What's new

Anyone seen new musicals dvds? (1 Viewer)

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Some new releases of musicals in the past few weeks on dvd and no one has mentioned the quality here.
1. Bing Crosby Collection from Universal
2. Warners - Best Foot Forward
3. warners - Presenting Lily Mars

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
BEST FOOT FORWARD looks great, from different elements than the vhs or laser release. LILY MARS looks like the same master as was used for laser....it's not horrific, but it's not top notch either.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
BEST FOOT FORWARD does, inded look superb. The rest of the movie now matches (if not exceeds) the quality of the "3 B's" footage seen in THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT III. I'd seen it before, but didn't remember it being as much fun as I found it recently. It's a definite keeper.

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor

I agree with all the kudos for BEST FOOT FORWARD. It looks sensational, and no one here has mentioned that the film's OVERTURE and EXIT MUSIC have been restored for the first time.

I don't agree that LILY MARS is the same transfer as was used on laser. I compared the two, and the DVD is much sharper, and cleaner. The LILY MARS DVD is a progressive transfer, whereas to my eye the LILY MARS laser is a much older transfer, possibly analog. It is likely that both transfers were derived from the same film source.

I am delighted with both new DVDs.

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark

That's the point I was trying to make. Sorry if it was foggy. Good point about the Overture and Exit Music....I was glad to see that included.

Corey

Screenwriter
best foot forward looks gorgeous. i just can't replaying the three B's over and over again. I can't wait till they release some more MGM musicals.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Another who has nothing but raves for BEST FOOT FORWARD. It has the best Technicolor I've seen lately apart from the Ultra-Resolution DVDs. And the overture and exit music were REAL surprises to me. Had never seen or heard them until the DVD.

Steve Armbrust

Second Unit
DVDTalk's review of the Crosby set is basically in line with my own opinion. No restoration has been done on these films, but the video and audio seem to be in pretty good shape. However, there are no extras, not even scene selections, which is pretty pathetic, in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks