What's new

Would you sell your home for $1M? (1 Viewer)

CameronJ

Stunt Coordinator
Depends on if I needed the money or not.

I'm assuming that the community is populated with a decent number of retirees, many of whom may already be living the life they want (sufficient savings, income from investments, etc.).

If the choice was $1M vs leaving my "dream home" when I don't really need the money (although it's a trailer) - I'm not selling.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay

I'm with you! If I lived in a "perfect" place and where i would want to spend the rest of my life in, no way I'm selling it for any money in the world. Of course, there would be no way I could have bought this said house for $150k 2 years ago either. I wouldn't even know if a perfect place would actually exist.

Would I sell my current house for $1 million... absolutely!

Jay

Matt Fig

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt Fig
Yes. I could build my "new" dream house somewhere else and then add more goodies to it when the new one is being built.

CRyan

Screenwriter
I agree with the sentimate that life is worth more than money and if you are happy with where you are then hell no!

HOWEVER, if there are only a few holdouts and it is all or nothing, I dont imagine life would be the same with those neighbors after preventing them from making that money. I would pretty much imagine you would be shunned at that point if you were one of the people that stopped the deal.

CameronJ

Stunt Coordinator

That's probably the most important point - your idyllic lifestyle would quickly come to an end if all of your neighbors hated you.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
The current "dream house" only your dream house until the next hurricane comes through anyway. We're talking about a mobile home park on an Atlantic barrier island in south Florida.

Buzz Foster

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
I'd sell my mother for $1 million dollars.

Seriously, if I were in teh position to retire, I could move to any number of small, cheap towns, pay cash for a home, have TONS of cash left ovr, and travel to my heart's content.

One million for my house in Albuquerque vs. Damned little for a place near Cloudcroft, with all the skiing I can stand in the winter, horse races, the most beautiful state in the union for motorcycle riding, etc. Yeah, an offer of one million dollars, and I am as good as gone.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, the only reasons I wouldn’t sell for a million are:

a.The house is actually worth more than that

b.I’d have to spend at least that much to get an equivalent replacement

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, but the house is in Florida, not Fantasy land.

I think the whole state of Wyoming could be bought for $1million, assuming the three residents could be located.

John Alvarez

Screenwriter

That's the problem. I don't think you could get an equivlent home from what they are saying. It's on the ocean and backs up to the intracoastal?

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I didn't read the article because I saw it in the local paper, but isn't there one guy who doesn't want to sell?

Can you IMAGINE the HATRED this man is going to receive from his neighbors. I mean, I can understand the sentimentality of your home, but to shun all those people from becoming fairly rich, well, that sounds a little selfish to me.

EDIT: Sorry, I did see the part about the guy not wanting to sell - and what's even more perplxeing is, the guy has only been there 2 YEARS???? I could ALMOST understand if he had been there his whole life and was one of those old guys that wants to die there, etc. etc. - but two years in a TRAILER HOME??? This guy is nuts!

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
This story will probably end up with a mostly happy ending. The way the trailer park is set up, only 2/3 of the residents have to approve the deal for it to be carried by the whole park. Apparently they don't actually own their spaces but 'shares' in the trailer park if I understand the complicated mess correctly. The buyout offer is X amount of dollars per share. With a million dollars, you could get into a condo just about anywhere on the coast of Florida and still have money in the bank.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis

Actually Harrison Ford's ranch outside Jackson is worth a lot more than $1 million. Plus all the oil and natural gas sites are worth a bundle. Admittedly Wyoming has the smallest population of any state, but there are still over 400K people there.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
My brother thinks the guy is playing hard ball to get a bigger payout...I don't agree with that, but hopefully this guy doesn't sour the deal for the rest who will make out nicely.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Mark, read the article. Only two-thirds of the residents need to approve the buy out for it to go through. If this guy (and the elderly couple from New York) are truly the only holdouts, the deal will still go through no problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks