Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Survivor: Fiji

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
332 replies to this topic

#1 of 333 OFFLINE   AnthonyC

AnthonyC

Screenwriter

• 2,341 posts

Posted January 10 2007 - 04:32 PM

CBS announced today that the next season of Survivor debuts on February 8. The cast announcement is this Friday (1/12).

I'm still curious if that 19th contestant is a man or a woman...or both.

#2 of 333 OFFLINE   AnthonyC

AnthonyC

Screenwriter

• 2,341 posts

Posted January 16 2007 - 07:09 AM

Would anyone be opposed if I started up the HTF Challenge Thread? We didn't have one last season which was a shame...

#3 of 333 OFFLINE   ChristopherG

ChristopherG

Screenwriter

• 1,522 posts

Posted January 16 2007 - 11:44 AM

I wouldn't be opposed, although I don't think my vote counts Posted Image . I would dig being in the challenge though.
It takes 52 pounds of pressure to rupture an eyeball... :blink:

#4 of 333 OFFLINE   Mark Kalzer

Mark Kalzer

Second Unit

• 443 posts

Posted January 16 2007 - 03:50 PM

From what is posted on wikipedia, (and of course I do not take everything on there at face value) one female competitor spontaneously quit a day before production began and it was too late too recast. Hence, the extra cast member is male.

Not sure what's going on with the casting how they keep getting people so ready to quit on the game at a moments notice...there are PLENTY of people who want to be on the show, some from outside the U.S...come on!
- Mark Kalzer

#5 of 333 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,885 posts

Posted January 16 2007 - 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyC
Would anyone be opposed if I started up the HTF Challenge Thread? We didn't have one last season which was a shame...

Sure, go ahead, and once you start the thread, I'll make it a stickie thread.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#6 of 333 OFFLINE   Greg Kettell

Greg Kettell

Screenwriter

• 1,186 posts
  • LocationNY Capital Region

Posted January 16 2007 - 11:05 PM

I thought they had alternates picked just in case of such an occurrence?

#7 of 333 OFFLINE   AnthonyC

AnthonyC

Screenwriter

• 2,341 posts

Posted February 08 2007 - 01:57 PM

Eh...better than the Cook Islands premiere, but that really isn't saying much.

This is the first time in a long while where I've completely despised someone pretty much right off the bat: Dreamz. Ugh.

#8 of 333 OFFLINE   Brent M

Brent M

Producer

• 4,486 posts

Posted February 08 2007 - 02:16 PM

Yawn......I switched over to The Office at 8:30. That's the first time since I started watching the show that I haven't finished an episode. Who got voted off anyway?
"If you're good at something, never do it for free."

#9 of 333 OFFLINE   Greg Krewet

Greg Krewet

Stunt Coordinator

• 193 posts

Posted February 08 2007 - 03:17 PM

I do not like this "Have versus Have not" option which is new this year. Basically it appears 1 team is penalized for half the season for losing 1 challenge early on. I also wanted dreamz to have an early departure.
Best
Greg

#10 of 333 OFFLINE   alan halvorson

alan halvorson

Screenwriter

• 2,021 posts

Posted February 08 2007 - 05:43 PM

Quote:
it appears 1 team is penalized for half the season for losing 1 challenge early on

We don't know this yet. My guess is that the "priviledged" campsite will go to the tribe winning the immunity idol each episode. Doing so adds a lot to the drama, plus it's unlikely that a tribe will throw a challenge simply to rid themselves of a member as one tribe did last season.

Anyway, I liked the start. I certainly don't see it in any negative way. As always, it takes a while to know the contestants. I would have liked to know a bit more about the person who quit at the last moment and whether he/she faces any penalties. How does someone who must have watched several seasons of Survivor not know what he/she may be facing? Thousands of applicants are hopping mad.
They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
- Napoleon XIV

#11 of 333 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,885 posts

Posted February 08 2007 - 05:53 PM

Here's the quitter.

I am hoping the winner of each immunity challenge would get use of the nice pad (during separate tribe phase of the game) until the next challenge. At least that's the way it is in The Apprentice this season (also exec produced by Mark Burnett).

Dreamz is pretty dumb, yapping and stereotyping people outloud.

Too bad Jessica got bounced (mainly for failing on her piece of the puzzle in the challenge). Didn't really like Erica's "that sucks" attitude after learning that her tribe was starting from ground zero for losing the challenge.

It never pays to be perceived a leader early in the game (Silvia).
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#12 of 333 OFFLINE   Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood

Producer

• 3,215 posts

Posted February 09 2007 - 05:01 AM

> My guess is that the "priviledged" campsite will go to the tribe winning the immunity idol each episode.

That's what I assumed, too. This is the same twist that The Apprentice is using now.

The note said the immunity idol was back at camp, but which camp?

Was this the first episode ever that (spoilerized if you want to guess)
didn't have an opening credit sequence?

#13 of 333 OFFLINE   AnthonyC

AnthonyC

Screenwriter

• 2,341 posts

Posted February 10 2007 - 02:41 PM

Yes and no--it was the first without any opening credits, but some episodes in season 12 featured an abbreviated version that didn't have any pictures of contestants. Apparently it was cut because the first cut of the premiere was 12 minutes too long.

#14 of 333 OFFLINE   MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens

Producer

• 3,031 posts

Posted February 11 2007 - 11:38 AM

Quote:
I do not like this "Have versus Have not" option which is new this year. Basically it appears 1 team is penalized for half the season for losing 1 challenge early on.
True - but it will be interesting if they do keep the teams at the one camp to see how that would effect the game. I can see the "haves" actually being rather disadvantaged, simply because things may be so easy and comfortable for them that they almost become lazy and complacent, and don't manage to succeed in the challenges - and then the "have nots" could actually find themselves in a better place.

So, quick survey. Does anyone actually like Dreamz? (Personally, I hated him has soon as I saw his name - especially that bloody Z. And he did nothing to convince me that my assessment was wrong.)

And, a word of advice to Sylvia. If a person doesn't know a word like "askew", I'm pretty sure he's not going to know "orthogonal".

I loved Jeff asking Rocky to just choose one nickname and stick with it. (And incidentally, while I can understand his desire to be known by his name rather than a nickname, really, when you have 19 people to meet and get to know, that type of nickname really is terribly helpful at least in the preliminary stages).
Films watched in 2005 / 2006 / 2007 / 2008 / 2009 / 2010 / 2011
AFI Top 100 lists: Movies, Thrills - Completed / Laughs - 23 to go
Passions - 39 to go / Heroes & Villains - 10 to go / Songs - 42 to go

#15 of 333 OFFLINE   AnthonyC

AnthonyC

Screenwriter

• 2,341 posts

Posted February 11 2007 - 12:45 PM

Regarding the camps:

There is a rumor that at some point early on, the 'haves' camp is given the choice between giving up their camp or voting someone out.

#16 of 333 OFFLINE   AnthonyC

AnthonyC

Screenwriter

• 2,341 posts

Posted February 15 2007 - 07:23 PM

Great episode tonight...much better than last week. I wasn't a big fan of Erica but she was entertaining so I'd wish they'd kept her.

Yao-man feeling up Sylvia for the idol was hysterical, as was accident-prone Boo.

The "Next week" on the website confirms that
at the reward challenge, the medical team comes in--I'm guessing that it's Gary who "didn't want to die on Fiji" since he's the only Moto male I can really see having a serious health issue. Possibly Boo, but then again I doubt they'd have made light of all his injuries tonight if that were the case. The way Cassandra said it, it sounds like he's pulled out of the game, but the website also says there is an immunity challenge, so perhaps this takes place of the double boot episode.

The immunity challenge is, for the first time in four seasons, a gross food challenge which I always love.

(Admin note - Spoilers added)

#17 of 333 OFFLINE   Mark_B

Mark_B

Second Unit

• 287 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted February 16 2007 - 12:30 AM

I also noticed that the rules for the hidden idol have changed. If I recall, Jeff said it must be played BEFORE the votes are read and is only good down to the final five.

#18 of 333 OFFLINE   Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,460 posts

Posted February 16 2007 - 03:54 AM

Which is an interesting twist, because you can trick the HII holder into not playing by pretending they are safe when they are actually on the chopping block.

I don't have the energy to do Separated at Births but here's a list of our nicknames for the Survivors:

Alex - Furio
Erica - Macy Gray
Boo - Puddy
Anthony - Tiger (Woods)
Dreamz - Lamarr (from Revenge of the Nerds)
Earl - Hootie

#19 of 333 OFFLINE   MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens

Producer

• 3,031 posts

Posted February 17 2007 - 11:42 PM

Quote:
I also noticed that the rules for the hidden idol have changed. If I recall, Jeff said it must be played BEFORE the votes are read and is only good down to the final five.
They've finally found the way to use the idol to best effect, in that the player has to actually choose to play it (rather than pulling it out as a Get Out Of Jail Free card).

Now, was I right in my understanding that Erica was actually right about the puzzle piece?
Films watched in 2005 / 2006 / 2007 / 2008 / 2009 / 2010 / 2011
AFI Top 100 lists: Movies, Thrills - Completed / Laughs - 23 to go
Passions - 39 to go / Heroes & Villains - 10 to go / Songs - 42 to go

#20 of 333 OFFLINE   Dheiner

Dheiner

Screenwriter

• 1,890 posts
  • Location'skonsen

Posted February 18 2007 - 12:35 AM

Quote:
Now, was I right in my understanding that Erica was actually right about the puzzle piece?

Nope. The way I saw it, when they listened to her and tried the piece, again, it still didn't fit. So, not only was she wrong, she was really loud about it.

I would have still kept her around, voting out Sylvia, but my vote doesn't count.
The Green Bay Packers
13-Time National Football League Champions: 1929, 1930, 1931, 1936, 1939, 1944, 1961, 1962, 1965, 1966, 1967, 1996, & 2010

Back to TV Programming

Forum Nav Content I Follow