What's new

Holding out: News or Rumors About SEs of the Following? (1 Viewer)

Brandon.B

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brandon.B
There are a number of DVD titles I've really wanted to pick up, but have not due to waiting for something better to come along, some nice Special Editions or at least something "better". Some of which I’m shocked we haven’t seen yet. Such DVDs I've been holding out on, are the following:

Beetlejuice
Dick Tracy
Hook
Kindergarten Cop
Hocus Pocus
Troll
Mrs Doubtfire
Romy and Michele's High School Reunion
X3 Last Stand (2-disc?)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: The Secret of the Ooze
Disney’s Beauty and the Beast (missed it the first time)
The Witches (Angelica Huston)
True Lies
What About Bob?
The Birdcage

I haven't been on top following all too much in news. So, has there been any news or rumors regarding any of these titles getting new releases?

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
None that I'm aware of but, please, pencil me in for:

Hook
Mrs Doubtfire
X3 Last Stand (2-disc?)
True Lies
What About Bob?

...and, dammit, throw in The Ref while we're at it.

Bo_Darville

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bo
there IS a recent SE mrs. doubtfire. search and ye shall find.

(edit to read: or maybe not. upon further review, it may have just been a re-package)

+1 on kindergarten cop (1.33:1 ftl)

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II

If you're multi-region capable, there's a 2-Disc NTSC version of X-MEN: The Last Stand available from Hong Kong though DDDHouse.com. (I think it's Region 0 and not Region 3.) And NO, it sure as hell ISN'T a bootleg!

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Unless Fox wants to hold out for the Wolverine movie (which they might do!), I'm thinking they'll release a Special Edition of X3 this spring if the Mr. & Mrs. Smith example is to be followed.

I wouldn't expect Beauty and the Beast soon. They still haven't reissued Snow White. I think they used to be on a 10 year rotation schedule, but I think this got changed when they realized HD would factor into things.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

Considering how phenomenal the cast was, sure, a cast commentary would be great. Be sure to throw Denis Leary in there, as this is his greatest film. But really, let's be honest; I'd sell my left nad just to get an anamorphic release, extra features or not.

John Kwong

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JK
Please add The Game (David Fincher) to this list :)
I'm also surprised that there is no True Lies SE.

mike kaminski

Second Unit
Real Name
mike kaminski
There was supposed to be a Fox five-star True Lies disk years ago. Then i remember reading an interview where it was said that True Lies SE would be worked on once Cameron had done his Titanic SE. Don't know whats going on with it now. Beetlejuice i have heard is in the planning stages as well for a special edition.

Speaking of The Game, is it true that there is some kind of non-R1 special edition out there?

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Yes, there is (see here). The extras are decidedly lackluster though. That's why I never bought it in the hope there'll be a better R1 version down the road.

John Kwong

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JK

Hmmm ... very tempting, especially since it's anamorphic and has an audio commentary from David Fincher.

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member
Would love to see a SE of Beetlejuice, Dick Tracy and Hook.

With the new Turtles movie coming out in March, I'm really crossing my fingers that New Line announces a new DVD for the 1990 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie.

Also, didn't WB announce a new SE of Poltergeist for this new year. Would pick that up in a second.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I just noticed this title. That's what I get for scanning it too quickly.

Definately needs a new release in widescreen with some extras about the cast. Plus bits about Jim Henson, the director and the writer. All three of those have done a thing or 2 besides this film. ;)

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor

Agreed. I'm a new HDTV owner and I'd love to get this anamorphic. I've got a collection of about 800 movies and only 16 are non-anamorphic. And of those, only 4 currently have an anamorphic version available in R1. This one is one of the remaining 12 and that's just not right.

Some of the other 12 I'd like to set get a new version just to get them anamorphic are:

The Abyss
Fistful of Dollars
For a Few Dollars More
Raising Arizona - This one is way overdue!

I can live with the rest being non-anamorphic.

I'd also love to see a special edition (proper OAR) of:

My Fellow Americans

David_P

Stunt Coordinator
Ones I'd buy for sure (for OAR, anamorphic transfer, let alone any special features);

The Abyss
True Lies
The Game
Mrs Doubtfire
Kindergarten Cop (1.33:1)
Twins (Devito, 1.33:1)
Emma (Paltrow)
Armageddon
Outland
Mr Holland's Opus
Short Time (never released on DVD for R1)
48 Hours
The Hand that rocks the Cradle
Time Cop (1.33)
Commando
The Adventures of Baron Munchausen
Judge Dredd
Grumpy/Grumpier Old Men (1.33)
No Escape
Ransom (still non-anamorphic)
The Shadow
The Shining (1.33, and no I don't think that's OAR)
Coming to America
Spies Like Us (1.33)

David

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks