Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Effective receiver for running a 2.1 HT set-up?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   calvin_b

calvin_b

Stunt Coordinator

• 55 posts

Posted December 24 2006 - 08:51 PM

I'm currently looking for the best combination for a 2.1 HT set-up. No clue on the speakers yet, but they will for sure be bookshelves (furniture restriction).

I know this is not asked very often, but what receiver will be best for powering just 2 speakers? It will be ran in the phantom mode to simulate a center.

Any suggestions toward receivers or speakers would be helpful. I am restricted to a budget around $750 for the whole combo.

Thanks, in advance

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,718 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted December 25 2006 - 01:42 AM

For stereo, the common suggestions are Onkyo and Harman Kardon. For those with a higher budget, the Outlaw 2150 looks good. It has a subwoofer output with real bass management but costs $649. I'm currently drooling over their 1070 avr.
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   FeisalK

FeisalK

Screenwriter

• 1,245 posts

Posted December 25 2006 - 02:18 AM

calvin,

check out Panasonic XR55 or XR57 DUAL-AMP mode

Posted Image

and this thread about the AV123 x-ls speaker
>
DVD-A registry for hirez/surround audio
Bluray, DVD-Audio, DAD/HDAD, DualDisc, MVI

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   calvin_b

calvin_b

Stunt Coordinator

• 55 posts

Posted December 25 2006 - 09:56 AM

FeisalK, you just pretty much picked my receiver for me Posted Image I was looking for a receiver that I may want to use later on when I upgrade, and as of now, all my components are silver. A smaller receiver is perfect, as well (as space is limited).

So that Dual Amp Drive diagram you attached above isn't a specific way I have to wire it myself, it's just the way the XR55 and XR57's run the speakers, right?

I want to understand this fully: a- you suggested this receiver because it'll drive a 2.1 set-up better than other receivers because of the way it runs in 2-channel mode, and b- since HDMI is video and audio, i need 2 HDMI cables, right? one from the source to the receiver, then from the receiver to the TV? im guessing the HDMI-capable receiver acts as a switcher for a few sources.

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   FeisalK

FeisalK

Screenwriter

• 1,245 posts

Posted December 25 2006 - 02:14 PM

Dual amp drive works without having to rewire anything - in fact it'll work even if you hook up a 5.1 but choose stereo playback (with the XR57 dual amp even works in 5.1 mode)

but if you are running purely in 2.1 you can TRIPLE amp, but this needs bi-wiring - if your speakers support it - how-to is in the receiver manual

Note that the XR57 isn't a switcher it has only one HDMI input and output, and cannot convert video from other inputs.

I'm suggesting it because it sounds great - how do you feel about B&W 802Ds Posted Image
>

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   calvin_b

calvin_b

Stunt Coordinator

• 55 posts

Posted December 25 2006 - 03:16 PM

but if i were to want to run HDMI from my blu-ray player, i have to buy 2 HDMI cables, correct? source -- receiver -- tv.

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   FeisalK

FeisalK

Screenwriter

• 1,245 posts

Posted December 26 2006 - 12:40 AM

yes
>