What's new

True-Life Adventures - Color Issue on "Prowler of the Everglades" (1 Viewer)

Steven Wesley

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Being a fan of the Walt Disney Treasures series, I was very curious to see what the Walt Disney's Legacy Collection was going to be all about. For the most part, I've been very happy with the restoration and features that have been included in the initial 4 volumes of the first wave, all of which include True-Life Adventures films.

However, upon viewing a segment last night, I noticed an apparent issue with color during Prowlers of the Everglades (found on Volume 1: Wonders of the World, Disc 1). This issue has been previously noted elsewhere, namely here, here, and here by folks on the UltimateDisney.com forums. I have not seen it mentioned in the reviews I've read, expect for this reference mentioning "its colors are especially dull and washed out."

The issue pertains to proper color being used in this DVD presentation of the film. Some have noted that perhaps the color channels had been switched, resulting in improper presentation. Everything seems a bit... off. I noted the same experience on 3 different DVD players with my copy. Also, given that the other titles on the disc seem to play correctly, one would assume that this might be a disc authoring issue rather than simply old film elements or something related to restoration artifacts.

I was hoping to get some feedback from others who have this DVD to confirm or deny the issue, since folks here in HTF know a ton more than myself when it comes to this stuff, and I don't claim to be an expert -- just a concerned customer. If anyone can provide some insight as to what might be going on here, that would be appreciated. I'm trying not to get too bent out of shape regarding this, but on the surface this would appear to be a major error.

Since I don't have the source elements to view, the best basis I have to go on is actually using comparison elements from the same Legacy Collection series of discs. Clips from Prowlers of the Everglades were included in the "Filmmaker's Journal" bonus features segment on Volume 1, Disc 2. I'm not sure if these clips were restored or not (it appears that there might be a mix of good/bad color elements here). However, I was able to find a shot featured in the bonus features that I matched with the film version.

Take a look at the color issue below:

Volume 1, Disc 2 - "Filmmakers's Journal" segment (0:07:15)
(Click to enlarge)

Volume 1, Disc 1 - Film (0:15:43)
(Click to enlarge)

Another shot from the same bonus feature seems to have correct color:

Volume 1, Disc 2 - "Filmmakers's Journal" segment (0:07:20)
(Click to enlarge)

There are also some segments from Prowlers of the Everglades included in the "Filmmakers's Journal" bonus feature on Volume 4, Disc 2. Again, it appears that the color is correct in these clips.

Volume 4, Disc 2 - "Filmmakers's Journal" segment (0:08:56)
(Click to enlarge)

Finally, for reference and discussion, I've included various screenshots from Prowlers of the Everglades film. Below that are some screenshots from Water Birds, also on the same disc, to show similar water-oriented scenes with seemingly correct color treatment.

Am I crazy? Or is there something here that just doesn't seem right. :)

- Steve

==============

Screenshots from Prowlers of the Everglades
(Color seems to be incorrect)

"Prowlers of the Everglades" Film (0:00:04)
(Click to enlarge)

"Prowlers of the Everglades" Film (0:00:10)
(Click to enlarge)

"Prowlers of the Everglades" Film (0:00:17)
(Click to enlarge)

"Prowlers of the Everglades" Film (0:00:23)
(Click to enlarge)

"Prowlers of the Everglades" Film (0:00:29)
(Click to enlarge)

"Prowlers of the Everglades" Film (0:01:04)
(Click to enlarge)

"Prowlers of the Everglades" Film (0:04:13)
(Click to enlarge)

"Prowlers of the Everglades" Film (0:05:00)
(Click to enlarge)

"Prowlers of the Everglades" Film (0:10:42)
(Click to enlarge)

"Prowlers of the Everglades" Film (0:13:11)
(Click to enlarge)

"Prowlers of the Everglades" Film (0:31:17)
(Click to enlarge)

"Prowlers of the Everglades" Film (0:31:24)
(Click to enlarge)

"Prowlers of the Everglades" Film (0:31:54)
(Click to enlarge)

==============

Screenshots from Water Birds
(Color appears correct)

"Water Birds" Film (0:00:03)
(Click to enlarge)

"Water Birds" Film (0:00:10)
(Click to enlarge)

"Water Birds" Film (0:00:16)
(Click to enlarge)

"Water Birds" Film (0:00:20)
(Click to enlarge)

"Water Birds" Film (0:00:26)
(Click to enlarge)

"Water Birds" Film (0:01:17)
(Click to enlarge)

"Water Birds" Film (0:06:30)
(Click to enlarge)

"Water Birds" Film (0:14:32)
(Click to enlarge)

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
Well, I took 4 of the pics Steven posted and switched the red and blue channels in Photoshop - and here are the results. Seems someone at Disney got them reversed, wouldn't you say? I doubt Disney will do anything about the release, though I hope they properly update/label their masters accordingly.

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

John Whittle

Stunt Coordinator
Well, let's hope someone at Disney sees this and issues a statement and that they WILL issue corrected discs. After all, Warner Bros. can do it, why not Disney?

John

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
Let's not forget the initial TARZAN single-disc DVD released in 2000 had a faulty Dolby Digital 5.0 track - the rear left channel was silent. Something similar happened to their initial release of SHE'S ALL THAT. They never recalled the discs - only eventually did they do an "exchange", leaving rhe faulty discs on shelves since it was assummed - probably correctly at the time - that most people didn't have 5.1 playback capability to notice the flaws.

LarryH

Supporting Actor
Holy crow! This is about as shoddy craftsmanship as possible. Don't these folks ever review their work? I wonder if switching the red and blue component signals would make this viewable.

Steven Wesley

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Big time thanks to Chuck for doing the work on the red/blue color issue. I guess now we know what the heck happened with the images. :)

So, I guess the next obvious question would be, where do we go from here? As has been noted, Disney isn't exactly well-known for doing replacements/recalls. Do we just sit around and hope someone of importance notices the issue? Or is this actually worth calling/e-mailing the Mouse? (And if so, what's the best contact method to use?)

- Steve

David*W

Agent
Well I emailed BVHE customer services and they asked me to phone them to discuss the matter further. Only since I do not live in the US or Canada it would cost me a fortune.

But for US/Canada residents they can phone BVHE for free the numbers are:

(800) 723-4763 (Canada: 888 877-2843), Monday 9:30-7:30 and
Tuesday through Friday 9:30-6:30 CST.

I'd be very grateful if someone would do it, perhaps while you're at it you could mention the problems 'More Silly Symphonies' has.

Not sure if it's been mentioned here but there is another issue with 'More Silly Symphonies' being that the cartioon 'The Night Before Christmas' has been edited.

Also there is a problem with the True Life Adventures Volume 4 disc too. Some copies have the last reel of 'Secrets of Life' in cinemascope while others have it pan and scan. Unfortunately mine is one of the pan and scan ones. Another issue that needs reporting! :frowning:

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Well, I just got off the phone with BVHE and there is some good news. They are aware of the color problem with "Everglades". The operator took all my contact information and said I would be informed when replacements were available. Whether they actually bother to fix it or not is anyone's guess, but at least they aren't pleading ignorance. The cinemascope issue on volume 4 however, was news to them. The copy they had available was a pan and scan version but they don't have a widescreen version to verify against. I was told they would get back to me on that one.

I neglected to mention the Silly Symphonies issue because I'm not aware of what the problem is.

David*W

Agent

The Disney Treasures Wave 6 thread goes into a bit of depth:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...=241329&page=3

To summarise again the 3 issues are firstly during the short 'More Kittens' at 2:06 blocks/pixels appear on the screen and depending upon the hardward it seems to result in varying degrees of picture breakup.

The 2nd issue, doesn't really affect that much but is worth mentioning. During 'The Moth and the Flame' as the cartoon ends and the final title card comes up the aspect ratio changes and the cartoon becomes windowboxed for a few seconds before returning to a full frame.

The third is more to do with the fact they've provided an edited print rather than a technical fault. The version of 'The Night Before Christmas' is edited with scenes of Amos n Andy dolls pulling a cart with a black doll that says 'mammy'.

Jim-M

Second Unit
I went to disneydvd.com and sent in a report about the problem with the Prowlers of the Everglades episode. I suggest others call or do the online report to increase the chances of getting this fixed.

TedD

Supporting Actor
I originally projected this film back when it was released.

The last reel was NOT shot in scope! However, the print did come with notes that indicated that the last reel was printed with narrow frame lines and could be OPTIONALLY projected with a 'Scope lens at the discretion of the theater. Since there were no objects with a known reference shape (in other words, no people or animals) the distortion caused by the 'Scope lens would not be noticable and the final segment would have more impact on the wider screen.

Ted

Jim-M

Second Unit
I called Disney yesterday about the Prowler of the Everglades issue. As mentioned above, they are aware of the issue. I was told that I would be sent a prepaid mailer to return my current disc. They said to hold onto it until the new discs are ready which would be about 6-8 weeks. They will call and let me know when the new discs are ready at which point I can then send in the current disc.

David*W

Agent

Well on the DVD bonus features they state it was cinemascope.

But regardless of whether it was or wasn't the fact remains that some copies of the DVD with a cinemascope ratio picture, whereas others have a zoomed in pan and scan version of the footage.

TedD

Supporting Actor
But my point was that it should not be "zoomed in pan and scan". It should be the same frame of film, either using the 1.33 full height of the DVD frame or vertically compressed to a 2.40:1 frame with black bars.

If it was panned and scanned, then that is yet another error with this set that needs to be corrected.

Ted

Steven Wesley

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Hey guys, in order to keep this thread on topic regarding the color issue with Prowlers of the Everglades, I started a new thread to talk about the Secrets of Life aspect ratio issue... complete with screen captures. You can find it here :)

- Steve

Steven Wesley

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
I did my duty today and called Disney (via this contact info). It took a little while to explain everything to the operator, who then routed me to a technician.

In regards to Prowler of the Everglades, the technician did acknowledge the problem. He added, however, that Disney has not made a determination yet if they are going to do a replacement. However, if they did, they would call back per the contact information provided when I initially contacted them.

(And regarding the Secrets of Life aspect ratio issue, same story. They are looking into it, don't know what they are going to do, will call back if they do replace, blah, blah, blah).

I'd probably recommend calling Disney to at least increase the volume of calls on this issue so that it stays on their radar:

800.723.4763 U.S.
888.877.2843 Canada

Monday 9:30-7:30 p.m. / Tuesday through Friday 9:30-6:30 p.m. CST

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks