What's new

Panera Bread: Wishing You A Cup Half Full ... (1 Viewer)

Colton

Supporting Actor
Anyone have a Panera Bread in their area? My wife and I love to eat at Panera Bread every once in awhile for lunch. Recently, they have this saying on all their cups: WISHING YOU A CUP HALF FULL. I asked my wife, "Why half full? Aren't customers important enough for a full cup? I don't want a half full cup - it might as well be half empty! Do they want me to pay only half the bill? How would they like that?!" I'm sorry, but this really irks me. If they're going to make a wish - why not wish for a full cup?!! :-x

- Colton

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
The Panera in my town gives you the empty cup and you fill it up yourself, so it's never half full for me. :)

Yeah, Panera ROCKS!

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I think it's a take on the old optimist vs. pessimist saying. Some people's cups (outlooks on life) are half-full, and others' are half-empty. So wishing you a cup half-full (as opposed to a cup half-empty) is the same as wishing you a pleasant enough life that you have reason to be an optimist, rather than a pessimist.

But you already knew that, didn't you?

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Only to some of us. I get it, and its a good sentiment. We don't have a Panera here in Little Rock but I wish we did. I really loved the one we frequented in Jacksonville.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
Sounds like they're trying to condition you to accept half-size servings.

I didn't even realize the band had a restaurant.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I go there because it's the only place I can find with sourdough bread! Not even the grocery store bakeries have sourdough.

I don't buy anything else there except the occasional muffin. Is that just what the cup says or do they really only give you half a cup of coffee? I doubt they'd get away with it if it's only half container of coffee.

-paul

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Paul, they give you empty cups (for Soda, Tea, and Coffee) and you fill them up yourself. The only drinks that they don't allow you to fill (on your own) is the blended/fancier type drinks.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Some seem to think Panera is trying to gyp you on the portions they serve, in this case beverages. When my wife and I went there, often we would order just one sandwhich and split the meal and have plenty to eat. Their sandwhiches are generous in size and they are quality.

Jim_F

Screenwriter
I guess they decided it works better than "Wishing you a half-eaten sandwich."

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
An optimist says the glass is half full
A pessimist says the glass is half empty
An engineer says the glass is twice as big as it should be

:)

Joe

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

There. Now that will appear correctly at least once in this thread. ;)

Only if their average customer is enough of a sheep to take orders from disposable, self-service cups. In which case, they frankly deserve to be ripped off.

I gotta say, if this is the kind of thing that irks you, I wish I had your life. :) I'm tryinig to imagine having so little to worry about otherwise that can I take time to read, much less ponder and obsess over, the inane little messages on drink cups. :) (For Heaven's sake, stay out of Starbucks. They've got actual quotations from various writers on their cups and you're apt to read something that makes your head explode.
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif
)

Of course, here I am taking time to complain about your obsession...
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif

Regards,

Joe

mylan

Screenwriter
Usually Panera lets me fill my own cups, even coffee, so I never even bothered to be offended by whatever saying is on their cups. I like going there but at $17 for two for lunch, it is a guilty pleasure for my wife. She enjoys it more than I do. I have to find a soft bread or I end up with a raw spot on the roof of my mouth from trying to chew the hard stuff.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Oh come on, it's only a saying. Hell, I'd still eat there if their cups said "Wishing you choke on your sandwich, spill your hot soup in your crotch, and accidentally jab a fork in your eye"

:D

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Hey! I was going to use that as the name of my restaurant chain! (My target demo is the hungry misanthrope on the go.)

Joe

Colton

Supporting Actor
LOL! Great comments! :D

No, I'm not obsessed with their cup slogan. It's not something I'm upset about, but thought their choice of words was interesting and could be interpreted both ways. Still, I'd love to tell them, "Wishing my bill half paid."

I really enjoy their Chicken Frontega sammich. God, those just melt in your mouth! My wife and I usually do the half/half with the sammich and brocolli cheese soup. It's Heaven!

- Colton

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Anybody else keep thinking of the 80s metal band PanTera when going there? There's one near where I work and every now and then, my friends and I joke about going to see Pantera... :)

Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks