-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Playing mpeg4 AVC

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
No replies to this topic

#1 of 1 martok

martok

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted December 27 2006 - 07:34 AM

Hello all,

I've recently been playing a bit with Nero recode2 to encode our DVD collection and am impressed with the quality of nero digital AVC for PC playback. I'm having a bit of an issue though with the audio and our home theatre. The short form of the question though is how can I get a 5.1 AAC stream to the audio receiver?

We are currently using an HTPC for media playback. The htpc runs Linux and streams media from other rooms via ethernet. The pc connects to the amp via s/video and an optical audio link. As far as I know, one cannot send AAC over optical as recievers can't currently handle it. I can't use a 5.1 analogue connection as my dvd/sacd player needs those inputs so I'm not sure what the options are.

I've looked at the possiblity of getting a network audio player which can play these files but it would seem that their are none available as yet. The Kiss dp-700 was announced over a year ago but I can't find any release info. In any case, I'm not sure how it'll get the 5.1 stream to the amp. maybe reencode to ac3 or DTS and sent it down the optical line or perhapse use hdmi and send 6 channels of discrete PCM.

Anyways, if anyone has experience with AVC playback, I'd be most curious as to the setup being used. Perhaps there is a pc card with hdmi I am not aware of but that'd be quite the beast of a device as it'd have to do audio and video.

Thanks,
Shane