What's new

No DTS with PS3? (1 Viewer)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I tried a few regular DVDs and last night I tried Sleepy Hollow on BD and none of them will play the DTS track. I have it turned on in the PS3 setup menu, but does it have some weird hidden option like the PS2 used to? Using optical for audio output and I updated the system to 1.32 this weekend. Thanks.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
There was no setting for that, that I could see, only to turn DD/DTS on in the audio settings, and DD is working correctly. On my receiver, I don't get noise, I just get nothing, so it is not even sending the stream. I know about the bitstream thing, because nearly all players come with DTS off and default set to PCM.

With the PS2, there was another place where you had to set it, but you could only do it with a DVD that had a DTS track on it in the player so the option would be available. I'll mess with it again tonight and see. Maybe it is in another part of the setup menu area?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Got it working, but not exactly sure which thing fixed it. I checked and bitstream was already set, and DTS was on. The only thing I changed really in the settings was turning AAC off, and then DTS worked. I did also switch to an HDMI to DVI cable, but audio is still going through optical so that shouldn't have affected the digital feed.

Hooligan

Auditioning
Real Name
Rob Grishow
Dumb question: what's the difference between the bitstream and PCM? I was going through the same PS3 menus last night and didn't know which one to use. I always choose DTS when it's offered.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Bitstream allows the system to pass the original digital stream which will give you "normal" DD/DTS audio. PCM is generally stereo only (CDs are PCM), though 5.1 DTS can be passed via PCM, aka dts-CDs. So for players with the option, you want bitstream otherwise you will get a downmixed stereo signal.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Also, the PS3 (and the Toshiba HD-DVD units) pass TrueHD and other multichannel audio codecs over HDMI using LPCM (Linear PCM) in multichannel format. In that case you want to set the PS3's HDMI audio menu to PCM (I seem to recall that it even warns you that if you set it to "bitstream" you might not get the full sound via HDMI).

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member

I have both set to "bitstream".
If your receiver is HDMI 1.1 then it will "talk" to the PS3 and tell it to send TrueHD and SACD signals as multichannel PCM. So I can take advantage of my receiver's native Dolby/DTS with THX processing, plus I don't lose the ES channel in "X-Men: The Last Stand".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks