-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

First Travels with a Fuji F30

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 Mary M S

Mary M S

Screenwriter

• 1,546 posts

Posted January 12 2007 - 03:48 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Boring as compared to Holadem's street scenes.
[But]
First pic’s and this was all that was out the window!
Many thanks to Hien and –Man-, for the encouragement/advice while I was in frantic shopping mode!
Operator is using auto - not having time to fiddle with controls yet.
Still I think I’m pleased overall, particularly as these are filtered through a dirty/etched windscreen.

Had a couple more interesting ground shots, but they lost detail and gained noise when I tried to resize for upload to a free-hosting site.
Several looking totally unlike the originals, I shall have to learn how to deal with resize and compression!
These 4, though a bit degraded, were the best of the few I attempted a downsize on.
Getting the itch to look at home printers! Posted Image
You've been dreaming. Dreaming of Sea Captain who haunted this house.

#2 of 4 Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted January 12 2007 - 06:40 AM

Geez, when you say "travel", you really mean "travel" Posted Image.

Fine pictures, I like the last best. While you were at it, it would have been fun trying to freeze the prop with a very fast shutter. No idea if there was enough light though. But since F30 is supposed to remain very strong at very ISOs (3200??!!!), it might have been possible.

I didn't deviate much from auto settings on my camera either. I got it less than two weeks before the trip, and at that point (and even now), trust the camera more than myself -especially since it's my first.

--
H

#3 of 4 HienN

HienN

Stunt Coordinator

• 144 posts

Posted January 13 2007 - 04:56 AM

Mary, amazing pictures. I was away from the computer the last few days but now that I see this, I'm thinking I need a Fuji F30 too. dpreview just published a review of the Canon SD800. They pointed out some image quality issues, in particular picture softness especially at the corners, and excessive noise reduction at ISO 200 and above. On my camera, I noticed maybe a tiny bit at ISO 400, and a bit more at 800, but obviously my evaluation was not as thorough as theirs and I didn't crop in as close as they did. Overall I was happier with the camera before I read the review, but damn the critics Posted Image

Back to your camera decision, I suspect that image degradation starting at as low as ISO 200 may be a problem for your needs, so if you and your husband can live with the slightly bigger size of the F30, that is probably the better way to go.

PS. I have to point out that the F30 is not great by any means, and you may want to get a DSLR for better pictures. Look closely at the bottom picture, near the bottom right side about half an inch up, there is way too much blur and purple fringing on the alien standing near the creek. You almost couldn't see him waving with all 3 of his fingers.

#4 of 4 Mary M S

Mary M S

Screenwriter

• 1,546 posts

Posted January 13 2007 - 06:44 PM

Quote:
Overall I was happier with the camera before I read the review
You know what they say! “Does it hurt when you do that. So stop doing that”

Seriously, I think since the P&S's are so limited, you have to pick one with strengths for the situation it will be used in. I did take the Cannon back yet only because I felt the ISO range on the Fuji, would be of more benefit for his ‘road trips.’ The Cannon was better in many areas, but the ISO range and benefit of having a faster shutter speed with its lower light capability, are more suited to the kinds of conditions the little Fuji will be in.

He actually sat that thing on the “dash” (so to speak) of the plane - set the timer (no flash) and the pic was incredibly sharp. He has a very funny look on his face in this shot, he states because he was watching the camera, ready to catch it if it made off the edge, - before the shutter released. Slowly ‘walking’ due to all the vibrations, it still made the shot!

Quote:
You almost couldn't see him waving with all 3 of his fingers.
That area does look like something the Mars Rover would be on. Posted Image

Would love for him to schlep a highly capable DSLR, but those are just too big, - he’d end up leaving it in the bag. We have an aging Sony DSC F717 10x zoom, not small but not as big as a breadbox! Posted Image
I have never been able to get him to pack it. My criterion was; small enough that he would finally carry one (and actually use it) so I can get to see those aliens he spots along the paths he takes! Posted Image

I never learned the Sony, (was a gift to a son and has ended by being the family grab-camera) my last spree with camera’s was my old SLR, - for years I have not really been shooting pictures.
This search for a little pocket has finally perked my lagging interest in the digital’s, and I think I would love to start learning them, - eventually picking out my own DSLR.

Quote:
While you were at it, it would have been fun trying to freeze the prop with a very fast shutter.
Was not me on the shutter for these shots, This was ‘work’ so I was not along, although I do get to ride along on infrequent occasions.
#2 would have had to been taken by the crew chief. The other three were probably all taken by my husband.
#2 not a great shot (by any stretch) but I was impressed that someone could just pick it up and shoot on auto, and the camera did not blow all the detail in the darker portions with so much glare from the windows.
I’ve seen better and bigger cameras (on auto) blow a cockpit shot with glare & shadow such as that, many times.
I think learning the few adjustments which are available (EV etc) the Fuji might do well.

Holadem, - I do have a pic where there is no prop blur!
But ‘twas not the shutter speed that stopped it. Posted Image
It was ‘feathered” a very scary sight when still flying over mountains!

I had the camera 2 days? Then he took those pics, came back for 3 nights and is off again. I can’t wait to see the next batch, and that’s exactly what I got it for ...just to see what he has seen.

The Fuji did surprise me, The Plane was at about 11,000 ft. The plateau of the range in the flyover, about 2,000 ft below.
Between the haze, etched windscreens, I expected more like blurry watercolors (at best) out that window.
It did far better than I would have expected under those circumstances for such an itty bitty thing. Posted Image
You've been dreaming. Dreaming of Sea Captain who haunted this house.

Forum Nav Content I Follow