Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

True-Life Adventures - Aspect Ratio Issue on "Secrets of Life"

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   Steven Wesley

Steven Wesley

Second Unit

• 291 posts

Posted January 07 2007 - 02:34 PM

In order to keep conversation on topic regarding the issues seen in the Walt Disney's Legacy Collection releases, I'm starting this conversation to discuss another apparent issue with the DVDs. (If you would like to talk about the color issue found on Prowlers of the Everglades, here is the place to be.)

Here's what I found for my two dates

Disc Date: 10/24/2006
File Date: 09/28/2006

Perhaps if we share our dates, we can note a pattern here regarding which version of Secrets of Life is associated with which (and hopefully provide Disney with proper information when reporting the issue).

What has your experience been when viewing this feature? Which version do you have? Posted Image

- Steve
Walt Disney Treasures - Disney DVD Inserts

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   m.cellophane

m.cellophane

Agent

• 47 posts

Posted January 07 2007 - 05:06 PM

I have the same as you: Pressing number: 310056 L1 (L5450) TL4-0N-NM1.1 Disc Date: 10/24/2006 File Date: 09/28/2006 My version remains full screen throughout. No title card disclaimer at the beginning of the feature. I pre-ordered these sets from Amazon. Thanks for posting this information.

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   TedD

TedD

Supporting Actor

• 698 posts

Posted January 08 2007 - 12:56 AM

Yep, based on the screen shots above, sure looks like Disney did a P&S on this which is absolutely wrong.

They need to correct this error, or provide us with the disc containing the letterbox version.

The transition as done on the DVD is also not faithful to the original presentation. In the original print, the transition was immediate at the changeover to the last reel. On the DVD, there is obviously more image outside the frame in the scene where the transition begins. An immediate change to enhanced 16x9 letterbox would have allowed those of us with CIH setups to recreate the original presentation. The gradual transition as it it is done in the DVD means that it is impossible to recreate the original presentation in our home theaters.

Ted

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,121 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted January 08 2007 - 01:38 AM

An immediate change to 16x9 enhanced widescreen would require that the film be split between two separate titles on the disc. This would be an annoyance to people who do not have automatic aspect ratio switching. Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   Steven Wesley

Steven Wesley

Second Unit

• 291 posts

Posted January 08 2007 - 08:25 AM

I did my duty today and called Disney (via this contact info). It took a little while to explain everything to the operator, who then routed me to a technician.

While they seemed to know more about the Prowler of the Everglades color issue, they did acknowledge that there have been reports regarding Secrets of Life. I was told that Disney has not made a determination yet if they are going to do a replacement. However, if they did, they would call back per the contact information provided when I initially contacted them.

If you are seeing this issue, please call Disney and report your problems. Let's hope they do provide for a replacement if we keep bringing up the issue.

Here are the contact numbers for your reference:

800.723.4763 U.S.
888.877.2843 Canada

Monday 9:30-7:30 p.m. / Tuesday through Friday 9:30-6:30 p.m. CST

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   TedD

TedD

Supporting Actor

• 698 posts

Posted January 09 2007 - 02:18 AM

No, it wouldn't, as the DVD player would automatically switch into letterbox mode at the change. Ted

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,121 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted January 09 2007 - 07:15 AM

That would not help someone who watches in a 16:9 mode that has to be manually selected unless they went into their DVD setup menu and chose letterbox for just this title so they could watch the climactic volcano eruption section in less than optimal resolution and then change it back for every other title they watch. That seems inconvenient to me. Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   Steven Wesley

Steven Wesley

Second Unit

• 291 posts

Posted January 18 2007 - 04:18 AM

Anyone else have any disc dates to share? I've seen the following dates on a couple forums... 10/23/2006 - Pan-and-Scan 10/24/2006 - Pan-and-Scan 10/26/2006 - Pan-and-Scan 10/28/2006 - Pan-and-Scan 10/30/2006 - Pan-and-Scan Interestingly, some who have the "correct" pressing don't even show a visible Disc Date. However, the File Date on these correct pressings seems to be later than the incorrect ones... 10/16/2006 vs. 09/28/2006 (File Date of "incorrect" version)

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   Jeff Swearingen

Jeff Swearingen

Second Unit

• 378 posts

Posted February 06 2007 - 10:55 AM

Anyone hear an update on this? I've got the P/S version also and am ticked.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users