Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

SPHE Press Release: Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman: Volume One

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 of 16 ONLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,625 posts

Posted January 15 2007 - 12:38 AM

From The Acclaimed Writer and Producer
Norman Lear Comes …

MARY HARTMAN, MARY HARTMAN:
VOLUME ONE

The Hilarious Soap Opera Spoof, starring Emmy®-Nominees Louise Lasser and Mary Kay Place, with Dabney Coleman and Martin Mull Will Be Available in a 3-Disc Boxed Set

DEBUTS ON DVD MARCH 27

Culver City, Calif. (January 15, 2007) – It’s time to get hooked again as the pigtailed, gingham-frocked, American housewife from the small town of Fernwood, Ohio, deals with such hot topics as mass murder, exhibitionism, masturbation, impotence and waxy yellow buildup on her linoleum floors. That can only mean that Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman: Volume One is making its DVD debut on March 27 from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment. The broadly-exaggerated spoof of soap opera calamity from creator Norman Lear stars Emmy®-nominee Louise Lasser (Take the Money and Run, Bananas), Emmy®-winner Mary Kay Place (The Big Chill, TV’s “Big Love”), Dabney Coleman (War Games) and Martin Mull (TV’s “Roseanne”). The collection features the first 25 classic episodes of the series in a three disc set and will be priced at $29.95 SRP.

Ranked by Entertainment Weekly as one of the “100 Greatest TV Shows of All Time” and listed among TV Guide’s “Top 50 Cult Shows in Television History,” Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman is the classic soap opera to satirize all soap operas. The character of Mary Hartman (Lasser) is totally impressionable and rather slow-witted, living in a world where television commercials are as meaningful as personal experiences. In the classic soap opera tradition, her life is full of one crisis after another - her daughter is held hostage by a mass murderer; her husband is impotent; her father disappears; her grandfather is the infamous “Fernwood Flasher;” and her best friend becomes paralyzed.

In addition to Lasser, the strong cast included Greg Mullavey as Mary’s husband, Tom Hartman, an assembly-line worker whose emotional development was arrested during adolescence; Mary Kay Place as Mary's best friend, child-bride Loretta Haggers, an aspiring country-and-western singer; Graham Jarvis as Charlie Haggers, Loretta's older husband and Tom's co-worker; Dody Goodman as Martha Shumway, Mary's addled mother; Philip Bruns as George Shumway, Mary's father; Debralee Scott as Cathy Shumway, Mary's swinging younger sister; Claudia Lamb as Heather Hartman, Mary's sullen daughter; and Victor Kilian as Mary's grandfather, Raymond Larkin, the "Fernwood Flasher.''

Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman was the brainchild of TV legend Norman Lear (All in the Family, Maude, The Jeffersons). In spite of his successful track record, the subject matter of this series was considered so controversial that all three major networks refused to air it and it was sold into five-day-a-week, first-run syndication. The show debuted on January 6, 1976, and ran for 325-episodes over two critically-acclaimed seasons, eventually leading to three spin-offs: “Fernwood 2Night” (1977), “Forever Fernwood” (1977-1978), and “America 2Night” (1978).

DVD Special Features Include:
• Digitally Remastered Audio and Video
• Full Screen Presentations
• Audio: English
• Bonus Previews
• Closed Captioned

BROADCAST YEAR: 1976

Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman: Volume One has a run time of approximately 564 minutes and is not rated. Artwork is available at www.SPHEPUBLICITY.COM. Visit Sony Pictures Home Entertainment on the Web at www.SonyPictures.com.

DVD Catalog # 11467
UPC Code: 0-43396-11467-8
Order Date: 2/22/07
SLP: $29.95

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 16 OFFLINE   Claude North

Claude North

Second Unit

• 327 posts

Posted January 15 2007 - 04:53 AM

I've been waiting for this one for years. Let's hope that sales are strong enough to warrant the eventual release of the entire series and its spin-offs.

#3 of 16 OFFLINE   Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Producer

• 4,047 posts

Posted January 15 2007 - 07:59 AM

This show was one of the original reasons to get a Betamax, since it was on late in most areas. I read that an electronics chain used to demo theirs by playing the previous night's show in the store. I've got one episode of this on Beta, but sadly whoever taped it stayed up to cut the commericals out. Posted Image
Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#4 of 16 OFFLINE   Jay_B!

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

• 1,746 posts

Posted January 15 2007 - 08:04 AM

I would be excited about this if another company owned it, but this is Sony, there's no way Sony will complete this on DVD in this lifetime

#5 of 16 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,394 posts

Posted January 15 2007 - 11:33 AM

How many episodes were there? I estimate 500; in which case, there would have to be 20 sets of 25 episodes...that's a lot of dvds.

#6 of 16 OFFLINE   Josh LM

Josh LM

Stunt Coordinator

• 60 posts

Posted January 15 2007 - 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Riley
How many episodes were there? I estimate 500; in which case, there would have to be 20 sets of 25 episodes...that's a lot of dvds.

According to tv.com there were 307 episodes.
My father wears shoes in the pool.

#7 of 16 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,394 posts

Posted January 15 2007 - 10:09 PM

The press release above says 325 episodes; which would mean a solid 13 volumes (ugh!) but I was counting Forever Fernwood as well. I'm not sure if 307 or 325 counts FF or not. And I'm not sure if we'll ever live to see Sony release 13 volumes of anything.

#8 of 16 OFFLINE   Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,909 posts

Posted January 17 2007 - 12:29 AM

I'm hoping that this is a success- maybe this will get Fox to finally put out Peyton Place on DVD!
Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#9 of 16 OFFLINE   Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,287 posts

Posted January 18 2007 - 04:30 AM

Yeah Sony is the king of Delayed releases and abandoned set, I might Netflix it to check them out, but I would'nt even touch buying it till sony shows me 3 or 4 releases on the shelf.
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#10 of 16 OFFLINE   Mark Rapp

Mark Rapp

Agent

• 32 posts

Posted January 22 2007 - 12:21 AM

Does "Volume One" imply Season One or some unknown (as yet) compilation?

#11 of 16 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,394 posts

Posted January 22 2007 - 06:12 AM

a whole season would be a mighty big dvd set because it was on five nights a week. They mean the first 25 episodes in this case. You know, if this was coming out from MPI or Anchor Bay, I'd count on regular, timely releases until the show is complete; but in Sony's case it's gonna take 200 years to see the whole series. I hope they actually have a plan this time.

#12 of 16 OFFLINE   Pavan_P

Pavan_P

Second Unit

• 321 posts

Posted March 21 2007 - 12:42 PM

Here is the review:
http://www.sitcomson....dvdreview.html

Any fans out there to confirm if the times are right?

#13 of 16 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,320 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted March 21 2007 - 02:25 PM

Well, there were two laserdiscs released by Embassy Home Entertainment in the 1980s. I checked the running time of the first episode of volume 2, and it runs 21 minutes, omitting the Filmways/TAT notice and the preview for the next show at the end.

If there's any versions longer than the ones on this DVD anyone speak up now.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then.

#14 of 16 OFFLINE   Corey3rd

Corey3rd

Screenwriter

• 1,721 posts

Posted March 21 2007 - 03:47 PM

It's good to hear that the picture on these discs are good because I was so disappointed in Sony's job on "Soap." Half those episodes look like they were transfered off an EP speed VHS tapes. I wanted to get them for the collection, but I just rented them from Netflix.
come see the reviews at
http://thedvdlounge.com/

and the Seinfeld Tour Bus

#15 of 16 OFFLINE   chas speed

chas speed

Second Unit

• 411 posts

Posted March 21 2007 - 04:21 PM

I doubt they have been cut. Soap opera episodes generally tend to run a lot shorter then average shows. Dark shadows episodes often run 20 or 21 minutes uncut. I hope they includes the "here are some scenes from the next episode of Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman". They were always funny.

#16 of 16 OFFLINE   Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Producer

• 3,130 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted March 21 2007 - 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavan_P
Here is the review:
http://www.sitcomson....dvdreview.html

Any fans out there to confirm if the times are right?

The times sound about right, but I'm planning to check them against the laserdiscs, assuming that Sony sends me the review copy I requested.
Rich Gallagher

Forum Nav Content I Follow