-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Children of Men - Discussion thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
181 replies to this topic

#1 of 182 Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,638 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted December 28 2006 - 08:02 AM

CoM isn't playing anywhere near me this weekend. I have been looking forward to it for...I don't know how long. Posted Image

#2 of 182 Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,651 posts

Posted January 02 2007 - 04:12 PM

Looks like CoM opens this weekend in my city. Posted Image...can't wait to see it. As Chuck stated, earlier this fall, this one was on my got to see radar. Glad it's finally coming. Posted Image

#3 of 182 Mark Kalzer

Mark Kalzer

Second Unit

• 443 posts

Posted January 03 2007 - 11:22 AM

Saw on New Years Eve in Toronto! Was glad to take the opportunity! It has a weird 'Half Life 2' feel to it and I mean that in a good way. Has probably the best fictional battle scene I've seen in cinema thus far. Plan to see it a second time when it reaches wide release.
- Mark Kalzer

#4 of 182 Mike.P

Mike.P

Second Unit

• 289 posts

Posted January 04 2007 - 07:57 AM

This finally goes wide tomorrow! I CAN'T WAIT ANYMORE!

#5 of 182 Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma

Producer

• 5,260 posts

Posted January 05 2007 - 05:56 AM

This and soon Pan's Labrynith. Finally!
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

#6 of 182 Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,651 posts

Posted January 05 2007 - 07:19 AM

Going to the 4:25pm show today....Posted Image

#7 of 182 Greg_R

Greg_R

Screenwriter

• 1,997 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted January 05 2007 - 11:09 AM

Was this (basic) plot on a TV episode (Outer Limits maybe)? It seems very familiar to me...

#8 of 182 Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted January 05 2007 - 11:59 PM

Quote:
Was this (basic) plot on a TV episode (Outer Limits maybe)? It seems very familiar to me...

One of the best eps of the new Outer Limits was basically the same.. people could not have kids.. well, they could, but the kids would be born a soupy mess or dead or deformed. So, childbirth stopped.. so they thought.. and then one woman was about to have a normal child and there was a big fight to smuggle her out of the clutches of the government and to a rebel group whow as trying to protect her as the government wanted to continue to breed her as many times as possible. Posted Image
My Current DVD-Profiler

"I've been Ostrafied!" - Christopher, Sopranos 5/6/07

#9 of 182 Allen Hirsch

Allen Hirsch

Supporting Actor

• 532 posts

Posted January 06 2007 - 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Glover
Children of Men is a great film. Brutal as hell and tough to watch at times. Several moments, (similar to Blood Diamond)...that I would put my hand over my head and say, "My God"...but Children of Men captivated me more than BD.

I want to repeat that it's a tough film. This is not a happy film at all but does leave hope and that's all that matters. Chuck mentioned some moments in the first post that are truly poetic indeed. There were many moments that I found myself getting choked up a bit.

Considering the film's theme and unsettling mood throughout, some of the humor seems a bit displaced but I know at those moments with all that's sadly happened, the audience needs to smile some. Posted Image

The score is very effective.

One of the year's best.

9.5/10

I'll second it's a tough, brutal film - far more than I anticipated from the reviews I'd read before seeing it that called it uplifting, inspired, etc. I found the humor a helpful respite and relief from the almost non-stop dreariness and anxiety and violence. Relentless, even.

Huge props to set design - I too noticed the newspaper headlines, as just some of the incredible detail in scene after scene.

This felt a bit like "The Fugitive" set in 2007 Iraq - but it's London in 2027, if I could do the movie a disservice and come up with just a 5-second Hollywood story pitch for COM.
My DVD Collection
My CD Collection

#10 of 182 Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,651 posts

Posted January 06 2007 - 05:09 AM

You're right Allen, the more I think about the humor it really was needed. And some of it was funny. I'd like to see this again but it's so intense I think I should wait for my Prozac to get refilled Posted Image

I can look it up but does anyone know offhand who did the score?

#11 of 182 Allen Hirsch

Allen Hirsch

Supporting Actor

• 532 posts

Posted January 06 2007 - 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Glover
I can look it up but does anyone know offhand who did the score?

John Tavener - British composer of one of the pieces done at Princess Di's funeral, IIRC. (The church choir I'm in has done one or two of his pieces over the years).
My DVD Collection
My CD Collection

#12 of 182 Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,651 posts

Posted January 06 2007 - 06:37 AM

Thanks Allen. A very effective score. BTW, we both joined the HTF in January 1999. Posted Image

#13 of 182 Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,651 posts

Posted January 06 2007 - 02:44 PM

Good review Haggai.

This is one of those really rare films where an extra 30-45 minutes would have benefitted the film. Not for more gloom but a few more questions answered. This could be done without dumbing down the story IMO.

Maybe we'll get a longer cut on DVD or HD? Regardless, it's still a great film.

#14 of 182 Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted January 06 2007 - 03:03 PM

I'm not so sure if that's the reveal Chuck is talking about. The reveal that got me for some reason was:

when it was revealed it was a girl. I found that just stunning how people reacted.

That moment was stunning for how much it hit me.. and there were a lot of reasons why, but for some reason, that was great stuff.
My Current DVD-Profiler

"I've been Ostrafied!" - Christopher, Sopranos 5/6/07

#15 of 182 Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,029 posts

Posted January 06 2007 - 04:36 PM

I fear this will end up being the most overlooked movie of the year come Oscar time. It deserves to be nominated for something other than technical awards.

#16 of 182 Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 7,974 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted January 07 2007 - 01:30 AM

Haggai had it right, but I meant the entire sequence.

From the moment people noticed the baby until they "got away" was simply primal.

I wasn't as keyed on the last payoff...that was Hollywood, and I'd been expecting that for an hour Posted Image I didn't mind it, but it had been set up pretty extensively. Chris, my audience didn't even really notice that moment...but it was great nonetheless.

I do think it'll be looked over...sci-fi and action don't play well at Oscar time. At least Pan's can get some foreign film attention...in that one category.
Hey buddy...did you just see a real bright light?

#17 of 182 Haggai

Haggai

Producer

• 3,883 posts

Posted January 07 2007 - 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Mayer
I wasn't as keyed on the last payoff...that was Hollywood, and I'd been expecting that for an hour Posted Image I didn't mind it, but it had been set up pretty extensively.

Heh, I guess you're right...all those exchanges about the various silly names she had been coming up with.

#18 of 182 Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,651 posts

Posted January 07 2007 - 04:18 AM

That was a mighty poetic moment. Anyone else get a bit teary
when Theo pleads to Marichka to get on the boat. That quick moment really got me.

#19 of 182 Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,638 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted January 07 2007 - 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggai
Just got back from seeing this. Well, that really is some top-notch filmmaking, certainly in all of the action sequences. The intensity ratchets up to a really high level numerous times, and in a lot of surprising ways. I don't think the script totally holds together, though--why exactly are the rebels doing what they're doing? What's the government going to do if they catch them? I suppose some of those things are explained to some extent here and there, but I didn't really get everything in the big picture.

I think you're hitting on one of the strengths of the film: it doesn't want to get into these topics any more than it has to in order to tell the story. Why the rebels are doing what they're doing...what the government is going to do with them...it doesn't really matter in the context of Kee and Theo.

We know whatever it is the government does is not good. Whether it be a concentration camp-type environment, cages or prison...I think it's much better to be left to our imaginations than to have it deliberately pointed out.

#20 of 182 Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 7,974 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted January 07 2007 - 06:08 AM

A point of Cuarons in a recent interview is that human nature is human nature...political ideology of any variety is not a solution, merely an enabler. I don't think the film needs to go into what the rebels or "the man" are doing. They are pursuing their ideological beliefs in the face of the end of the human race. I appreciated that more nuanced look.
Hey buddy...did you just see a real bright light?

Back to Movies (Theatrical)

Forum Nav Content I Follow