What's new

First Travels with a Fuji F30 (1 Viewer)

Mary M S

Screenwriter
2007_0104(052).JPG

2007_0103(002).JPG

2007_0104(069).JPG

2007_0104(080).JPG

Boring as compared to Holadem's street scenes.
[But]
First pic’s and this was all that was out the window!
Many thanks to Hien and –Man-, for the encouragement/advice while I was in frantic shopping mode!
Operator is using auto - not having time to fiddle with controls yet.
Still I think I’m pleased overall, particularly as these are filtered through a dirty/etched windscreen.

Had a couple more interesting ground shots, but they lost detail and gained noise when I tried to resize for upload to a free-hosting site.
Several looking totally unlike the originals, I shall have to learn how to deal with resize and compression!
These 4, though a bit degraded, were the best of the few I attempted a downsize on.
Getting the itch to look at home printers! :)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Geez, when you say "travel", you really mean "travel" :D.

Fine pictures, I like the last best. While you were at it, it would have been fun trying to freeze the prop with a very fast shutter. No idea if there was enough light though. But since F30 is supposed to remain very strong at very ISOs (3200??!!!), it might have been possible.

I didn't deviate much from auto settings on my camera either. I got it less than two weeks before the trip, and at that point (and even now), trust the camera more than myself -especially since it's my first.

--
H

HienN

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Hien
Mary, amazing pictures. I was away from the computer the last few days but now that I see this, I'm thinking I need a Fuji F30 too. dpreview just published a review of the Canon SD800. They pointed out some image quality issues, in particular picture softness especially at the corners, and excessive noise reduction at ISO 200 and above. On my camera, I noticed maybe a tiny bit at ISO 400, and a bit more at 800, but obviously my evaluation was not as thorough as theirs and I didn't crop in as close as they did. Overall I was happier with the camera before I read the review, but damn the critics :)

Back to your camera decision, I suspect that image degradation starting at as low as ISO 200 may be a problem for your needs, so if you and your husband can live with the slightly bigger size of the F30, that is probably the better way to go.

PS. I have to point out that the F30 is not great by any means, and you may want to get a DSLR for better pictures. Look closely at the bottom picture, near the bottom right side about half an inch up, there is way too much blur and purple fringing on the alien standing near the creek. You almost couldn't see him waving with all 3 of his fingers.

Mary M S

Screenwriter
Was not me on the shutter for these shots, This was ‘work’ so I was not along, although I do get to ride along on infrequent occasions.
#2 would have had to been taken by the crew chief. The other three were probably all taken by my husband.
#2 not a great shot (by any stretch) but I was impressed that someone could just pick it up and shoot on auto, and the camera did not blow all the detail in the darker portions with so much glare from the windows.
I’ve seen better and bigger cameras (on auto) blow a cockpit shot with glare & shadow such as that, many times.
I think learning the few adjustments which are available (EV etc) the Fuji might do well.

Holadem, - I do have a pic where there is no prop blur!
But ‘twas not the shutter speed that stopped it. :laugh:
It was ‘feathered” a very scary sight when still flying over mountains!

I had the camera 2 days? Then he took those pics, came back for 3 nights and is off again. I can’t wait to see the next batch, and that’s exactly what I got it for ...just to see what he has seen.

The Fuji did surprise me, The Plane was at about 11,000 ft. The plateau of the range in the flyover, about 2,000 ft below.
Between the haze, etched windscreens, I expected more like blurry watercolors (at best) out that window.
It did far better than I would have expected under those circumstances for such an itty bitty thing. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks