What's new

Macintosh: Most recommended software list? (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thought I'd ask all Mac users within this forum to help

compile a list of essential software for the Mac.

Whether it be FREEWARE, SHAREWARE or something to

be bought, this should be a list of the most interesting

and useful software you have found to date.

If possible, give a brief description of what the software

does, an indication of whether it is FREEWARE or not, and

even a link to the download area. All that is optional.

Looking forward to some of your suggestions

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Essential:
Firefox - Freeware
Alsoft Diskwarrior (Absolute Essential) - Paid Disk Miracle Worker http://www.alsoft.com
AudioHijack Pro (or not Pro) - Free/Shareware - Record/Timeshift audio from all apps http://www.rogueamoeba.com
DVDPedia (and rest of pedias) - Shareware - Catlogue software that can import from DVDProfiler - http://www.bruji.com
VLC (Freeware) - Mediaplayer
MacParDeluxe - Fee/Shareware - For .rar files
Voodoo Pad or Mori (Free/Shareware) - Notebook style apps
Stuffit Expander or equivalent The Unarchiver (Freeware) - File Archive Expanders
Podworks (Shareware) - iPod utility to backup iPod contents and more - http://www.scifihifi.com/podworks/
Realplayer (Freeware/No junk installed either)
MPlayer OS X (Freeware) - Mediaplayer
Flip4Mac (Freeware/Shareware)) - Plugin for .wmv files - http://www.flip4mac.com
VueScan (Shareware - if you have a scanner) - Near Universal Scanner application - www.hamrick.com/
USBOverdrive or Steermouse- Configuration software for USB Devices (Sharewares)
Other options:
EyeTV (Play/re-record/re-edit .ts files and Timeshift TV)
MactheRipper
Any of the Unsanity.com haxies
VNC Client - Timbuktu/ChickenoftheVNC
DynDNS Client
Meteorologist
Bookit - Bookmarks utility
SharePoints - Configure for Windows Sharing
MacTFTP Client
Microsoft Office Student and Teacher Edition
GarageSale - Ebay Listing App
Toast - CD/DVD burning app
R-Name - Batch File Renamer
Split and Concat - File join/split gui app
DiskCatalogue Maker
CandyBar and Pixadex - Icon and GUI changing apps
Firewire SDK - DVHS and Firewire CATV recording/playback apps

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Ron, First of all, choose Universal Binary versions at all times if it's an option. Those are optimized to run on MacIntel hardware. Non-universal will run, but under the Rosetta emulator, leading to lower performance (but they run fine, just slower).
Handbrake. Freeware. And its sister Instant Handbrake. Converts DVD to video iPod format in one program. For iPod use only, use Instant.
MacMP3Gain, Freeware. *TRULY* normalizes audio files (MP3, AAC) by analyzing the entire song for average volume then setting them to the same average volume, not by the old (and highly inaccurate method) of setting peak levels the same. This has allowed me to have all 4000 songs on my iPod, all of which were mastered at very different audio levels on CD, to sound approximately the same volume, eliminating my need to change volume when louder/softer songs come on.
iLife - included with your system purchase. Check it out, buy a book if you have to. Garageband - great beginner music recording. iDVD. iPhoto. Photobooth. You get the point.
VLC Player - freeware, media player
Flip4Mac, freeware plugin, shareware option, plays WMV files on Mac.
How long until the new "Mac" subforum appears? ;)
Let me know of your hobbies and I'll post some payware. Like:
Screewriting: Moviemagic Screenwriter or Final Draft.
Music Recording/Postproduction: Pro Tools LE/M-Powered or Apple's Logic Pro/Express
Video editing: Apple's Final Cut Pro
etc.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Gents,
Since I am playing with .dmg files I would like an antivirus
installed "just in case" something goes wrong.
I'd rather not have to purchase a second anti-virus program
on top of the one I am going to use with the emulated Vista.
Is there a FREE Mac antivirus (like AVG) that lets you do
simple scans on files before executing them?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thanks to the recommendation from Joseph...
Since I am a power DVD PROFILER user I am wondering whether
it will be better continuing to use PROFILER under Windows or get
DVDPedia?
Any preference as to which is better?
Keep the software recommendations coming. Great stuff!

