Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

R.I.P. Walt Disney Treasures series? See post #82!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
131 replies to this topic

#1 of 132 OFFLINE   streeter

streeter

Screenwriter

• 1,391 posts

Posted January 10 2007 - 01:02 AM

According to Leonard Maltin, wave 6 was the last.
I'm really bummed out - at least they should have finished it up with Donald Duck 3&4 and Rarities 2.

http://www.ultimated....18132&start=66
Nothing Lost Forever: The Films of Tom Schiller
"I'll tell you why... 'cause I'm a dancer."

home page / dvds

#2 of 132 OFFLINE   Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,941 posts

Posted January 10 2007 - 01:46 AM

That really is too bad. It was perhaps the classiest series yet for classic content. Nice article on the series in yesterday's New York Times Arts section too.

#3 of 132 OFFLINE   Kris Z.

Kris Z.

Stunt Coordinator

• 191 posts

Posted January 10 2007 - 02:56 AM

Really unfortunate for all those who wanted to see Donald finished but as for me personally I say good riddance. I didn't buy wave 5 because of the horrible quality and they had the chance to redeem themselves with wave 6 but instead they decided to skimp on the restoration yet again. Couple this with the Little Mermaid Platinum Edition fiasco, the constant re-releases of classics with little to no improvement, the dropping of original soundtracks and I'm done with Disney. Maybe for the next-generation format they could treat their properties with the respect they deserve.

#4 of 132 OFFLINE   Lars Vermundsberget

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor

• 725 posts

Posted January 10 2007 - 03:24 AM

Unfinished business.

#5 of 132 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,660 posts

Posted January 10 2007 - 04:02 AM

This is bad news, but if I try a positive note, I'd say: perhaps they will still bring out the rest of the Donald's in one form or another (hopefully a good one - form, that is!).

Cees

#6 of 132 OFFLINE   Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff

Screenwriter

• 2,029 posts

Posted January 10 2007 - 04:41 AM

It would be horrible to not complete the Donalds ------- what about this new Legacy series they've started?

#7 of 132 OFFLINE   landlocked54

landlocked54

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted January 10 2007 - 05:17 AM

I don't think Disney would want two collectors' type series (Treasures and the new Legacy Collection) to be in competition with each other. Even though wave one of the Legacy Collection is out now and a second wave of three that we know of to be out sometime in 2007, I'm sure we'll see more of them. And maybe Donald might get an extended run in the Legacy Collection.

#8 of 132 OFFLINE   Steven Wesley

Steven Wesley

Second Unit

• 291 posts

Posted January 10 2007 - 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by landlocked54
And maybe Donald might get an extended run in the Legacy Collection.
... except that his shirt will be red instead of blue. Posted Image
Walt Disney Treasures - Disney DVD Inserts

#9 of 132 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,477 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted January 10 2007 - 06:24 AM

How can they do this before we get the last two volumes of Donald cartoons? What about all those misc. shorts?

Warner Bros. has six more of their Looney Tunes sets lined up, plus the intention to make sure everything left over is put out eventually.

At least we have all the Mickeys, Silly Symphonies, Goofy, and the WWII cartoons. It's inexcusable to quit before all the Donald Duck shorts are out, though.

#10 of 132 OFFLINE   MarkHarrison

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor

• 597 posts

Posted January 10 2007 - 06:47 AM

Of all the various series, I've enjoyed the Donald ones the most. It will be too bad if they never get a proper release.

#11 of 132 OFFLINE   CameronMcC

CameronMcC

Second Unit

• 298 posts

Posted January 10 2007 - 08:33 AM

bummer

#12 of 132 OFFLINE   Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Screenwriter

• 2,680 posts

Posted January 10 2007 - 08:59 AM

Donald's always been my favorite of the classic Disney characters, and my most anticipated and enjoyed Treasures releases. This is a major bummer.

#13 of 132 OFFLINE   Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon

Screenwriter

• 2,071 posts

Posted January 10 2007 - 09:04 AM

Can't believe that they aren't going to finish off the Donalds, but at the same time, I'm not surprised. It sounds like the restoration was crap on the last few, but there's also no good reason to release these in such limited numbers. Why go to all that trouble to restore the first ones, and then just stop releasing them? I'd have bought some of the Wave 1 discs, but you can't just walk into a store and buy them. If these ended up as a wide release, perhaps they'd be able to spend the money on restoring them?

I'm sure people would buy more of the donald shorts though, as well as a bunch of the other misc. shorts.
XBox Live Gamertag:ChrisBardon

#14 of 132 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,565 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted January 10 2007 - 09:11 AM

Well, THE HARDY BOYS set was marvelous for the most part with decent extras, and the episodes looking just fine. I am very sorry to read that they aren't going to continue with the series. I was hoping for the second editions of SPIN & MARTY and THE HARDY BOYS.

Disney did an astonsihing amount of restoration on the True-Life Adventures Legacy series if comparisons with the VHS tapes are any indication. I just watched THE AFRICAN LION this afternoon, and it was beautifully in focus and looked near pristine! The VHS tape of that feature was almost unwatchable.

#15 of 132 OFFLINE   Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,525 posts

Posted January 10 2007 - 11:00 AM

I really have enjoyed these releases and looked forward to them every year. Here's to hoping they do continue in one form or another.
DVD & Blu-ray - It's all about the movies!

#16 of 132 OFFLINE   Steve Y

Steve Y

Supporting Actor

• 704 posts

Posted January 10 2007 - 01:06 PM

This is a shame. While not a gigantic Donald fan I did enjoy the first volume of cartoons. I'm glad they got to release the second volume of Silly Symphonies, anyway - these were the cartoons that enticed me to buy my first set of treasures tins, and a nice, if not ultimately very satisfying, way to bookend the series. As for restoration... they just didn't spend the time or money the last few times around to improve the quality of the content. Still, I thought wave six was better than wave five in this regard. It's not a big deal on my 27" tube, which isn't getting upgraded anytime soon.

Out of all the (animated) treasures tins, "Behind the Scenes" is the only set I regret not purchasing when it was first released (sealed copies are still available but they're pricey). Tomorrowland also had some gems that, if not for the HTF, I may have overlooked.

Come on, this is Disney. They'll find SOME way, eventually, to part our money from our pocketbooks. And again. And again. And again. Who knows? Maybe the fabled "hi-def revolution" is the real reason the plug was pulled. HD-TREASURES! A collective groan ensues...

#17 of 132 OFFLINE   Adam_S

Adam_S

Producer

• 6,119 posts

Posted January 10 2007 - 06:15 PM

I'm surprised we got six waves to begin with.

Had Disney bothered to release the Donalds one per year, as they did with the Mickeys, Donald would be finished. I don't understand why wave 4 and 6 didn't have Donald sets. I also don't understand why pluto was two sets. Many of my favorite Donald shorts would have been in vol. 3 so I'm bitterly disappointed.

#18 of 132 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,394 posts

Posted January 10 2007 - 08:18 PM

They can just do two more Donalds and the hell with the rest of it, I guess. I think Disney sux more than ever, now!!

#19 of 132 OFFLINE   Reagan

Reagan

Supporting Actor

• 545 posts

Posted January 11 2007 - 02:08 AM

This is a major let down. Not only do they need to release the remaining Donalds, they also need to re-release the last Donald with transfers that were done some time after 1988.

-Reagan
The truth doesn't care whether you believe it.

#20 of 132 OFFLINE   Nathan Phillips

Nathan Phillips

Stunt Coordinator

• 84 posts

Posted January 11 2007 - 05:20 AM

There's currently talk at the Ultimate Disney forum about organizing a petition of some sort for one last wave to finish Donald and possibly an Educational Shorts/Rarities volume. I would definitely be in support of that and I think lots of people would go for one last batch of animation-related tins.