What's new

Good Bye 2006, Hello 2007 (2 Viewers)

jacktripper1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jacob
Tonight at midnight it will be a dawen of a brand new year, and brand new TVONDVD releases. BUt 2006 aint over yet. List what you think as the top three best TVONDVD releases of 2006. Also list what you think are the top three worstn TVONDVD releases of 2006. Also list the top three best of what will be released in 2007 if it gets released.
BEST:
1. Three's Company Season 8
2. Dukes of HAzzard Season 7
3. Andy Griffith ashow The COmplete Final Season.

WORST:
1. Any Dungeons and Dragons
2.Any Simpsons
3. BEverly Hillbillies Ultimate Comllections-- Why can't they just release them in seaosn sets?

1. BAtman 1966
2. Continuing HAppy Days
3. Three's Company Spin off's--- Ropers and Three's A Crowd

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Best (in alphabetical order):
Lost: Season Two
Seinfeld: Season Seven
The Simpsons: Season Eight and Season Nine
24: Season Five

I didn't bother buying any 'worst' sets this year.

If you consider The Simpsons sets the second worst release of the year, the Three's Company and Dukes Of Hazzard sets must be truly amazing.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Best:
—Match Game
—Sesame Street: Old School
—I Love Lucy: Season 6

Worst:
—Mama's Family: The "Complete" First Season (every bit as complete as a book with pages missing)
—Kate & Allie: Season 1 (might as well have been a Columbia House disc for the price of 6 episodes, 3 of them cut)
—ALF: excerpts from Seasons 3 and 4

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
Best:
1. Saturday Night Live: The Complete First Season. Sure, the extras are meager, but having all of these available finally is a treat. Probably the most important TV DVD set ever.

2. The Office: Season Two. Probably the overall best presentation of any TV DVD set--great picture and sound and tons of remarkable extras.

3. The Simpsons seasons 8 and 9. Anyone who owns any Simpsons set should know why.

Worst (really, most disappointing)
1. Pete and Pete season 3...or lack thereof.

2. Survivor...all three releases this year had little added value. This is especially a problem with Palau and Vanuatu, which both were filmed after All Stars. That set included a ton of extras, including deleted scenes. If I had to pick one as the worst, it'd be Vanuatu for chopping out the "Next time on Survivor" promos (the first of the six sets to do so).

3. The King of Queens season 5 and 6. It's great to have these episodes available, but why can't we get them in the correct aspect ratio and with some actual extras?

cherisland

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd
BEST of 2006

GET SMART (complete series) - hands down, easily the BEST tv show set released to date ..kudo's to TIME-LIFE..this is how a TV show SHOULD be released on DVD

I LOVE LUCY - season 6 - again..awesome set with extras...great to finally have this series complete with LUCY-DESI coming in 2007.....now how about the LUCY SHOW?

THAT GIRL - season 2 - again....great to have complete uncut eps and cool bonus features..thanks MARLO!

(honorable mention to PINKY & THE BRAIN VOL.s 1 & 2 - wonderful to finally see this make DVD)

WORST of 2006

ALF season 4- hard to believe that the entire series has been released on DVD with cut episodes in syndicated form mising up to 5 mins of eps...what a shame. I stopped purchasing after the 2nd season and instead will rely on my old VHS original airings to watch.

MARRIED WITH CHILDREN season 5- wish they would stick to UNCUT eps..this is a great series and deserves better DVD treatment..when will the studios realize that we fans want our faves exactly as they were originally aired?
(hear season 6 is better...have to still puchase)

KATE & ALLIE - season 1 (US release) - no comparison with the combined Season 1 & 2 Canadian DVd release - though both do feature some cut eps...grrr....

FUTURE best...2007?

more BEWITCHED with BONUS features - bloopers, behind the scenes..come on SONY!!

SABRINA THE TEEN-AGE WITCH - great this is finally coming to DVD..hopefully with extras

BIONIC WOMAN.....have the region 2 DVD's of both seasons 1 & 2...would love for this to finally make DVD here and with any added bonus materials as well.....any input from LIndsay would be great-commentary, bloopers, behind the scenes and better DVD covers than the region 2 stuff!

THE LUCY SHOW - this has been a long time coming now.....dare I hope?

Aaron Handy III

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Handy III
Hm, lemme see now:

Best:
  1. M*A*S*H - Seasons 10 and 11. The Circle Is Complete! :cool:

(Absolute) Worst:
  1. The Scooby-Doo/Dynomutt Hour - The Complete Series (?). Warner Home Video has been known to fumble the ball in constructing many of its Hanna-Barbera Classic Collection series, but this one not only took the cake, but the entire bakery. Expecting to see the original 1976 hourlong broadcast version (which would have included only one opening and closing credits sequence per episode), not seen since its original run on ABC Saturday Morning, we were instead treated to separate syndicated versions of The Scooby-Doo Show and Dynomutt, Dog Wonder. Inadvertently slapped together on 4 discs. Even though the material still exists.

They claim on the box they have 3 episodes from the 90-minute Scooby Doo/Dynomutt Show and the lyrics to the original "catchy theme song which celebrates, '...while Scooby is haunted by a spooky ghost, Dynomutt is doin' what he does the most!'", yet feature completely different material on the 4 "delightful" discs within. They never even featured the original Scooby Doo/Dynomutt bridging sequences as Easter eggs. When you recieve dose after dose of the syndicated editions for many years, you kinda get a hankering for the original.

For diehard animation fans, this gave new meaning to the phrase "major disappointment"; we were practically fleeced by WHV! I don't even play my copy of the set any longer. This has "disc replacement program" written all over it. :angry:

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

do you really think the Simpsons DVD's are bad? especially considering you have the bare-bones Andy Griffith in your faves... or do you just hate The Simpsons and put them in the worst in a "this show blows" type of way?

Ron68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron
Best:

Lost: season 2
24: season 5
Simpsons: season 8 (don't own season 9 yet)

Worst:

Incredible Hulk: season 1
Lois & Clark: season 4
King of the Hill: season 6

I chose these because of the lack of/or meager extras on the sets for these shows that I really enjoy

bobPON

Stunt Coordinator
The Best
Cheyenne-Season 1
The Rockford Files-Seasons 1 and 2
Rawhide-Season 1

The Worst
Too many to count

More Cheyenne
77 Sunset Strip
Hawaiian Eye

Kev_S

Grip
Real Name
Kevin Shinner
Best:

Lost season 2
Alias season 5
24 Season 5

Worst

Bad Girls season 8 (Where do I start a poor season, no extended episodes and a change in song for the last ever scene of the series, oh and no extras unless you count a photo gallery!).

Tales From The Crypt (A great show but not much in the way of extras ).

Ian K McLachlan

Second Unit
Real Name
Ian Kenneth McLachlan
For me the best TV on DVD this year was -

1. Adam Adamant Lives! What survives of this classic 1966-7 series including 2 commentaries, and excellent documentary....and much more.
2. Doctor Who - The Beginning. The first 3 stories of the legendary Doctor Who.
3. Doctor Who - Invasion. The 6 episodes still surviving plus 2 episodes animated. Again plus an interesting documentary.

Worst....? There are some series that I have been disappointed by because of the lack of extras....i.e. Mission Impossible...although the actual prints have been very good.

For 2007

1. Doomwatch. I would very much like to see what survives of this classic series released on DVD.

And as for shows which were made in America I would very much like to see -

1. Land of the Giants. COmplete box set.
2. Daktari.
3. Search/Probe/Control.

Among others.......

Firebee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
Best:

Get Smart: The Complete Series, agree with many posters on separate thread that this is hands-down the best series to have been released to date in terms of how it was handled. Wish other studios such as Universal and Sony would get a clue!

Lost: Season 2. Loved watching it again, especially to catch up on the episodes that I missed (this was pre-ABC streaming the shows from its Web site that began about mid-year). Can't wait for ``Lost'' to resume next month and can't wait to buy this set come September or October!

Invasion/The Adventures of Brisco County Jr.: Loved both of these one-season shows. Especially Brisco, since I'd never heard of it before I finally saw it listed on Amazon (okay, so I didn't read the Brisco threads here, otherwise I'd have known about it a lot sooner). A shame that both shows got cancelled because they had really good premises, and in the case of Brisco, excellent acting and storylines.

The worst: Am disappointed with Universal's release of ``The Incredible Hulk'' because of the lack of extras. Am glad they finally got off the cheap bandwagon with the DVD-18s and went to single-sided discs with this release.

Hopes for 2007:
Am hoping to see more Mork & Mindy, more Bewitched, more Magnum, perhaps the last season of Charmed (with extras!), more Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, hopefully the last season of ``My Favorite Martian,'' more SeaQuest (after more than a year!!!). You'd think Universal would get a clue with some of these shows instead of releasing the dreck that they do.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Best:
SNL: season one: definitely my #1 favorite dvd of the year.
Lost season 2
Simpsons 9

Worst:
Grosse Pointe: lousy, blurred transfers; ENDLESS delays in delivery; full screen versions were given for the dvd, when the show was originally shot in a wider aspect ratio (although it was shown full screen on tv).
The Big Valley season one: cheesy double-sided discs; many people have reported having trouble playing them...including myself. No extras.
Mama's Family: not only are the episodes edited for syndication, but the episodes that appear on the disc aren't very good transfers at all. C'mon, Sony--you can SOOOO do better than this!!!

Surprising finds:
So Notorious: how did I miss this show?? It's frikken hilarious!
Veronica Mars: another sleeper hit; I highly recommend both the dvd and the show itself.
Match Game: solid entertainment!

Wanting to buy more:
Dynasty
Melrose Place
The Big Valley
Bewitched
The Flying Nun
SNL
Simpsons
South Park

mannix

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
tim
best
the seasons of dallas that came out
ark 2
the seasons of columbo that came out
worst
the seasons of the simpsons that came out
the seasons of south park that came out
the seasons of family guy that came out

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Obviously you didn't buy these sets (nor should you if you don't like the shows) but how can you say if it's good or bad without seeing it? Maybe if they were syndicated edits or something like that but it seems ridiculous to say that a DVD is the worst because you don't like the show.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink

I can't think of a better reason to call a DVD "the worst."

The whole reason one watches a DVD is for the program (be it film or television) it contains. If that content is poor, then what good is a pristine transfer or extensive supplements? One could certain ask the question, "what DVD most poorly represents its featured content, irrespective of the quality of that content?" But as this thread's original post did not specify which sense he meant by "best" and "worst," I think it's quite reasonable to call a DVD "the worst" solely because it contains lousy programming.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Yes but to declare something the 'worst' I think you should have actually seen the DVD and there should be a problem beyond "I don't like that show". I don't like Grey's Anatomy but I wouldn't call that the worst DVD just because I don't like the show.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
If the list were "Best and Worst TV Shows" then I would agree with you, Carl. But it's about the best DVD presentations. Like Travis, I'm not a Grey's Anatomy fan, but to say that the DVD set is among the worst of the year would be ridiculous. It may not be something that I'd buy or like to receive as a gift, but from all accounts I've read, it's a quality set.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink

No, I re-read the first post post and it definitely said "best DVD," not "best DVD presentation." As you suggest, the presentation might be good even if the film (or TV show) is poor, but a DVD cannot be considered worthwhile unless it contains quality programming.

While I hesitate to speak on anyone's behalf, I daresay that Jacktripper1's inclusion of The Simpsons among the year's worst in this thread's original post indicates precisely what he intended this thread to be about, as the Simpsons DVDs have been almost universally lauded as top-tier DVD presentations. I'm sure he'll correct me if I presume too much, but I imagine that anyone who cites a Simpsons DVD as among the years worst clearly has an issue with The Simpsons itself, not with the DVD presentation of same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks