instinct and didn't notice it and haven't watched Total Recall yet.

#17 of 32 OFFLINE   ppltd

ppltd

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted January 17 2007 - 06:55 AM

First Bllod (Ramdo 1) has no sound issues I could detect. Don't care for Ramob 2 or 3 so I will pass on them. Elephant Man was fine also.

#18 of 32 OFFLINE   ppltd

ppltd

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted January 17 2007 - 06:58 AM

I agree with you on Total Recall. I own the BD version, and a friend brought over the HD-DVD. Much better all around disk.

#19 of 32 OFFLINE   Chris Dugger

Chris Dugger

Supporting Actor

• 665 posts

Posted January 17 2007 - 07:07 AM

Personally, as a collector of region free dvd for over 8 years, the only time the PAL speed up bothered me was on the "Buffy" TV series.... It was there that I noticed a higher pitched difference... Now with hd-dvd, I have imported allot of titles.... when comparing these soundtracks up against the region 1 sd, they do seem to exhibit a higher pitched difference.... but as I ran TOTAL RECALL the other night for over 60 people, no one person (nor myself) could tell that there was PAL audio speed up..... In fact is sounded quite good..... and for the compare of the TOTAL RECALL bd vs hd-dvd..... well.... this is a case of blu-ray or lions gate getting there ass kicked by the studio canal release..... Dugger

#20 of 32 OFFLINE   dkny75

dkny75

Stunt Coordinator

• 189 posts

Posted January 18 2007 - 06:46 AM

Here's a review of Basic Instinct that acknowledges the sound issue.

http://www.dvdreview...ages/2516.shtml

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users