Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Anyone seen new musicals dvds?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 Joe Caps

Joe Caps

Screenwriter

• 1,931 posts

Posted January 02 2007 - 01:54 PM

Some new releases of musicals in the past few weeks on dvd and no one has mentioned the quality here.
1. Bing Crosby Collection from Universal
2. Warners - Best Foot Forward
3. warners - Presenting Lily Mars

#2 of 9 ChrisPearson

ChrisPearson

Second Unit

• 287 posts

Posted January 02 2007 - 09:40 PM

DVDTalk has a review of the Crosby set here: http://www.dvdtalk.c....=25243&___rd=1

#3 of 9 Mark B

Mark B

Supporting Actor

• 724 posts
  • LocationSaranac Lake, NY

Posted January 03 2007 - 12:45 AM

BEST FOOT FORWARD looks great, from different elements than the vhs or laser release. LILY MARS looks like the same master as was used for laser....it's not horrific, but it's not top notch either.

#4 of 9 Will Krupp

Will Krupp

Supporting Actor

• 874 posts

Posted January 03 2007 - 01:02 AM

BEST FOOT FORWARD does, inded look superb. The rest of the movie now matches (if not exceeds) the quality of the "3 B's" footage seen in THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT III. I'd seen it before, but didn't remember it being as much fun as I found it recently. It's a definite keeper.

#5 of 9 Roger Rollins

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor

• 931 posts

Posted January 03 2007 - 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B
BEST FOOT FORWARD looks great, from different elements than the vhs or laser release. LILY MARS looks like the same master as was used for laser....it's not horrific, but it's not top notch either.

I agree with all the kudos for BEST FOOT FORWARD. It looks sensational, and no one here has mentioned that the film's OVERTURE and EXIT MUSIC have been restored for the first time.

I don't agree that LILY MARS is the same transfer as was used on laser. I compared the two, and the DVD is much sharper, and cleaner. The LILY MARS DVD is a progressive transfer, whereas to my eye the LILY MARS laser is a much older transfer, possibly analog. It is likely that both transfers were derived from the same film source.

I am delighted with both new DVDs.

#6 of 9 Mark B

Mark B

Supporting Actor

• 724 posts
  • LocationSaranac Lake, NY

Posted January 03 2007 - 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rollins
It is likely that both transfers were derived from the same film source.

That's the point I was trying to make. Sorry if it was foggy. Good point about the Overture and Exit Music....I was glad to see that included.

#7 of 9 Corey

Corey

Screenwriter

• 1,412 posts

Posted January 03 2007 - 07:52 AM

best foot forward looks gorgeous. i just can't replaying the three B's over and over again. I can't wait till they release some more MGM musicals.
Corey's most wanted R1 dvds:

Little Darlings (1980), My Cousin Rachel (1952), The Deep Blue Sea (1955), The White Cliffs of Dover (1944), Born to Be Bad (1950), Ivy (1947), Reckless (1935), Springtime in the Rockies (1942), The Barretts of Wimpole Street

#8 of 9 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 10,696 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted January 03 2007 - 09:14 AM

Another who has nothing but raves for BEST FOOT FORWARD. It has the best Technicolor I've seen lately apart from the Ultra-Resolution DVDs. And the overture and exit music were REAL surprises to me. Had never seen or heard them until the DVD.

#9 of 9 Steve Armbrust

Steve Armbrust

Second Unit

• 277 posts

Posted January 03 2007 - 09:39 AM

DVDTalk's review of the Crosby set is basically in line with my own opinion. No restoration has been done on these films, but the video and audio seem to be in pretty good shape. However, there are no extras, not even scene selections, which is pretty pathetic, in my opinion.

Living in the Baseball Wasteland.

Forum Nav Content I Follow