Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Fantasy Island - First Season

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   BradD

BradD

Stunt Coordinator

• 126 posts

Posted January 06 2007 - 10:41 AM

I haven't seen much feedback on this set here. How do the episodes look? Anything altered?

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   BradD

BradD

Stunt Coordinator

• 126 posts

Posted January 08 2007 - 08:50 AM

Well, I guess the lack of responses says it all. Looks like this series will be incomplete on dvd.

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,382 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted January 08 2007 - 09:11 AM

"Chalk up 1 response" Posted Image

I've only viewed 4 eps in this set (I have many TV/DVD sets "in progress"). There are 2 Extras but I haven't viewed them yet:

1) Featurette: "Creating the Fantasy"
2) " "Spending the Day at Fantasy Island"

Xfrs: Strange about this set, the 1st pilot ep, "Fantasy Island" (1977) is crystal-clear and top-notch but the 2nd pilot "Return to Fantasy Island" is poor. I don't know if Sony didn't have access to, or if the original print/elements are no longer in existance, but I'd grade the 2nd pilot xfr as at C- or D+ . It's watchable but a big difference between the 1st pilot quality. The other 2 series eps that I've viewed are B+ to A- , comparable to other TV/DVD sets of the same time period.

As for a real Fantasy Island, how's this? Travel to an island where you can order ANY TV/DVD complete series, or individual season's set (complete/uncut, of course) from the studio[s] and leave the island the next day with your purchase Posted Image And, that's why it's a fantasy Posted Image

ml1fyo.jpg  "Checkmate King Two, 'Out'" "Combat! A Selmur Production"

TV/DVD Collector, mainly 50's thru 90's with a few 2000+ shows.
My 2 all-time favorite TV shows:
"Combat!" & "The Fugitive"
My 2 all-time best blind-buys: "The Fugitive"   "The Donna Reed Show"

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   Aryn Leroux

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter

• 1,516 posts

Posted January 08 2007 - 02:31 PM

I enjoyed the set immensely and have my fingers crossed that more seasons are released.

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,049 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted January 17 2009 - 02:38 AM

I'm hoping the same; I just bought Season 1 this week.. of course, it came to mind, and was a good deal. But I'd love to see other seasons on DVD also.. here's keeping my fingers crossed.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   Scamp

Scamp

Stunt Coordinator

• 156 posts

Posted January 18 2009 - 02:14 AM

Yep, I'm definitely hoping we see Sony continue this series. I devoured the first season and its bonus features and am eagerly awaiting to see the rest released.

Sometimes I wish studios would just release complete series sets from the get-go so we wouldn't have to wait and worry if we'll see the entire show released or not. If it sells well, then they can go back and release the seasons individually for those that wish to break up the cost or only own certain seasons.

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,365 posts

Posted November 29 2009 - 08:08 PM

i love fantasy island and have the first season on dvd and hoped that we would see more of this released. However, i believe it is stall series now, especially with the track record of Sony. It would be nice is Sony would just outource and/or sign a deal with shout factory to produce shows for them. It may be also something the moderator of this site could do around schedule webinar with Sony around the future plans.

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   bretmaverick2

bretmaverick2

Second Unit

• 443 posts

Posted November 30 2009 - 12:03 PM

I remember watching and liking Fantasy Island  a lot more than I liked Love Boat growing up. 

I further remember that the first pilot film for FI seemed to be a lot darker in tone than the series turned out to be.  But I still liked the show.

I think the darker, edgier style was a reason that I really enjoyed the FI revival a  few years ago.    Now THAT is a DVD set I would pick up....

#9 of 10 ONLINE   The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man

Screenwriter

• 1,252 posts
  • LocationTruth or Consequences, New Mexico

Posted November 30 2009 - 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretmaverick2 

I remember watching and liking Fantasy Island  a lot more than I liked Love Boat growing up. 

I further remember that the first pilot film for FI seemed to be a lot darker in tone than the series turned out to be.  But I still liked the show.

I think the darker, edgier style was a reason that I really enjoyed the FI revival a  few years ago.    Now THAT is a DVD set I would pick up....
Same here. The '98 Malcolm McDowell Fantasy Island is the one I'd like to see before anything else. That was a show that didn't get a fair enough shake, IMO. IIRC, it was stuck on Saturday night, which was the worst place for it. The audience that the '98 FI was going for probably wouldn't have been home from 8-10 on a Saturday.

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,365 posts

Posted July 18 2010 - 11:55 PM

I think i read some where that S1 of Fantasy Island had poor sales. So, i am hoping that maybe too the discussions to re-start again around pushing for S2 season released.