Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Big Lots foreign/independent DVD blowouts: $2 and up!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   David Lawson

David Lawson

Screenwriter

• 1,361 posts

Posted January 09 2007 - 11:04 AM

I borrowed this list from DVD Talk Forum. It may not be complete or entirely accurate, but I have seen around half of these titles at various Big Lots locations around town. All of the stores I have visited have only one copy of any given title. All are between $2.00 and $4.99: 3 Way (a.k.a. Three Way Split) Adam Had Four Sons Advertising Rules! Afterglow Alarmist Amateur (1994) Angels Over Broadway Another Meltdown Arizona (1940) Atlantis Baadasssss! Backlash (Special Edition) Band Of The Hand Beijing Bicycle Berenstain Bears: Bears Get A Babysitter Berenstain Bears: Fun Lessons To Learn Better Way To Die (Special Edition) Betty Blue (Director's Cut) Big Brass Ring Big Girls Don't Cry (Special Edition) Big Picture (Special Edition) Big Shot's Funeral Big Trouble (1986) Black And White (1999/ Special Edition) Black Gunn Blackout (1997) Blood Crime Bon Voyage (2003) Bonjour Tristesse Borderline (2002) Broken Wings Brother John Brotherhood Of Satan Bugsy California Split Carandiru Caught Charlie's Angels: Angels Under Cover Chase (1966) Children Of The Night Circus (2000/ Special Edition) Code (a.k.a. La Mentale) Cold Steel Commandos Strike At Dawn Creeping Flesh (Columbia/Tri-Star) Crush (2001) Cuckoo Cyborg 009 (Uncut) Cyborg 009: Good Vs. Evil Dancer, Texas Dark Blue World (Special Edition) Dead Heat On A Merry-Go-Round Dead Sexy Debut (Special Edition) December Desert Bloom (Columbia/Tri-Star, 1986) Desert Blue (Columbia/Tri-Star, 1998) Devil At 4 O'clock Devil Commands (Columbia/Tri-Star, 1941) Die Die My Darling Divorce American Style Don't Raise The Bridge, Lower The River Double Vision (a.k.a. Shuang Tong) Down To Earth (1947 Dragon Tales: Let's Start A Band Dream For An Insomniac Dream With The Fishes Dreamlife Of Angels Earth vs. The Spider East West (Special Edition) Eat A Bowl Of Tea Enigma (Columbia/Tri-Star) The Evil That Men Do Das Experiment Experiment In Terror Facing Windows Fat City Fifth Musketeer Fingers Fire Down Below (1957) First Shot (2002) The Front Gas Food Lodging Gene Krupa Story Gidget: The Complete Collection Girl (1999) Gloria (1999) Goldwyn: The Man And His Movies Good Bye, Lenin! (Special Edition) The Governess Goya In Bordeaux Groove (Special Edition) Guilty As Charged Haiku Tunnel Hangman Hanky Panky Happy Birthday To Me Happy Times Harder They Fall Harry And Walter Go To New York Harvest Heavy Gear: Battle For The Badlands (Special Edition) Heavy Gear: The Dragon's Shadow (Special Edition) Hellcats Of The Navy Home Room Homicidal Horsemen How To Make A Monster Howards Of Virginia I Capture The Castle Ignition (Special Edition) I'm With Lucy Implicated Innocence It Should Happen To You Jackie Chan Adventures: The Dark Hand Returns Jackie Chan Adventures: The Search For The Talismans Jackie Chan Adventures: The Shadow Of Shendu Jackpot (Special Edition) Japanese Story (Special Edition) Jill The Ripper Joe And Max Just Looking Kept The Kid Stays In The Picture Kontroll Lady And The Duke Last Orders (Special Edition) Le Dernier Combat Looking Glass War Lord Jim Loss Of Sexual Innocence Loves Of Carmen Loving Luzhin Defence (Special Edition) Mac Maggie And The Ferocious Beast: Let's Go To The Beach Maggie And The Ferocious Beast: Let's Play A Game Maggie And The Ferocious Beast: Puzzles And Picnics Mambo Italiano Man And Boy Man Called Sledge Man Who Loved Women (1983) Man Without A Past Manny And Lo Marrying Kind Matinee Idol / Frank Capra's American Dream Me Myself I Me Without You Me You Them (Special Edition) Men Of Respect Men With Guns (1997) Mifune Mission Kashmir Monsieur Ibrahim Montana The Mother (2003) Mr. Sardonicus Music In My Heart My Wife Is An Actress Mystic Masseur The Myth Of Fingerprints Naked Lies New Best Friend Nil By Mouth Nina Takes A Lover No Contest Obsession (1976) Once A Thief (1991) Once Upon A Time (1944) Once Upon A Time In The Midlands Outside The Law (2001) Pact Of Silence Passionada (Special Edition) Pauline And Paulette (Special Edition) Peep Show Pennies From Heaven (1936) Pickle Piranha II: The Spawning Prisoner (1990/ Special Edition) Quitting Raising Victor Vargas Read My Lips Red Dwarf Reptilian Respiro Returner Ride Beyond Vengeance Ruby (1992) Safe (Special Edition) Salvajes Sea Is Watching Secret Ballot The Secret Lives Of Dentists (Special Edition) See No Evil Shadow Magic (Special Edition) Shadrach Shamus She's Out Of Control Sin Sirocco The Slugger's Wife Snake In The Eagle's Shadow Solid Gold Cadillac Solomon And Gaenor Son Of The Bride Soul Assassin Spider (Special Edition) Splendor Storyville Subway Sunshine State Sweet Hearts Dance Swimmer There's A Girl In My Soup They Came To Cordura This Is My Father (Special Edition) Threesome Time And Tide (Special Edition) Time Code (Special Edition) Tiptoes Tokyo Joe True Blue Tube Twin Falls Idaho Va Savoir Vanya On 42nd Street Velocity Of Gary Vertical Ray Of Sun A Very Long Engagement Virtual Sexuality Walk On The Wild Side Waterdance Watermelon Man What To Do In Case Of Fire When Strangers Appear Where The Day Takes You White River Wilder Napalm World Traveler Wrong Is Right Young Adam Zhou Yu's Train YMMV...it is Big Lots, after all. I purchased a number of them earlier from Deep Discount DVD when they were buy 2, get 1 at $5.98 each and thought that was a hell of a deal. If anyone finds Tube (a Korean film) or Monsieur Ibrahim, let me know...hopefully we can work something out. I've given up on finding them locally. I have picked up the following for $2.00 each: - Bon Voyage - Broken Wings - Dark Blue World - Das Experiment - Happy Times - I Capture The Castle - Le Dernier Combat - The Luzhin Defence - Mr. Sardonicus - Pauline and Paulette - Raising Victor Vargas - Son of the Bride - Twin Falls Idaho Good luck!
He obviously misinterpreted what it means to "be bullish."

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,747 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted January 13 2007 - 04:12 PM

Neat! I'll have to check out our store after brunch tomorrow. Posted Image
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   alan halvorson

alan halvorson

Screenwriter

• 2,021 posts

Posted January 14 2007 - 05:08 AM

Who would have the time and stamina to stand in the dvd section in Big Lots and record all those titles?Posted Image
They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
- Napoleon XIV

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   EricSchulz

EricSchulz

Producer

• 4,516 posts

Posted January 14 2007 - 11:29 AM

My BigLots had a whopping 10 or so DVDs in stock...a few PD TV shows, Twin Falls Idaho and a couple of martial arts titles... :-(

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,747 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted January 14 2007 - 03:17 PM

Only a small handful of titles at my store too. I didn't buy any.
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   Casey Neutron

Casey Neutron

Stunt Coordinator

• 127 posts

Posted January 14 2007 - 06:43 PM

Between the two stores in my area I picked up 6 titles: The Late Show ($5) Subway ($2) Manny & Lo ($2) Desert Bloom ($2) Eat a Bowl of Tea ($3) Raising Victor Vargas ($2) The coolest thing about this sale is that most of these movies have just gone out of print, and we've been given a final chance to pick them up--at rock-bottom prices. Unfortunately, the ones I wanted most ("Vanya on 42nd Street," "Safe," "Obsession," "Fat City," "The Dreamlife of Angels," and "Happy Times") were not to be found. I wonder if Big Lots will be getting any more of these titles in stock. I'll be keeping tabs.

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   rob kilbride

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor

• 711 posts

Posted March 19 2007 - 11:08 AM

Found Tadpole today. However, it is a Canadian release from Alliance Atlantis. I've never bought any import DVD's before, so I was wondering if I can expect the same quality as on the American release.

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   Chet_F

Chet_F

Supporting Actor

• 777 posts

Posted March 22 2007 - 09:25 AM

I picked up Homicidal, Another Meltdown, and 3-Way. There were a few others at the Chattanooga, TN store off of brainerd rd.
"If you’re lucky, people like something you do early and something you do just before you drop dead. That’s as many pats on the back as you should expect." - Warren Zevon 1993, R.I.P.

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   Jeff Reis

Jeff Reis

Stunt Coordinator

• 186 posts

Posted February 21 2008 - 10:25 AM

I just picked up the 2-disc SE of Memento for $3. New, sealed copy, not PV.

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted February 21 2008 - 03:59 PM

Yup. Bear in mind that Tadpole was shot on prosumer high-def video and tends to look quite rough in parts. But an excellent John Ritter film, nonetheless.
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   Casey Neutron

Casey Neutron

Stunt Coordinator

• 127 posts

Posted February 29 2008 - 11:50 AM

I've checked out my local Big Lots a couple times since this thread resurfaced last week. Found lots of Columbia/Sony titles at $3 per. All new and factory-sealed, no pre-viewed copies: Closer Ali (director's cut) The Passenger (Antonioni/Nicholson) Freedomland Hollywood Homicide Charlie's Angels (Superbit) Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle (FS) Christine (original flipper) Body Double (SE) Casualties Of War (director's cut) Blue Thunder (SE) Breakfast On Pluto Being Julia Three Burials Of Melquiades Estrada (Tommy Lee Jones) Awakenings Fun With Dick And Jane (1977) And Now For Something Completely Different A River Runs Through It The Squid And The Whale Silver City The Craft/Wild Things (double feature) Saw just one copy of the "Memento" 2-disc. It's mine now.