Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

List of speaker brands?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
29 replies to this topic

#1 of 30 OFFLINE   barneygumble

barneygumble

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted January 14 2007 - 11:21 AM

Can anyone point me to a list of speaker companies? I'm ready to start my home theater, but I can't find a comprehensive list of speaker manufacturers to do the amount of research I am comfortable with when pursuing my hobbies.

I've obviously heard of the major manufacturers:

Bose
Sony
Pioneer
Panasonic, etc.

But I am discovering others:

SV Sound
Axiom
HSU, etc.

I am more interested in the latter as they seem to be specialized in speakers and subwoofers.

Anyone have a site with a list of manufacturers or can list some for me in my thread? Thanks.Posted Image

#2 of 30 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,733 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted January 14 2007 - 12:03 PM

For the second list (the better one) add Ascend and Swan. For a bigger list, go to Shopping.com and filter thru from electronics>speakers>brands and then click on "more" and you will see a list of names as long as your sleeve. BTW, I prefer pricegrabber.com over shopping.com. You get fewer results but the accuracy seems higher. Especially availability.
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#3 of 30 OFFLINE   SethH

SethH

Screenwriter

• 2,867 posts

Posted January 14 2007 - 01:14 PM

I would scrap everything from your top list. Other than Bose, those are electronics manufacturers -- they definitely do not specialize in speakers and the speakers they make really aren't very good.

Brands you'll find in retail stores include JBL, Athena, Polk, Klipsch, B&W, Paradigm, Infinity, Definitive Technology among others. These brands are a great place to start to see what kind of sound you like. If you check some of these out then you may be able to find an online brand that may have a similar type of sound.

Oh, and definitely take Gene's suggestion to add Ascend to your second list. They make great speakers with great reviews.

#4 of 30 OFFLINE   frogpond

frogpond

Stunt Coordinator

• 173 posts

Posted January 14 2007 - 01:14 PM

Add av123 and ascend acoustics as well. av123 makes speakers for every budget there site is just a bit confusing. Depending on where you live you might be able to find people willing to let you listen and audition. Oh yeah can't forget Aperion Audio. I myself have the SVS SBS 5.1 with PB10 but with any of them you really can't go wrong its just a matter of taste...er...hearing.

#5 of 30 OFFLINE   familyguy

familyguy

Stunt Coordinator

• 77 posts

Posted January 14 2007 - 03:16 PM

i disagree! sony speakers are actually very good. good prices as well

#6 of 30 OFFLINE   Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Producer

• 5,910 posts

Posted January 15 2007 - 03:38 AM

Here are the brands I have bookmarked:

Aperion Audio, a/d/s, Axiom Audio, Boston Acoustics, B&W, Cambridge SoundWorks, Definitive Technology, Energy, Infinity, JBL, Klipsch, M&K, Onix, Polk Audio, Paradigm, PSB, Swans, SV Sound.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

My Equipment List
“A nice mid-fi system,” according to an audiophile acquaintance.

My Tech / DIY Articles and Reviews

#7 of 30 OFFLINE   barneygumble

barneygumble

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted January 15 2007 - 03:52 AM

Oh, and a little caveat thrown in by my wife: the speakers must be silver, to match the rest of our system apparently.

So, I assume I will go with the svs sbs-01 speakers in silver, although I do like the look of wood grain.

Any suggestions on silver speakers?

I am just starting with two book shelf speakers, preferably with stands.

#8 of 30 OFFLINE   Brian D H

Brian D H

Second Unit

• 453 posts

Posted January 15 2007 - 04:04 AM

Whoops! I was about to add Home Theater Direct to your list (my speakers), but although they have some very nice wood veneers, and even come in "pearl White" in the smaller middys and in-walls, they don't do silver. Sorry.

I briefly had some Yamaha speakers in silver, but they were so bad I returned them within the week. However YMMV.
_________

By the way: If you've looked around this forum you probably already know this; while SVS speakers are only regarded as "pretty good", their sub-woofers are recommended hands down as the best you'll find for the price or even for triple the price. Heck, some would say that you won't for a better sub-woofer at ten-times the price - and no I'm not joking, just repeating.
Lurking at HTF Since 2001

#9 of 30 OFFLINE   mylan

mylan

Screenwriter

• 1,685 posts

Posted January 15 2007 - 04:06 AM

Try the Definitive Technology Mythos line:

http://www.definitiv....os/mythos.html
I know enough to know I don't know enough!

#10 of 30 OFFLINE   DaveHo

DaveHo

Supporting Actor

• 605 posts

Posted January 15 2007 - 05:20 AM

Color!? If you restrict your choices to silver, you'll be eliminating 99.9% of good speakers. You should seriously reconsider.

#11 of 30 OFFLINE   JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin

Producer

• 3,219 posts

Posted January 15 2007 - 05:29 AM

silver speakers? That will limit your choices considerably. Some speakers come with wood veneer, although in many cases the effect is not quite beautiful. "Black Ash" can be a terrible design statement.

#12 of 30 OFFLINE   JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin

Producer

• 3,219 posts

Posted January 15 2007 - 06:02 AM

Posted Image

"But... But... You said you wanted silver loudspeakers!"

#13 of 30 OFFLINE   Phil A

Phil A

Screenwriter

• 2,894 posts
  • LocationCentral FL

Posted January 15 2007 - 06:07 AM

try www.stereo411.com for a list of audio manuf.

#14 of 30 OFFLINE   barneygumble

barneygumble

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted January 15 2007 - 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyErwin

"But... But... You said you wanted silver loudspeakers!"

What the hell are those? The woman can get over the color!

#15 of 30 OFFLINE   JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin

Producer

• 3,219 posts

Posted January 15 2007 - 06:55 AM

Wilson Audio Specialties MAXX2

Quote:
Dimensions: 63" (1615mm) H by 17" (435mm) W by 22" (565mm) D. Weight: 410 lbs (186kg).
Price: $44,900/pair. Approximate number of dealers: 39.

#16 of 30 OFFLINE   JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin

Producer

• 3,219 posts

Posted January 15 2007 - 10:44 AM

anyway, what sort of price range were you thinking of, Russ?

For instance, Polk was mentioned, but they have several lines of speakers-- and they don't sound identical.

#17 of 30 OFFLINE   frogpond

frogpond

Stunt Coordinator

• 173 posts

Posted January 15 2007 - 12:11 PM

I will say that you won't be disapointed with the SVS SBS in any color with what ever sub you choose. I think they blow anything in the stores clean out of the water.

#18 of 30 OFFLINE   Arthur S

Arthur S

Screenwriter

• 2,572 posts

Posted January 16 2007 - 03:15 AM

Hi guys

frogpond has this right with regard to Sony speakers...may not come in silver, however, for the money they are pretty damn good...saw a pair for $50 from CC...if I need something small and inexpensive...these are actually a good, small, inexpensive speaker...

#19 of 30 OFFLINE   JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin

Producer

• 3,219 posts

Posted January 16 2007 - 03:45 AM

Put together a CD of your favorite music--selecting tracks that encompass the whole range of your music collection. (don't use compressed tracks-- just import them as wav or aiff files, and burn those.) If your reaction isn't-- "I could listen to this all day", or "wow, this sounds really quite good", move on. Otherwise, mark it on a list, ask your wife for her opinion, read reviews, and so on.

#20 of 30 OFFLINE   HongHuynh

HongHuynh

Agent

• 30 posts

Posted January 16 2007 - 05:23 AM

The Wilson Audio speakers are overkill. Check out the Krell LAT-2 speakers. They are silver (all aluminum). $10,000 CDN.

Forum Nav Content I Follow