Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

- - - - -

SPHE Press Release: Newsradio: The Complete Fifth Season

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 44,027 posts

Posted January 08 2007 - 12:34 AM

On DVD for the Last Time …

Dave Foley, Andy Dick, Maura Tierney and New Castmate Jon Lovitz
Arrive on DVD March 20 with Bonus Features Including
Featurette, Filmmaker Commentaries & Bloopers

Culver City, Calif. (January 8, 2007) – Dave Foley, Jon Lovitz, Andy Dick, Maura Tierney and the crew from radio station WNYX are back for their last season of madcap office politics and crazy co-worker hijinks when NewsRadio: The Complete Fifth Season debuts on DVD March 20 from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment. The three-disc set consists of all 22 episodes and bonus features including commentaries on select episodes with filmmakers, bloopers, and a new featurette. The series will be priced at $39.95 SRP.

The brilliant ensemble cast of comedians features Dave Foley (TV’s “Celebrity Poker Showdown,” “Kids in the Hall”), Jon Lovitz (TV’s “Saturday Night Live,” A League of Their Own), Joe Rogan (TV’s “Fear Factor”), Andy Dick (TV’s “Less Than Perfect”), Maura Tierney (TV’s “ER”), and Vicki Lewis (Finding Nemo). Guest appearances during the show’s sixth season include Adam West (TV’s “Batman”), Tiffani Thiessen (TV’s “Beverly Hills, 90210”), and Patrick Warburton (Puddy from TV’s “Seinfeld”).

Following its debut on NBC on March 21, 1995, NewsRadio was considered one of the wittiest sitcoms of the ‘90s, and was nominated for three Emmy® Awards (winning one) over the course of its 5-season, 97-episode run. Created and written by Paul Simms (TV’s “The Larry Sanders Show”) and executive-produced by Bernie Brillstein (The Replacement Killers, TV’s “Just Shoot Me”) and Brad Grey (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, TV’s “Just Shoot Me”), NewsRadio’s top-notch writing lampooned the often ridiculous situations inherent in office politics and the media’s corporate world.

NewsRadio: The Complete Fifth Season episodes include:

Bill Moves On
Meet The Max Louis
Lucky Burger
Flowers for Mathew
The Lam
Clash of the Titans
Spooking Rapping Crypt
Padded Suit
Freaky Friday
New Hampshire

DVD Special Features Include:
•“The Lost Episode” Featurette
•Filmmaker Commentaries on Select Episodes
•Digitally Remastered Audio and Video
•Full Screen Presentations
•Audio: English (Stereo)
•Subtitles: Portuguese
•Bonus Previews
•Closed Captioned

BROADCAST YEAR: 1998 - 1999

NewsRadio: The Complete Fifth Season has a run time of approximately 482 minutes and is not rated. Artwork is available at www.SPHEPUBLICITY.COM. Visit Sony Pictures Home Entertainment on the Web at www.SonyPictures.com.

DVD Catalog # 18002
UPC Code: 0-43396-18002-4
Order Date: 2/14/07
SRP: $39.95

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 13 OFFLINE   Jay_B!

• 1,746 posts

Posted January 08 2007 - 06:23 AM

Sony finishes a series in less than two years? wow, there is a God!!!

#3 of 13 OFFLINE   MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor

• 597 posts

Posted January 08 2007 - 06:40 AM

I'm just glad they're finishing it. This drops my number of abandoned shows back down to 0. Posted Image

#4 of 13 OFFLINE   AnthonyC

• 2,342 posts

Posted January 08 2007 - 07:48 AM

I don't know if the artwork is an old publicity shot (most likely) but that's a fantastic cover.

#5 of 13 OFFLINE   TwoKings

Stunt Coordinator

• 87 posts

Posted January 08 2007 - 05:12 PM

I was just going to post asking about this. I can't wait to complete the series. Season 5 had a sad and empty feel to it, but still had some really good episodes. What is the “The Lost Episode” Featurette?? I assume it is not actually an unaired episode. Can someone post the cover here since I can't access it without an account?

#6 of 13 OFFLINE   Gregory V

Gregory V

Stunt Coordinator

• 203 posts

Posted January 09 2007 - 01:34 AM

This is one GREAT show. I never really paid much attention to it in its original run, but I LOVE Phil Hartman and got the series as a blind buy (it was on sale). Unlike most shows produced in the last fifteen years or so it made me laugh out loud. I am sure the fifth and last season will be sort of sad with Phil gone (much like the Petticoat Junction episodes without Bea Benaderet) but I will get it anyway. The other cast members are very funny in their own right, though I was sorry to see Khandi Alexander leave in the fourth season.

#7 of 13 OFFLINE   Roni F

Roni F

Stunt Coordinator

• 160 posts

Posted January 09 2007 - 08:42 AM

I can't wait to own this and complete the series. Kudos to Sony for not waiting a gazillion years in between releases. Season 5 is the weakest season of the show, but the first episode (where they deal with Bill's death) alone is worth owning the set. BTW, I was also really sad to see Khandi Alexander go in S4. My one complaint about the show is that they never gave her enough to do.

#8 of 13 OFFLINE   Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey

• 2,447 posts

Posted January 09 2007 - 08:44 AM

I think she was also doing ER at the same time. Maybe she didn't have the time to do too much on NR. Gord
Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#9 of 13 OFFLINE   TwoKings

Stunt Coordinator

• 87 posts

Posted January 09 2007 - 01:33 PM

From what I gathered, Khandi was upset with her role in the show and decided to leave for other opportunities.

#10 of 13 OFFLINE   Roni F

Roni F

Stunt Coordinator

• 160 posts

Posted January 09 2007 - 01:35 PM

As far as I know, doing ER at the same time didn't affect how much she could do on NewsRadio. I just looked it up, and during S2 of NR, she was in just one ER, and during S3 of NR, she was in only three eps of ER. And the next year, it looks like she was only on ER after she left NewsRadio. Anyway, what I meant by saying that Khandi was never given enough to do, is that she very rarely had her own storylines. The vast majority of the time, she'd have a line here or there, but never be at the center of the story. With the large ensemble cast that they had, I think the writers did a great job of giving each character a satisfying amount of screentime, except for Catherine. I still think it's one of the All-Time Greatest Shows Ever, but this is a noticeable flaw to me.

#11 of 13 OFFLINE   Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor

• 786 posts

Posted January 09 2007 - 03:21 PM

Yeah, Alexander was unhappy -- and rightly so -- with the small role she had. Apparently the last straw for her was in early season 4 when Lauren Graham came on as a recurring guest character (NBC spent much of the season trying to add a new regular; Graham was one of the candidates) and immediately got more to do than Alexander usually did. I missed her on the show but I don't blame her for leaving.

#12 of 13 OFFLINE   Josh LM

Josh LM

Stunt Coordinator

• 60 posts

Posted January 13 2007 - 09:36 AM

Anyone else unhappy with the changed artwork? They completely took Phil Hartman off the cover. Blasphemy!
My father wears shoes in the pool.

#13 of 13 OFFLINE   Scamp

Stunt Coordinator

• 167 posts

Posted January 15 2007 - 05:15 AM

I agree. The inclusion of Phil's portrait on the original cover was both classy and touching. Can't believe they replaced it with a picture of the skyline. Terrible!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users