Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Scariest thing I have heard/seen a receiver do. Advice?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Mark Hendrickx

Mark Hendrickx

Agent

• 26 posts

Posted January 07 2007 - 04:35 PM

Hey all, I was playing a cd in my JVC dvd changer, which is hooked up to a three-year-old Harman Kardon 430, and the craziest thing happened: the volume instantly jumped on the receiver from -45 to -5, and this deafening wall of sound materialized and scared the hell out of me as I was reading the newspaper. I think the loudest I had ever had the receiver up to was -25. I have no idea what caused it. The only variable is that this was the first time I have ever played a Dualdisc in my dvd player(Son Volt's Okemah and the Melody of Riot, which I highly recommend), but I can't see how this would have been able to impact the receiver. All of my remote controls, including the HK remote, were lying on the table within infrared view of the receiver, but I was not touching any of them. The receiver has never had any problems in three years. My blood pressure and I appreciate any advice you can give.

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley

Screenwriter

• 2,701 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted January 07 2007 - 04:43 PM

It's probably time to change the batteries in the remote. I had something similar happen, and that was the fix. Other's online have said the same thing. Try it and see............ Good luck!
Samsung HL61A750 (LED DLP)            Onkyo TX-SR805
Oppo BDP-83 Blu ray                                  Polk Audio LSi9
Polk Audio LSiC                                  Sony SS-MB100H
SVS PC12-NSD (Sub)                       ...

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Mark Hendrickx

Mark Hendrickx

Agent

• 26 posts

Posted January 07 2007 - 05:03 PM

Ed, thanks for the advice. I thought I had changed the batteries recently, but upon checking them just now, I think they may actually be the original batteries from three years ago or at best only the second pair I have had in the remote. With smoke detectors they just beep when they are low on batteries, but Harman bypasses the subtleties and punishes your procrastination by blowing you out of your chair and possibly damaging your hearing and/or your speakers. Thanks again Ed.

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Paul_Dunlop

Paul_Dunlop

Second Unit

• 318 posts

Posted January 17 2007 - 01:40 AM

wow - I had the same thing happen on my Denon 1601 about 4 yrs ago I never did figure out what happened, but maybe it was the remote batteries I used to watch TV at -30, and movies at -24 - never louder than that It went to +10 before I got ahold of the remote - it was LOUD!!!! as hell
HD DVD in the house

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Rich Allen

Rich Allen

Second Unit

• 382 posts

Posted January 17 2007 - 02:15 AM

Watch what happens when the batteries get low on a wireless mouse. Posted Image

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Mark Hendrickx

Mark Hendrickx

Agent

• 26 posts

Posted January 17 2007 - 04:29 AM

I finally was able to ask Harman this question directly, after sending an email a week ago and never receiving a reply AND also leaving a voicemail, which they promise a reply to in 24 hrs, and also never receiving a response. They told me that the sudden volume jump was probably caused by one of two things, and I would imagine this might have been the same with your Denon volume problem Paul: 1. temporary glitch in the digital signal processor if it only happens once and the problem never reoccurs 2. if the problem reoccurs, it may be a transister shortage or some other problem in volume control housing, in which case the volume assembly would have to be replaced in order to prevent it from happening again. I don't want to pay to have it repaired for no reason, so will just try to forget this ever happened, and hopefully the problem stays in the past-tense just like Paul's Denon did. The irony behind all this was that the volume spiked while I was listening to Son Volt, some of the most relaxing, laid-back music I own, not while I was listening to Metallica. Thanks again to all for your feedback.