What's new

R.I.P. Walt Disney Treasures series? See post #82! (1 Viewer)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
That really is too bad. It was perhaps the classiest series yet for classic content. Nice article on the series in yesterday's New York Times Arts section too.

Kris Z.

Stunt Coordinator
Really unfortunate for all those who wanted to see Donald finished but as for me personally I say good riddance. I didn't buy wave 5 because of the horrible quality and they had the chance to redeem themselves with wave 6 but instead they decided to skimp on the restoration yet again. Couple this with the Little Mermaid Platinum Edition fiasco, the constant re-releases of classics with little to no improvement, the dropping of original soundtracks and I'm done with Disney. Maybe for the next-generation format they could treat their properties with the respect they deserve.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
This is bad news, but if I try a positive note, I'd say: perhaps they will still bring out the rest of the Donald's in one form or another (hopefully a good one - form, that is!).

Cees

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
It would be horrible to not complete the Donalds ------- what about this new Legacy series they've started?

landlocked54

Auditioning
Real Name
Ron
I don't think Disney would want two collectors' type series (Treasures and the new Legacy Collection) to be in competition with each other. Even though wave one of the Legacy Collection is out now and a second wave of three that we know of to be out sometime in 2007, I'm sure we'll see more of them. And maybe Donald might get an extended run in the Legacy Collection.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
How can they do this before we get the last two volumes of Donald cartoons? What about all those misc. shorts?

Warner Bros. has six more of their Looney Tunes sets lined up, plus the intention to make sure everything left over is put out eventually.

At least we have all the Mickeys, Silly Symphonies, Goofy, and the WWII cartoons. It's inexcusable to quit before all the Donald Duck shorts are out, though.

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor
Of all the various series, I've enjoyed the Donald ones the most. It will be too bad if they never get a proper release.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Donald's always been my favorite of the classic Disney characters, and my most anticipated and enjoyed Treasures releases. This is a major bummer.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Can't believe that they aren't going to finish off the Donalds, but at the same time, I'm not surprised. It sounds like the restoration was crap on the last few, but there's also no good reason to release these in such limited numbers. Why go to all that trouble to restore the first ones, and then just stop releasing them? I'd have bought some of the Wave 1 discs, but you can't just walk into a store and buy them. If these ended up as a wide release, perhaps they'd be able to spend the money on restoring them?

I'm sure people would buy more of the donald shorts though, as well as a bunch of the other misc. shorts.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Well, THE HARDY BOYS set was marvelous for the most part with decent extras, and the episodes looking just fine. I am very sorry to read that they aren't going to continue with the series. I was hoping for the second editions of SPIN & MARTY and THE HARDY BOYS.

Disney did an astonsihing amount of restoration on the True-Life Adventures Legacy series if comparisons with the VHS tapes are any indication. I just watched THE AFRICAN LION this afternoon, and it was beautifully in focus and looked near pristine! The VHS tape of that feature was almost unwatchable.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
I really have enjoyed these releases and looked forward to them every year. Here's to hoping they do continue in one form or another.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
This is a shame. While not a gigantic Donald fan I did enjoy the first volume of cartoons. I'm glad they got to release the second volume of Silly Symphonies, anyway - these were the cartoons that enticed me to buy my first set of treasures tins, and a nice, if not ultimately very satisfying, way to bookend the series. As for restoration... they just didn't spend the time or money the last few times around to improve the quality of the content. Still, I thought wave six was better than wave five in this regard. It's not a big deal on my 27" tube, which isn't getting upgraded anytime soon.

Out of all the (animated) treasures tins, "Behind the Scenes" is the only set I regret not purchasing when it was first released (sealed copies are still available but they're pricey). Tomorrowland also had some gems that, if not for the HTF, I may have overlooked.

Come on, this is Disney. They'll find SOME way, eventually, to part our money from our pocketbooks. And again. And again. And again. Who knows? Maybe the fabled "hi-def revolution" is the real reason the plug was pulled. HD-TREASURES! A collective groan ensues...

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I'm surprised we got six waves to begin with.

Had Disney bothered to release the Donalds one per year, as they did with the Mickeys, Donald would be finished. I don't understand why wave 4 and 6 didn't have Donald sets. I also don't understand why pluto was two sets. Many of my favorite Donald shorts would have been in vol. 3 so I'm bitterly disappointed.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
They can just do two more Donalds and the hell with the rest of it, I guess. I think Disney sux more than ever, now!!

Reagan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reagan
This is a major let down. Not only do they need to release the remaining Donalds, they also need to re-release the last Donald with transfers that were done some time after 1988.

-Reagan

Nathan Phillips

Stunt Coordinator
There's currently talk at the Ultimate Disney forum about organizing a petition of some sort for one last wave to finish Donald and possibly an Educational Shorts/Rarities volume. I would definitely be in support of that and I think lots of people would go for one last batch of animation-related tins.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks