Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

New with questions

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   LITE SPD

LITE SPD

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted January 03 2007 - 06:48 AM

Hello, new to the forum and I have a few questions if you don't mind me asking.

Question #1

I live in an apartment complex that provides us with digital cable TV. I have no cable box in my apartment or any cards. Apparently the cable company doesn't provide us with a HD signal or box. Just the digital cable coming out of the wall. Is there a way to upscale or upconvert this signal to HD myself? I have a upconverting DVD player and 1080p DLP TV. BTW, the cable coming out of the wall is just a single coaxial cable. I know about HD antennas, but I was wondering if there is such thing as a adapter for this or something.

Question #2

Will this setup work cable (connections)?

-Upconverting DVD player with HMDI to TV
-PS3 with HDMI to TV
-Cable TV (coaxial) coming from wall to TV
-Digital optical cable from TV to 5.1 receiver

Thanks!

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley

Screenwriter

• 2,701 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted January 03 2007 - 07:55 AM

Sounds like the setup should work ok....

I don't think you have "Digital Cable". Digital Cable is like satellite, as far as requiring a box, to decode it. TVs don't normally decode digital cable or satellite signals. Of course, I could be wrong, as another has been so quick to let me know before.

Your HDTV must have a built in HD tuner (for local channels in HD), since you have an optical output?
Does it decode digital cable? Can your tv get channels that go up into the 200 and 300 numbers? I would ask the cable company for a digital cable box, if you can't get the channels in the higher numbers or cable HD channels (HDnet, DiscoveryHD, ESPN HD, etc.). It may cost a little more for the box. I'm on Time Warner, and it's $10 a month more, to have digital cable (including a box). If I had an HDTV, HD channels would be free, since I'm already a digital cable subscriber...............
Good luck!
Samsung HL61A750 (LED DLP)            Onkyo TX-SR805
Oppo BDP-83 Blu ray                                  Polk Audio LSi9
Polk Audio LSiC                                  Sony SS-MB100H
SVS PC12-NSD (Sub)                       ...

#3 of 12 OFFLINE   Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh

Producer

• 5,183 posts

Posted January 03 2007 - 02:32 PM

Hi Fisnik. Welcome to HTF!

Your television already does the up-convert of standard-def signals for it's 1080p display. If you have the Samsung unit with the Farajuda chip - you have the best up-conversion possible.

But standard def is a 1940's video signal designed for a 9-inch black-and-white signal. Even the $15,000 up-scaler/converter wont really make this signal look good.

As Ed says: you must get a source of HD material. Call your cable company.

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   Nick:G

Nick:G

Stunt Coordinator

• 200 posts

Posted January 03 2007 - 06:02 PM

Depending on the cable company, digital channels can also be passed without an actual converter box (but this doesn't necessarily mean that they are HD).

A buddy of mine that I work with has basic cable service from Cox (no converter) and he's able to tune in HD local channels. But this does require that your TV has an ATSC tuner (most new TVs do).

#5 of 12 OFFLINE   Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,530 posts

Posted January 04 2007 - 02:52 AM

If you have a QAM tuner (HD Cable tuner, just an ATSC tuner won't do it) built into the set, you can try to get some HD off the bare cable from the wall. It all depends on the cable company, but some do local HD (and a few SD digital channels) without scrambling. I have Comcast in Boston and get all my local HD, plus 4 or 5 digital channels from my bare cable. The other option is to get a Cable Card (if your tv supports the QAM tuner and cable card).

List your TV brand/model, your cable company and your general location. We'll try to tell you if your TV is HD cable ready and if you can get a cable card.

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley

Screenwriter

• 2,701 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted January 04 2007 - 05:09 AM

Wonder why, after this long, the original poster hasn't posted back?
You'd think he'd say something..........

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   LITE SPD

LITE SPD

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted January 04 2007 - 07:31 AM

Sorry I haven't posted back, I just wanted to get as many answers as I could.

The TV is a Samsung 50 inch DLP with 1080p HL-S5087. The apartment manager has told me that I have digital cable but no HD is available to me. The cable companies name is Bloom Broadband. I live in Wisconsin if that helps.

#8 of 12 OFFLINE   Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley

Screenwriter

• 2,701 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted January 04 2007 - 07:57 AM

Good to see you're still here. Some posters have been known to post a question, and never hear from them again............ Posted Image

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   LITE SPD

LITE SPD

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted January 04 2007 - 08:24 AM

Whats crazy is that I visited the Bloom Broadband website and this is what I get:

bloombroadband.com

No phone # or e-mail address???? Posted Image

Doesn't someone make an adapter or converter that will convert any digital cable to HD?

#10 of 12 OFFLINE   Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,530 posts

Posted January 04 2007 - 09:30 AM

Ok, unfortunately that set only has an analog cable tuner. So to get a HD signal you have to either (1) Get a set top HD box from the cable company or (2) Get HD OTA (over the air) using an antenna.

Looking at the Bloom site . . . errrm page, I see no mention of HD, just digital cable. Digital cable is not HD, it's just analog that is digitized for compression over the cable line (so they can squeeze in more channels). So I guess you are stuck with (2) from above, unless you can switch cable companies. But who knows, that site is not very descriptive and they might have gotten HD in the 6 years since they last changed it. Posted Image

#11 of 12 OFFLINE   LITE SPD

LITE SPD

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted January 04 2007 - 10:13 AM

Thanks for getting me to the bottom of the rabbit hole. Guess I have to tuff it out for a while.

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh

Producer

• 5,183 posts

Posted January 04 2007 - 03:11 PM

Ok, you really dont have to suffer.

Congress passed an act that says apartment complex's cannot offer you only 1 choice for television. You have the right to put up a small, sat dish. Both DirectTV and DishNetwork offer HD video packages.

Your apartment manager may not like it, but he cannot legally stop you from purchasing & using these services.