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Do you have a barcode scanner other than the PS2 Cuecat? I used the PS2 Cuecat with the PC, but could not with the Mac. DVD Profiler runs fine under Parallels, but for me it would have been hand-entry of the UPC codes.
So I got a Bluetooth scanner in conjunction with Delicious Library:
http://www.delicious-monster.com/
- Steve

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Heya Steve!
I have the cue-cat and I figured it would run
fine under Parallels, no?
Update
Found the scanner. Very nice! Will it work with
DVDpedia as that seems the closest to being compatible
with DVD Profiler?

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
SnapZ Pro X 2.0 (shareware, Ambrosia Software, $29 for still capture or $69 for still + motion capture)
Advantages:
1. Much more flexible than Mac OS X's screen capture. Still capture works very well. (Motion capture should be evaluated for performance with your system and your application.)
2. If I remember correctly, it doesn't artificially cripple itself when the DVD Player application is running.
Disadvantages:
1. Likes to put up a modal display that delays the system for two seconds or so at startup time. Removing the application from the startup item list and running it yourself is a workaround for this.
2. The vendor uses a registration scheme where the program only accepts registration codes for 30(?) days from the date of issue. If you pay for the program, then use it for a year, then do a clean install of MacOS 10.5 ("Leopard"), you'll probably find SnapZ X Pro telling you that you are an "unregistered user", and refusing to accept the registration code from your initial purchase. To be fair, you can request another code from the vendor, and they'll look you up in their registration database, and send another one out -- if they're still in business.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
Photoshop Elements (or full PhotoShop). These aren't Universal, but should become Universal in their next major upgrade cycles.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
If you're fond of hierarchical application menus, you can drag a folder icon or disk icon into the right side of the Dock. Populate the folder with aliases and subfolders. Then right-click on the Dock icon to open the menu as needed.
On my system, the Dock has the most-used applications, and the "menu folder" points to other programs I use less frequently. The folder even has an Aqua-themed Apple icon (from one of the freeware icon collections) to make it look like an updated version of the Mac OS 8 "Apple menu". :)

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
The usb cuecat scanner apparently works with DVDPedia natively. I use a handheld Bluetooth scanner which I can get to work natively with Delicious Library and via Serial Magic Pro with DVDPedia. I can't say how either PS2 or USB Cuecats are in Parallels, because my G5 tower won't be replaced until the rev2 Intel towers come out this Spring/Summer.
DVDProfiler has a much larger db to pick from and higher quality images, so I pretty much used my original library and transferred over. DVDPedia has a full screen mode that looks better than Front Row and runs much faster than Delicious Library. Delicious Library looks great, but runs real slow on fast machines. The lack of a way to import from DVDProfiler sealed Delicious Library's fate on my machine even though I bought the program and scanner from them. It takes way too long to rescan everything and correct mistakes on OOP, first gens mislabeled as SEs, and foreign imports when you have around 2K DVDs.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Is the Cuecat USB or PS2? The USB one will probably work.
- Steve

Jason Adams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Jason Adams
Delicious Library.
http://www.delicious-monster.com/
It's an alternative DVD cataloging software that is very cool. It has virtual shelves, lending tracking, and also if you have an iSight, it can scan the barcode and grab the DVD automatically from the web.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
fink fink.sf.net need to use linux and unix software, and are not afraid of the command line and X11? This is an easy way to install thousands of software packages.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I like the following...

1. Pro version of Quicktime is a worthy upgrade imho.

2. Onyx - maintenance utility.

3. ClamXAV - anti-virus although really not needed I still run it.

4. Microsoft Office - so I can work on my regular work files.

5. Delicious Library - the BEST music and video collection software out there imho. Scans bar code with the iSight!

6. OmniGraffle - the best object based drawing program I have found.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Memory Miner is a great photo album/story telling application.
You can record grandma's stories about old photos and include the video/audio as well as maps on where it happened.
You can create flash and HTML presentations with you photos that will make any Flikr slide show seem like a very poor substitute.
It's hard to put into words, but definitely check Memory Miner out -- it is truly the family album of the 21st century.
Ted

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks