Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

No DTS with PS3?

PlayStation

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,521 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted January 08 2007 - 06:25 AM

I tried a few regular DVDs and last night I tried Sleepy Hollow on BD and none of them will play the DTS track. I have it turned on in the PS3 setup menu, but does it have some weird hidden option like the PS2 used to? Using optical for audio output and I updated the system to 1.32 this weekend. Thanks.
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#2 of 8 ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson

Screenwriter

• 2,181 posts

Posted January 08 2007 - 10:31 AM

As I recall from the PS2, I think ou have to set audio to "bitstream" and not PCM.

#3 of 8 John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,521 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted January 08 2007 - 10:36 AM

There was no setting for that, that I could see, only to turn DD/DTS on in the audio settings, and DD is working correctly. On my receiver, I don't get noise, I just get nothing, so it is not even sending the stream. I know about the bitstream thing, because nearly all players come with DTS off and default set to PCM.

With the PS2, there was another place where you had to set it, but you could only do it with a DVD that had a DTS track on it in the player so the option would be available. I'll mess with it again tonight and see. Maybe it is in another part of the setup menu area?
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#4 of 8 John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,521 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted January 09 2007 - 04:11 AM

Got it working, but not exactly sure which thing fixed it. I checked and bitstream was already set, and DTS was on. The only thing I changed really in the settings was turning AAC off, and then DTS worked. I did also switch to an HDMI to DVI cable, but audio is still going through optical so that shouldn't have affected the digital feed.

#5 of 8 Hooligan

Hooligan

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted January 11 2007 - 10:19 AM

Dumb question: what's the difference between the bitstream and PCM? I was going through the same PS3 menus last night and didn't know which one to use. I always choose DTS when it's offered.

#6 of 8 John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,521 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted January 12 2007 - 05:03 AM

Bitstream allows the system to pass the original digital stream which will give you "normal" DD/DTS audio. PCM is generally stereo only (CDs are PCM), though 5.1 DTS can be passed via PCM, aka dts-CDs. So for players with the option, you want bitstream otherwise you will get a downmixed stereo signal.

#7 of 8 RAF

RAF

Lead Actor

• 7,062 posts

Posted January 12 2007 - 08:04 AM

Also, the PS3 (and the Toshiba HD-DVD units) pass TrueHD and other multichannel audio codecs over HDMI using LPCM (Linear PCM) in multichannel format. In that case you want to set the PS3's HDMI audio menu to PCM (I seem to recall that it even warns you that if you set it to "bitstream" you might not get the full sound via HDMI).
RAF
[Demented Video Dude since 1997]
[Computer Maven since 1956]
["PITA" since 1942]
CLICK HERE to visit My HT HTF Rules and Regulations

#8 of 8 PeterTHX

PeterTHX

Screenwriter

• 2,034 posts

Posted January 12 2007 - 08:13 AM

Quote:
In that case you want to set the PS3's HDMI audio menu to PCM (I seem to recall that it even warns you that if you set it to "bitstream" you might not get the full sound via HDMI).

I have both set to "bitstream".
If your receiver is HDMI 1.1 then it will "talk" to the PS3 and tell it to send TrueHD and SACD signals as multichannel PCM. So I can take advantage of my receiver's native Dolby/DTS with THX processing, plus I don't lose the ES channel in "X-Men: The Last Stand".