What's new

Disney the classics, animated and non animated? (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
should we expect any dates or announcement on disney classic titles anytime soon?
during CES?

I havent noticed any discussion of any kind anywere yet.

here is the list as of august '08.

Sleeping Beauty
Pinocchio ∗
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs ∗
Fantasia ∗
Fantasia 2000 ∗
Beauty and the Beast

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
So far the only animated Disney Blu-Ray title announced so far is Cars, but the others (Beauty & The Beast, Aladdin, Finding Nemo, etc.) have been mentioned in PR's and on their Blu-Ray intros as Coming Soon. These CES titles pretty much are up through the summer, so we'll probably see more announced for the second half of the year.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
I'm personally hoping they release a title this Christmas. What's on the roadmap for their big release this winter? Last year was Bambi, correct? Maybe we could see someting day and date.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
The Platinum route makes a lot of sense, certainly in the beginning. Peter Pan is March so that doesn't seem likey. The Jungle Book is the Q4 platinum.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
I really doubt that Disney will break there long time rule of warehousing these films and only releasing them for short periords once every 7 or 10 years. I think you will not see the classics in BD until the next regular scheduled release of that film to SD.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Why? Disney didn't release the platinums or their primo titles on DVD when they first came out. Why should we expect it now?

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
And it looks like they are not going to release the Platinums of their classics on BD just yet. With Peter Pan being pulled from the vaults and being released next week,it seems they are not yet ready to put these classics on BD.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

I am sure they are... When ever the next scheduled release dates for these films happen. But then again, they just passed up a perfect opportunity to release Peter Pan.

Dave>h

Second Unit
Oh Gee,

Maybe since Dinsey decided not to release Peter Pan on Blu Ray, it means they are re thinking their HD Strategy and will be producing it on both HD DVD and Blu Ray? I'll bet that is the reason.

If it was a Universal title, that would be the conclusion of the Blu Ray team! : )

Said with Tongue firmly in cheek before people start to flame me.

Dave

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Disney isn't planning to release Peter Pan on HD DVD. If anything, the momentum of BD has only solidified their position to make it suceed and end the format war... which will benefit their own pockets in turn (ie, adoption rate of HD software will increase substantially once the format war has ended in the minds of the consumers). This is a *strategy* on the part of Disney and Fox. They *want* one format, and they chose BD for reasons that have been well understood. Releasing on dual-format will only drag out the war and keep HD software sales at a minimum... and potentiall stale-mate both formats entirely.

Getting one format and getting it fast will make them the most $$ because all the side-line consumers will then be willing to jump in and adopt HD.

Nope. They just *maximixed* their profits by releasing it now on SD DVD with millions in sales. Then they'll release on BD later.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
I just do not agree with this spin. Releasing in BD would have added to their profits now and showed just how strong their commitment is to the High Def market. But since they didn't, there is almost no possibility that Disney will break with their long standing release schedule. If Peter Pan does not get released in BD before it is piulled from the market in the next few months, it will sit in the Disney Vault for the next 5 to 7 years. Disney is not going to break what has been a genuis marketing plan for the Animated Classics to help BD. When the limited time is up on this release, back to the vaults it goes.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
New formats can establish new release dates. We saw that with laserdisc/VHS versus DVD for a few titles.

Either way it still makes more sense... if they *were* going to follow the typical release strategy and then pull the discs off the shelf, why would they want to waste a BD move now and sell only a few thousand copies with the limited base of HD consumers and then shelve the title? Why not wait a few years for the format to mature to gain a larger consumer base where they could really make some money with a limited-issue release?

They'll probably start by putting their titles out on BD that don't have limited windows of release to help the format get established first. That's what they did with DVD.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

Because they would have sold a few thousand more copies, it would have helped solidify BD and it would have reenforced there stance on BD. Since they were working from a new remastering of the film, it would have made since. And when has a studio had a problem with rereleasing titles. They love it.

This is the same problem I have with all of the studios that profess total support for a format (or both) verbally, but not in action. It is about time they put there releases where their mouths are.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
I don't think Disney is afraid of releasing A-list titles on BD. They are releasing their 2 biggest DVD sellers from last year shortly. Perhaps there wasn't enough lead time for Pan. A Jungle Book BD in Oct. seems like a no-brainer.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Right.

Again, Disney has ALWAYS held back on their limited-issue releases until new formats have had enough of a consumer base to justify the limited-release window. That makes sense.

Disney is, without a doubt in the eyes of anyone paying attention, showing incredible support for the BD format. Releasing many top-A titles as Brett says. Other animated non-limited-issue titles will be showing up like Cars and Chicken Little to help bridge the gap to when the consumer base is deemed ready to support a profitable sale of limited-release titles.

In case anyone is curious, selling a few thousand BD titles barely covers the cost of disc production and authoring (if that). Disney is waiting to release their limited-edition classics until those sales numbers can increase more significantly.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Pirates, baby, Pirates. The dual releases of Pirates of the Carribean scheduled to coincide with the third film is a HUGE show of support.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
right but this topic is specific on the established animated/non-animated classics. such as peter pan, jungle book. 20,000 leagues etc...
while the pirate movies have made a ton of dough and are well liked
they arent what i was referring to on this topic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks