What's new

how did bob ross (joy of painting) die? (1 Viewer)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Apologies for asking such a lurid question, but I want to get my facts right for a lecture (BR only gets a passing mention, but I like to get even peripheral details correct). I understood that he died from cancer on July 4th, 1995, and a lot of web sites seem to confirm this. However, a couple refer to his suicide. Did he kill himself because of the cancer, or is the suicide information simply wrong?

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Never heard suicide, and I was a big fan at the time of his passing. If he did kill himself, they kept that very quiet.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I think suicide might just be an urban myth... probably based on him painting one too many "happy clouds".

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Sorry to hi-jack, but does anyone remember the name of the German painter who painted just like Bob Ross? I think he was short and either bald or almost bald??

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
You sure it's the same Ross in those other website? Lymphoma is what I think he had.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
William Alexander, also deceased. I think Bob was a student of his, and picked up some of his expressions from him.
"Ve vill, ve vill . . . paint zee happy shoreline."

Bill Cowmeadow

Second Unit
I have several paintings hanging that I did as a casual viewer of those shows. You really could learn how to do it just by watching. Thanks PBS.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Greg_S_H said:
William Alexander, also deceased. I think Bob was a student of his, and picked up some of his expressions from him.
"Ve vill, ve vill . . . paint zee happy shoreline."
YES! Thanks! I forgot he was a student...no wonder why they were so similar.

Tsalagi

Auditioning
Real Name
Carol
The person who wanted to know about the other painter who painted somewhat like Bob Ross (joy of painting) was Ben Alexander.

siobhano

Auditioning
Real Name
Siobhan O'Cealliagh
The other German painter was named Aexander, and they both died from cancer caused by using paint thinner (odorless turpentine) all the time in his painting. This is the reason so many painters have gone to using acrylic paints..

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I had read on snopes in the past the runor that he was a sniper. I believe that was debunked but he WAS a military guy:
http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/40610
His cause of death is not mentioned.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks