Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

- - - - -

artists that you purchase CDs from sight unseen "sound unheard"?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 of 31 OFFLINE   Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds

• 3,597 posts

Posted December 30 2006 - 05:49 PM

who are the artists that you will purchase new music from based on their name? when any of these artists release anything, i'll buy it without knowing a thing about it. ben folds belle and sebastian wendy carlos pearl jam prefuse 73/scott herren CJ
And then when I feel so stuffed I can't eat anymore, I just use the restroom! And then I CAN eat more!

#2 of 31 OFFLINE   FeisalK

• 1,245 posts

Posted December 30 2006 - 07:56 PM

Porcupine Tree Jack Johnson Marillion Steely Dan used to include Iron Maiden (lost it after Powerslave) Dire Straits (lost it after BiA) and people no longer producing records Led Zep Rush (?) Pink Floyd Queen
DVD-A registry for hirez/surround audio
Bluray, DVD-Audio, DAD/HDAD, DualDisc, MVI

#3 of 31 OFFLINE   ThomasC

Lead Actor

• 6,526 posts

Posted December 31 2006 - 02:30 AM

Mew The Elected

#4 of 31 OFFLINE   Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

• 5,525 posts

Posted December 31 2006 - 05:18 AM

Plenty: Bowie Springsteen U2 Madonna The Stones McCartney Pearl Jam Big Country Elvis Costello Peter Gabriel Garbage Janet Jackson And a bunch of others I can't think of right now...
Colin Jacobson

#5 of 31 OFFLINE   Steve Felix

Steve Felix

Supporting Actor

• 618 posts

Posted December 31 2006 - 06:11 AM

The White Stripes Nine Inch Nails Neko Case My Bloody Valentine (I can dream.)
"We're trying to make a movie here, not a film!"
Flickr photos

#6 of 31 OFFLINE   Will_B

• 4,733 posts

Posted December 31 2006 - 09:17 AM

David Bowie
Rhett Miller
Evan Dando
Avril Lavigne (I just love listing her right after Evan Dando)
Stuart Davis
Thomas Dolby
Tegan & Sara
The Weepies / Deb Talan
Robyn Hitchcock

I linked those to MySpace sites so you can sample their music.
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#7 of 31 OFFLINE   kamyiu

Stunt Coordinator

• 145 posts

Posted December 31 2006 - 10:25 AM

wouldn't that be something

#8 of 31 OFFLINE   Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

• 2,695 posts

Posted December 31 2006 - 02:31 PM

Tori Amos
George Michael
Steely Dan
Dave Matthews Band
Kate Bush

Come to think of it.....if Pink Floyd or Dire Straits were to release any new CDs, I'd pick them up without question too. Posted Image
Recently watched- Burn Notice: Season 6, Insidious: Chapter 2, Emperor Of The North, Young Justice: Season 1, Exit Humanity, U Turn, The Dead 2, Chappie, The Sentinel(1977), 10 To Midnight, Fury, Gone Girl, Furious 7, WKRP In Cincinnati: Season 4, Apollo 13, Zulu(1964), Runner Runner, A Good Day To Die Hard, The Gunman(2015), The Walking Dead: Season 5

Currently watching- Planet Earth, True Blood: Season 3, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2, Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D.: Season 1, Game Of Thrones: Season 2, Heroes: Season 2, The Pacific, Burn Notice: Season 7, Battlestar Galactica: The Definitive Collection, Young Justice: Invasion, Arrow: Season 3
"Nothing's sadder than locking a beast in a cage."

#9 of 31 OFFLINE   KevinJ

Supporting Actor

• 558 posts

Posted January 01 2007 - 03:09 AM

The Grateful Dead,Pink Floyd,King Crimson,Porcupine Tree,Yes,ZZ Topp

#10 of 31 OFFLINE   Brett_B

Supporting Actor

• 755 posts

Posted January 01 2007 - 08:24 AM

Rush has a new album due out sometime this spring (all recording is done - just fine tuning album at this point). I will DEFINITELY buy anything Rush or Pink Floyd new. I was burned previously by U2, and will not buy anything of their's as blind purchases anymore. C'mon, after Achtung Baby we were treated with Zooropa which I only listened to once and I have no idea where that CD is now (and I really don't care to find it - only to throw it away).

#11 of 31 OFFLINE   KurtEP

Supporting Actor

• 698 posts

Posted January 01 2007 - 10:10 AM

Currently: Neko Case Bowie - He's really gotten on his game the last few albums Nine Inch Nails Anne Sophie Mutter Previously Stereolab - they seemed to go down hill after Mary Hansen died.
Lay down your law books now, they're no damned good -- The Eagles

#12 of 31 OFFLINE   Henry Gale

Henry Gale

• 4,633 posts

Posted January 01 2007 - 04:51 PM

I got halfway through the alphabet and already had 34 artists or groups that I own complete collections of. So, that would be a little tedious to get into. Here's a few: Bob Wills Clifton Chenier Chris Smither The Donnas Harry Nilsson Holy Model Rounders Merle Haggard Moon Mullican
"I was born to ramble, born to rove
Some men are searchin for the Holy Grail
But there ain't nothin sweeter 
Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-

#13 of 31 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 15,179 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted January 01 2007 - 06:33 PM

I bought Al Stewart's new album last year without listening to it first. I do the same for just about any Western artist.

#14 of 31 OFFLINE   StacyV

Second Unit

• 282 posts

Posted January 02 2007 - 03:11 AM

Prince Me'Shell Ndegeocello (though I didn't get that jazz cd she did) Seal

#15 of 31 OFFLINE   PaulDA

• 2,624 posts
  • LocationSt. Hubert, Quebec, Canada

Posted January 02 2007 - 11:18 AM

Genesis (when they were releasing material) Peter Gabriel Matthew Sweet (not an artist but) RCA Living Stereo SACD releases many hi-res MCH classical and jazz recordings (but usually based on a recommendation from someone I trust) Alison Krauss (with or without Union Station) Not very many, really. Not because there are not any other deserving, but because of limited time, finances and my desire to go broad with my purchases. Even the above list only includes artists I've purchased "sound unheard", not artists for whom I have a complete collection (I have none).
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes time, and it annoys the pig.

#16 of 31 OFFLINE   Josh Simpson

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor

• 926 posts

Posted January 02 2007 - 03:04 PM

Currently: Dream Theater Pearl Jam Diana Krall (though I didn't like "From this moment on" too much) Megadeth Silverchair Previously: Metallica (they've fallen so far in my opinion)

#17 of 31 OFFLINE   Luis Esp

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor

• 585 posts

Posted January 04 2007 - 10:25 AM

Over the last few years, my list has shrunk greatly on the artist's cds that I would purchase unheard. Tori Amos: although the Beekeeper still hasn't pulled me in yet, there's not one cd or tour I've missed. Sheryl Crow: favourite album has got to be The Globe Sessions, but Weather Channel from C'mon C'mon is up there. Wildflower is currently on heavy rotation in my mp3 player. Madonna: hasn't led me astray yet, and despite the reviews for American Life, it's easily one of my favourites. Never fails to impress with her live shows either. Chris Isaak: the man is in perpetual heartbreak mode. Why mess with a good thing? Enigma: the lastest cd is a somewhat return/ foward move to what Enigma does best. Robbie Williams: current cd is Rudebox, which left me scratching my head, but after a few listens, some tracks really stand out like "She's Madonna" and "The Actor". Sarah Brightman: every cd is a journey. Favourite cd still is "Dive". Minnie Driver: ok, she only has one cd, but I bought it, well because it's Minnie Driver and after all that's said and done, I really enjoyed it and can't wait to hear what she does next. Damhnait Doyle: damn right sexy, amazing voice and music. Favourite cd is "Hyperdramatic" especially the title cut, with "Afterglow" and "Another California Song" a close second from the cd "Dav-net". Her rendition of Bob Marley's "Is This Love" with Danny Michel is from her forth coming cover cd. Her work with Shaye is good, although the new forth coming Shaye cd may get lost in the mix. Susanna Hoffs: I need more solo stuff from her! The Under the Covers Vol. 1 cd with Matthew Sweet is amazing! So when is Vol. 2 coming out?! Sophie B. Hawkins: some much more than just "Damn, I wish I was your lover", which is still an amazing song. Whaler is also another great cd. Bjork: just bought the surrounded boxset and all I can say is WOW! Listening to the tracks in dts is a whole new experience. I have some many more artists that I could write down, but one that's fallen out of favour lately is Chantal Kreviazuk. I don't understand how someone so talented, who put out both "Colour Moving and Still" (with songs like "Far Away" and "Eve") and "What If It All Means Something" can put out such a tuneless and mediocre piece of crap like "Ghost Stories". Oh yeah, I forgot, the cd was produced by her husband Raine Maida. I was at the cd release party back in Aug. and was horribly disappointed. Lately at her live shows, she has this awful scowl on her face, like she would rather have a root canal than be performing live.
I'm not nice...people just make that assumption of me.

#18 of 31 OFFLINE   Carl Miller

Carl Miller

• 1,461 posts

Posted January 04 2007 - 11:17 AM

Tool A Perfect Circle Pearl Jam Peter Gabriel I would if they'd put something new out: Pink Floyd Sade Live material from Soundgarden and Van Halen w/David Lee Roth Not Anymore, but used to: System of a Down Metallica Bruce Springsteen Rolling Stones

#19 of 31 OFFLINE   Andrew Chong

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor

• 739 posts

Posted January 05 2007 - 04:51 AM

past and present: Aphex Twin Art of Noise Beatles Beck BT Wendy Carlos Chemical Brothers Dave Brubeck Quartet Electric Light Orchestra Emmylou Harris Fatboy Slim Gorillaz Bernard Herrmann Jean-Michel Jarre Juno Reactor Leo Kottke Aimee Mann Mike Oldfield Orbital Pet Shop Boys Prodigy Queen The Shadows Tremeloes White Stripes John Williams Yello Hans Zimmer

#20 of 31 OFFLINE   Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

• 4,147 posts

Posted January 05 2007 - 06:47 AM

Sparks Pet Shop Boys Negativland
Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users