Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Gunshots in HD

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   King Jeff

King Jeff

Stunt Coordinator

• 92 posts

Posted December 29 2006 - 03:50 PM

I've noticed in every HD-DVD I've watched the gunshot sound effects sounded really weak, nowhere near as powerful or rough as I thought they used to be. Anyone else think so? I didn't like how they sounded in Full Metal Jacket, Miami Vice, Unforgiven, and The Dirty Dozen. If they release Heat they better do the sound effects right.
"Because she's got a.....GREAT ASS! And you've got your head all the way up it!"

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Harminder

Harminder

Second Unit

• 462 posts

Posted December 30 2006 - 04:14 AM

Have you tried Terminator 3, We Were Soldiers, Doom, Chronicles of Riddick or Swordfish?

Have you turn on dialog enhancement on your HD-DVD player? Sometimes that helps for DD+ tracks. But turn it off for TrueHD tracks.

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   King Jeff

King Jeff

Stunt Coordinator

• 92 posts

Posted December 30 2006 - 09:13 AM

I don't think mine has dialog enhancement, I'm using the 360 add on. But I'll check those movies out to see if I have the same problem.
"Because she's got a.....GREAT ASS! And you've got your head all the way up it!"

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   BrianShort

BrianShort

Supporting Actor

• 934 posts

Posted December 31 2006 - 10:58 AM

This is why I bought Blu-Ray instead. Way better gunshots than crappy HD-DVD!

Posted Image

Yes I'm kidding. I actually recently watched Miami Vice on regular DVD, and the gunfire seemed pretty realistic, though it definitely wasn't giving my subwoofer a workout or anything. Been awhile since I've seen any of those other movies.

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   TWISTED BULLET

TWISTED BULLET

Agent

• 30 posts

Posted January 01 2007 - 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Jeff
I don't think mine has dialog enhancement, I'm using the 360 add on. But I'll check those movies out to see if I have the same problem.

I'm just double checking you have your sound set to dolby digital in the digital output settings? The sound on the xbox 360 is incredible, better than the toshiba in my opinion, and better than the ps3.

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   King Jeff

King Jeff

Stunt Coordinator

• 92 posts

Posted January 02 2007 - 11:04 AM

Yeah I have it set to Dolby Digital with WMA Pro. Just curious, does Dolby True HD still sound as good with an optical cable instead of analog cables?

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   Marko Berg

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor

• 856 posts

Posted January 03 2007 - 01:40 AM

Quote:
does Dolby True HD still sound as good with an optical cable instead of analog cables?

You will not be able to get full TrueHD quality with an optical connection, although I don't know how audible the difference might be on your system.

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Lead Actor

• 7,597 posts

Posted January 03 2007 - 01:52 AM

There's a wonderful story, possibly now apocryphal, about the premiere of Arthur Penn's Bonnie and Clyde.

Seems that every time gunfire erupted on screen, the audio would go down measurably.

Finally, after several occurences, Penn went up to the projection booth to see what the problem was, and was told by the projectionist that he was "saving" the film.

The alert projectionist felt that the gunshots had been over-modulated on the track and was doing his own remix in the booth by lowering the volume by many db each time a gun appeared.

Legend has it that Mr. Penn offered to have the helpful projectionist singing with the castrati if he touched the audio again.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,903 posts

Posted January 03 2007 - 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Harris
There's a wonderful story, possibly now apocryphal, about the premiere of Arthur Penn's Bonnie and Clyde.
I've heard that same story with Warren Beatty going into the projectionist's booth.

Forum Nav Content I Follow