Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Hook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   Brandon.B

Brandon.B

Stunt Coordinator

• 125 posts

Posted January 04 2007 - 08:28 AM

I've been wanting to pick this up on DVD for a while, but this among some other releases, I've been holing out on due to a possible better release. Has anyone heard anything about a new edition? Or is it better to pick up the current version and not wait for something?

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Beau

Beau

Supporting Actor

• 503 posts

Posted January 04 2007 - 09:48 AM

I've been waiting on this one aswell. I havent heard a single word of a new edition anywhere. I've been thinking about caving in and picking up the current one. I'm sure I could find it for under 10 bucks, so it won't break my heart double-dipping if an SE ever gets released. Though I think there's already 2 versions out, one regular and one superbit. Anyone know if the superbit's A/V is better enough to bother looking for it rather than the regular DVD?

This is one of my favorite movies from my childhood. It breaks my heart everytime I read negative comments about it on various web-sites. I've watched it occasionally in recent years and it's always as good as I remember it when I was a kid. BANGERANG!

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,265 posts

Posted January 04 2007 - 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau
I've been waiting on this one aswell. I havent heard a single word of a new edition anywhere. I've been thinking about caving in and picking up the current one. I'm sure I could find it for under 10 bucks, so it won't break my heart double-dipping if an SE ever gets released. Though I think there's already 2 versions out, one regular and one superbit. Anyone know if the superbit's A/V is better enough to bother looking for it rather than the regular DVD?

I don't think it's better. The original already optimized bitspace - it was a barebones release - so it's not like the SB took advantage of that. If anything, its bits would be more crowded due to the DTS track.

Here's my SB review:

http://www.dvdmg.com...ksuperbit.shtml
Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,173 posts

Posted January 04 2007 - 10:44 AM

I assume the Superbit is OOP correct?

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,908 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted January 04 2007 - 10:55 AM

I saw Hook as an adult and I can say it's the lost boys portions that slightly railroads things for a while. Blaaah! But the rest is quite good. Some terrific sets. I actually like Roberts as Tinkerbell. Hoffman is superb as Hook and Robin Williams believable as a former lost boy grown up.

My guess is that the current DVD is a worthy purchase since it's so darn cheap. The SB is oop but there's some available NEW from amazon.com's marketplace for about $25.

Slighty OT: What do you think of the recent Peter Pan live action film? Personally I love it! 10/10 all the way. While Hook is a 7/10.
Silly Party Candidate: Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   TonyDale

TonyDale

Second Unit

• 297 posts

Posted January 04 2007 - 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman970

Slighty OT: What do you think of the recent Peter Pan live action film? Personally I love it! 10/10 all the way. While Hook is a 7/10.

Personally - I agree with you one hundred percent! It's the Pan film that I keep returning to over and over again. It also makes a great double bill with FINDING NEVERLAND.
We are just surrealist pilgrims, melting clocks in marble halls. . .

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,265 posts

Posted January 04 2007 - 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman970
My guess is that the current DVD is a worthy purchase since it's so darn cheap. The SB is oop but there's some available NEW from amazon.com's marketplace for about $25.

I REALLY think that's a waste of money. As I mentioned, the SB doesn't allocate any more bitspace for the movie than does the original. I don't think there's any difference between the two, though the SB's cover looks cooler!
Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   Kramer Lowry

Kramer Lowry

Second Unit

• 389 posts

Posted January 04 2007 - 03:07 PM

Posted Image

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,908 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted January 04 2007 - 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDale
Personally - I agree with you one hundred percent! It's the Pan film that I keep returning to over and over again. It also makes a great double bill with FINDING NEVERLAND.
I keep forgetting to borrow Finding Neverland from my mom. She has it so I don't put it in my cue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Jacobson
I REALLY think that's a waste of money. As I mentioned, the SB doesn't allocate any more bitspace for the movie than does the original. I don't think there's any difference between the two, though the SB's cover looks cooler!
That's odd. Superbit is just a sham on that one. I only own one, Panic Room. I felt the darn scene were benefitting although I didn't have the means to compare the 2 versions. I guess it's the name you're paying for. Kind of like Criterion.
Silly Party Candidate: Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow