Jump to content



Sign up for a free account!

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

HDMI 1.3 Receivers?


This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
41 replies to this topic

#1 of 42 Chris Huber

Chris Huber

    Second Unit

  • 416 posts
  • Join Date: Jan 02 2003

Posted January 04 2007 - 06:06 AM

I am looking for when Pioneer will release their version of the 1016 (maybe 1017) that will have HDMI 1.3. Anybody know?

Also, now I have
-53" widescreen Panny HDMI 1.1 TV
-Sony Upconvert DVD player via HDMI in to TV
-Pioneer 811S Receiver using optical audio in

Am I right in thinking I can purchase a new 1.3 receiver and have it be the "hub" for HDMI connections coming from DVD player, HD Cable and others? Their signal would go in to receiver and one HDMI out to the TV that is 1.1? In this the only thing that should be going to the TV is the 1080i picture. The audio would then be the new HD Dolby/DTS into the receiver?

#2 of 42 Alon Goldberg

Alon Goldberg

    Screenwriter

  • 1,131 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 10 2006

Posted January 04 2007 - 08:31 AM

All major brands including Pioneer will be announcing HDMI 1.3 receivers next week at CES, but for now things are mostly hush hush Posted Image

#3 of 42 John Alvarez

John Alvarez

    Screenwriter

  • 1,129 posts
  • Join Date: Sep 03 2004

Posted January 04 2007 - 10:05 PM

What is HD Dolby?

#4 of 42 Chris Huber

Chris Huber

    Second Unit

  • 416 posts
  • Join Date: Jan 02 2003

Posted January 05 2007 - 04:23 AM

High Definition Dolby. Or whatever is called, you know what I mean.
http://www.dolby.com/promo/HD/


Anyway, will my above scenario for hookup work ok?

#5 of 42 Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey

    Producer

  • 4,952 posts
  • Join Date: Mar 13 1999

Posted January 05 2007 - 06:57 AM

Any particular reason you want HDMI 1.3? You didn't list an HD DVD player, although that's the only thing that uses TrueHD. And you needn't wait for HDMI 1.3 for anything, the HD DVD player does the decoding of True HD and sends it as LPCM digital to a receiver with (at least) HDMI 1.1. There's no advantage to sending the encoded stream to a capable receiver (even if there were any), it actually works better the first way.
SVS Customer Service
http://www.svsound.com
sales@svsound.com
techsupport@svsound.com

#6 of 42 serrada

serrada

    Auditioning

  • 5 posts
  • Join Date: Jan 08 2007

Posted January 08 2007 - 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alon Goldberg
All major brands including Pioneer will be announcing HDMI 1.3 receivers next week at CES, but for now things are mostly hush hush Posted Image

How long after the CES do you think the new receivers will be available?

#7 of 42 Alon Goldberg

Alon Goldberg

    Screenwriter

  • 1,131 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 10 2006

Posted January 08 2007 - 03:57 AM

Early Spring would be my best guess... April/May?

More details to be released this week at CES of course!

#8 of 42 FeisalK

FeisalK

    Screenwriter

  • 1,245 posts
  • Join Date: May 01 2003

Posted January 08 2007 - 05:44 AM

Pioneer announcement (engadget)

From reading various threads on AVS forum, I've come to the conclusion that HDMI1.3 is probably irrelevant. Of course consumers will want (and pay for) the latest spec, but it'll actually be doing nothing significant over HDMI1.2a

The only thing about 2007 receivers is they will hopefully have sorted out the silliness about some receivers with HDMI not amplifying multichannel LPCM over HDMI (passthrough audio, WTF), and properly doing the BM etc.
>
DVD-A registry for hirez/surround audio
Bluray, DVD-Audio, DAD/HDAD, DualDisc, MVI

#9 of 42 4VTHOKIES

4VTHOKIES

    Agent

  • 39 posts
  • Join Date: Sep 12 2006

Posted January 08 2007 - 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gilvey
Any particular reason you want HDMI 1.3? You didn't list an HD DVD player, although that's the only thing that uses TrueHD. And you needn't wait for HDMI 1.3 for anything, the HD DVD player does the decoding of True HD and sends it as LPCM digital to a receiver with (at least) HDMI 1.1. There's no advantage to sending the encoded stream to a capable receiver (even if there were any), it actually works better the first way.

So true, so true even when the new receivers/pre/pros come out with HDMI 1.3 and they incorporate the new uncompressed audio codecs the player will still do the decoding. That is part of the deal with HDMI licensing. So by buying an HDMI 1.3 receiver that handles the new audio codecs will in all essence be a waste of funds when 1.1 or 1.2 will work just fine. Just make sure your HD DVD or Blu-Ray player can output the new audio.

#10 of 42 Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey

    Producer

  • 4,952 posts
  • Join Date: Mar 13 1999

Posted January 08 2007 - 03:32 PM

Quote:
From reading various threads on AVS forum, I've come to the conclusion that HDMI1.3 is probably irrelevant. Of course consumers will want (and pay for) the latest spec, but it'll actually be doing nothing significant over HDMI1.2a
Or even 1.1 for that matter, as Ted points out above.
SVS Customer Service
http://www.svsound.com
sales@svsound.com
techsupport@svsound.com

#11 of 42 ndb1970

ndb1970

    Auditioning

  • 5 posts
  • Join Date: Jan 08 2007

Posted January 08 2007 - 05:03 PM

hi everyone Posted Image - a new member to the site, I am in the process of buying a complete system (sony 46w2000, denon 2930, B&W mt-30 or kef 3005, pioneer, denon or yamaha amp which outputs 1080p, sky hd and also a ps3 when its released in March) and have been doing some investigating before spending my hard earned cash! I have been reading some threads which clearly state a big improvement audio and colour wise when hdmi1.3 is released but in order to get these benefits the whole system including screen must have an hdmi1.3 connection. I already hdmi1.3 will future proof the system for a couple of years at least. On reflection, I thought it was better to wait before spending £6k as it seems that after the release of PS3 a lot of kit will be released with HDMI1.3 and denon and a few others have already stated all of their receivers for 07 will be released with hdmi 1.3. As I misusing something because from reading the posts it seems to get the benefits of hdmi 1.3 only the DVD or BD player needs to output 1.3 and not the amp or the tv? Is thats correct, why do the screens and amps need to have 1.3? Please help!

#12 of 42 FeisalK

FeisalK

    Screenwriter

  • 1,245 posts
  • Join Date: May 01 2003

Posted January 08 2007 - 09:07 PM

HDMI versions are backwards compatible, and the best is to have all of the same versions. A HDMI 1.3 output will not be fully utilized if the input on the receiver is HDMI1.1 or 1.2 - it will still pass multichannel LPCM audio and video up to the capabilities of the lower version numbers.

So even if your PS3 can output - for example - TrueHD on its HDMI 1.3, a 1.2 receiver won't be able to get it, but if the PS3 outputs a multichannel PCM stream it will accept it
>
DVD-A registry for hirez/surround audio
Bluray, DVD-Audio, DAD/HDAD, DualDisc, MVI

#13 of 42 ndb1970

ndb1970

    Auditioning

  • 5 posts
  • Join Date: Jan 08 2007

Posted January 09 2007 - 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeisalK
HDMI versions are backwards compatible, and the best is to have all of the same versions. A HDMI 1.3 output will not be fully utilized if the input on the receiver is HDMI1.1 or 1.2 - it will still pass multichannel LPCM audio and video up to the capabilities of the lower version numbers.

So even if your PS3 can output - for example - TrueHD on its HDMI 1.3, a 1.2 receiver won't be able to get it, but if the PS3 outputs a multichannel PCM stream it will accept it

Thanks for the reply Feisel, so it is correct that to get the full benefits of HDMI such as improved colour definition and the benefits of sound such as TrueHD...I need HDMI output/connections on everything?

I presume by backwards compatible, in novice terms (which I am!), this means the set up will work if say for instance the TV only has hdmi1.2 but only then on the basis of hdmi1.2 for everything?

If you were gonna spend around $10,000+ on a complete system from scratch, would you wait for hdmi1.3 products?

#14 of 42 Steven Burke

Steven Burke

    Extra

  • 24 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 05 2004

Posted January 09 2007 - 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Huber
I am looking for when Pioneer will release their version of the 1016 (maybe 1017) that will have HDMI 1.3. Anybody know?

Also, now I have
-53" widescreen Panny HDMI 1.1 TV
-Sony Upconvert DVD player via HDMI in to TV
-Pioneer 811S Receiver using optical audio in

Am I right in thinking I can purchase a new 1.3 receiver and have it be the "hub" for HDMI connections coming from DVD player, HD Cable and others? Their signal would go in to receiver and one HDMI out to the TV that is 1.1? In this the only thing that should be going to the TV is the 1080i picture. The audio would then be the new HD Dolby/DTS into the receiver?
The new Pioneer line will not have HDMI 1.3 nor will it support audio through HDMI, which is a big upset to me.
There is no announcement about the Elite line yet.
IN March the PS3 should get a DTS-MA encoding firmware update - then you need only look for an HDMI 1.1 receiver for audio as the PS3 will decode both TrueHD and DTS-MA for you and output it as PCM.

This HDMI 1.3 receiver looks sweet - 4 HDMI 1.3 inputs and one output.

Quote:
Sherwood Newcastle R-972 HDMI 1.3 Receiver
MSRP: $1499
Sherwood revamped their entire line of A/V receivers and displayed them at CES. Not only did they acclimate into the 21st century with their first HDMI enabled receivers but they went above and beyond the status quo by incorporating new features not currently available on the market.
Some of the most noted features include:

HDMI 1.3
Video Scaling to 1080p
Converts HDMI video to analog
GUI OSD
DTS Master Audio HD
Dolby TruHD
RF Remote Control
Automatic Audio Set-up
Audyssey MultEQ XT
RS-232 Control / Upgrade
Multi Source, Multi Zone
A/V Sync Delay by Input
XM Connect & Play
Installer Memory
Built in bi-amp capability

The R-972 boasts 100 wpc x 7 and is powered by TI DA-710 & 708 bit DSPs. Want flexible bass management? No problem, Sherwood includes a quadruple independent crossover scheme.


#15 of 42 Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey

    Producer

  • 4,952 posts
  • Join Date: Mar 13 1999

Posted January 09 2007 - 03:03 AM

Quote:
so it is correct that to get the full benefits of HDMI such as improved colour definition and the benefits of sound such as TrueHD...I need HDMI output/connections on everything?
You can get TrueHD, etc., with current players and HDMI 1.1 receivers. HDMI 1.3 offers the potential of better color (yes, with everything in the chain 1.3), but it's just a pipeline, and you need a source for that better color. HD DVD and BD don't support it, but some games and PC's might.

Quote:
The new Pioneer line will not have HDMI 1.3 nor will it support audio through HDMI, which is a big upset to me.
Decoding in the receiver will be mostly superfluous as most discs (Advanced Content) will require decoding in the player, but how can it not support audio through HDMI? Do you mean the endecoded bitstreams, or LPCM?
SVS Customer Service
http://www.svsound.com
sales@svsound.com
techsupport@svsound.com

#16 of 42 jimdelgatto

jimdelgatto

    Auditioning

  • 2 posts
  • Join Date: Jan 04 2007

Posted January 09 2007 - 03:21 AM

i just have a hdmi output....will that still give me a better picture and sound

#17 of 42 Chris Huber

Chris Huber

    Second Unit

  • 416 posts
  • Join Date: Jan 02 2003

Posted January 09 2007 - 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gilvey
Any particular reason you want HDMI 1.3? You didn't list an HD DVD player, although that's the only thing that uses TrueHD. And you needn't wait for HDMI 1.3 for anything, the HD DVD player does the decoding of True HD and sends it as LPCM digital to a receiver with (at least) HDMI 1.1. There's no advantage to sending the encoded stream to a capable receiver (even if there were any), it actually works better the first way.


I just know it's the latest thing. When I upgrade, I want to know it'll be good for a while. Plus, I am interested in getting all i can out of sound...

So, you guys are saying that I can get Dolby TrueHD/DTS-HD with hdmi 1.1 receiver?

#18 of 42 Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey

    Producer

  • 4,952 posts
  • Join Date: Mar 13 1999

Posted January 09 2007 - 03:50 AM

Quote:
I just know it's the latest thing.
I suspect that is by far the biggest reason for interest in 1.3. Specifics are rarely discussed.

Quote:
When I upgrade, I want to know it'll be good for a while. Plus, I am interested in getting all i can out of sound...
So, you guys are saying that I can get Dolby TrueHD/DTS-HD with hdmi 1.1 receiver?
Yes, the players have the decoders (not many have DTS-HD yet)and send the audio out as LPCM over HDMI to a 1.1 receiver that can accept it. Even a Panasonic XR57 can do this.
It's generally assumed that a receiver needs to be able to decode, like we've had for a decade with DD/DTS, but this works somewhat differently.
I'm sure the 1.3 receivers will be fantastic in many ways, not a knock on them, but you can get the full quality of lossless audio formats now without 1.3.
SVS Customer Service
http://www.svsound.com
sales@svsound.com
techsupport@svsound.com

#19 of 42 dany

dany

    Supporting Actor

  • 694 posts
  • Join Date: Jan 04 2005

Posted January 09 2007 - 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Huber
I just know it's the latest thing. When I upgrade, I want to know it'll be good for a while. Plus, I am interested in getting all i can out of sound...

So, you guys are saying that I can get Dolby TrueHD/DTS-HD with hdmi 1.1 receiver?

No electronic will be good for awhile unless you mean for a year or two.
Get In My Belly.

#20 of 42 ndb1970

ndb1970

    Auditioning

  • 5 posts
  • Join Date: Jan 08 2007

Posted January 09 2007 - 04:08 AM

hello guys, thanks for all the information, do you think its better to wait for a while before buying a complete system? I think I would prefer to get KIT with hdmi1.3 if there are any benefits which I am still confused as to whether there are. I thought that HDMI1.3 will be an improvement and all of the outputs must have 1.3 to get the benfits otherwise it will still work but will then just output on 1.2a or 1.1 etc?


Back to Receivers/Separates/Amps



Forum Nav Content I Follow