-

Photo
- - - - -

Which shows are you transferring to DVD from your videotape masters?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

#1 of 33 Michael Alden

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor

• 825 posts

Posted December 22 2006 - 03:58 AM

It was a lot simpler 4 years ago before anyone knew all of this would take off. Anything that wasn't super popular, you just assumed wouldn't come out and you transferred it. Now, you never know what is going to come out. When shows like the Stockard Channing Show, Tabitha, Blue Thunder and Honey West, all shows I had transferred already from either broadcast or film chain masters, come out, it becomes difficult to know. Certain shows are easy because they've already come out in mutated form (Alf, 1st season Cosby Show, any Stephen Cannell series). The tricky part comes with shows that seem to have been abandoned but as Mad About You proves, you can never be sure. Short run stuff by any studio other than Sony seems to be safe. Just curious as to what everyone else is doing.

By the way, remember all of the doomsayers predictions about tape not lasting? Unless you used Brand X crap, or reused the tapes several times, good quality tapes seem to hold up for 25 years at least and look like they were recorded yesterday.

#2 of 33 Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,369 posts

Posted December 22 2006 - 05:35 AM

True, true. I first bought a vcr in late 1983...the original tapes I made still play fine. I very fortunately taped most of "Oh, Madeline," which is a very rare series these days! Now the question is whether I should transfer those vcr tapes to dvd, via my dvr. But my viewing certain comments in this forum, it seems that self-made dvds don't last as long as self-made vcr tapes. (sigh).

But yes, I've gotten rid of LOTS of vcr tapes that I'd made. I threw out all of Popular, 3rd Rock from the Sun, Roswell and several other things as soon as they were sold on dvd. There's lots more space in this house these days, I tell you. And if Melrose Place, Dynasty and 90210 ever get finished on dvd, there's another 110 vcr tapes I can throw out. I have every single episode of those three (about 700+ episodes) taped right off the tv. (I'd love to get rid of them!)

#3 of 33 Rick P

Rick P

Supporting Actor

• 691 posts

Posted December 22 2006 - 06:18 AM

Right now I'm finishing up "She-Wolf of London" (fat chance that ever shows up on a commercial release). Then I attack the KTMA MST3K epsiodes (I finished up ALL the seasons 1-10 eps that Rhino hasn't released about a month ago). Then I must, with care, delve into the box I found in the closet last week (if the labels on the tapes are accurate, I have "Quark", "Herman's Head", "Otherworld", "Misfits of Science" and "The Frantics: Four on the Floor" to look forward to. Now if I could just remember where I put "The Magician" I would be set for a while.

(of course, this doesn't count the 6 300gb drives I have full of edited material from the past year of transferring... oh, for the free time to get it in order)

#4 of 33 Rick P

Rick P

Supporting Actor

• 691 posts

Posted December 22 2006 - 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Riley
But my viewing certain comments in this forum, it seems that self-made dvds don't last as long as self-made vcr tapes. (sigh).

Use quality blanks and you shouldn't have any problems. I use nothing but Tayio Yuden and am quite satisfied. Then again, I also make two backup copies of my 'keepers', and keep ISO images on pull out harddrives (I'm satisfied with TY discs.. but I'm not stupid Posted Image )

#5 of 33 Michael Alden

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor

• 825 posts

Posted December 22 2006 - 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick P
Use quality blanks and you shouldn't have any problems. I use nothing but Tayio Yuden and amd quite satisfied. Then again, I also make two backup copies of my 'keepers', and keep ISO images on pull out harddrives (I'm satisfied with TY discs.. but I'm not stupid Posted Image )

I only use Taiyo Yuden as well and I have never had a problem nor heard of anyone having a problem. You can find them with a little hunting around for around 33 cents a disc, certainly better than the $5 I was paying 4 years ago. At that price there's no reason to buy any other brand and if you don't you won't have a problem.

#6 of 33 Michael Alden

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor

• 825 posts

Posted December 22 2006 - 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Riley
True, true. I first bought a vcr in late 1983...the original tapes I made still play fine. I very fortunately taped most of "Oh, Madeline," which is a very rare series these days! Now the question is whether I should transfer those vcr tapes to dvd, via my dvr. But my viewing certain comments in this forum, it seems that self-made dvds don't last as long as self-made vcr tapes. (sigh).

But yes, I've gotten rid of LOTS of vcr tapes that I'd made. I threw out all of Popular, 3rd Rock from the Sun, Roswell and several other things as soon as they were sold on dvd. There's lots more space in this house these days, I tell you. And if Melrose Place, Dynasty and 90210 ever get finished on dvd, there's another 110 vcr tapes I can throw out. I have every single episode of those three (about 700+ episodes) taped right off the tv. (I'd love to get rid of them!)

Haven't some of those series you mentioned had serious music change issues? When that is the case, I DO use my VHS masters as it becomes the only way to have the original version of the show. I'll sacrifice a bit of quality in order to have the show in it's proper form. So, I wouldn't toss those 90210s and Melroses just yet. If anything, if you're going to discard them I would sell them first.

#7 of 33 Rick P

Rick P

Supporting Actor

• 691 posts

Posted December 22 2006 - 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Alden
I only use Taiyo Yuden as well and I have never had a problem nor heard of anyone having a problem. You can find them with a little hunting around for around 33 cents a disc, certainly better than the $5 I was paying 4 years ago. At that price there's no reason to buy any other brand and if you don't you won't have a problem.

I get my TY Printables from Rima, just ordered 200 this AM for $65 (ok, 32.5 cents a disc) and since Rima is a direct importer of TY, I don't worry about fakes.

#8 of 33 Rick P

Rick P

Supporting Actor

• 691 posts

Posted December 22 2006 - 07:18 AM

Quote:
Haven't some of those series you mentioned had serious music change issues? When that is the case, I DO use my VHS masters as it becomes the only way to have the original version of the show.

You haven't become as obsessive on some things as I have. Take one VHS copy of a show with original music, one personally bought box set with somewhat mulitated music, a couple of DVD-DL discs and some patience with archaeology, level matching, mixing and the black art of authoring and... well, you get the idea....

#9 of 33 Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted December 22 2006 - 07:25 AM

I'm slowly getting Big Guy and Rusty the Boy Robot off the ReplayTV when I have time. I suppose that I might someday get to my tapes of VR.5, although they could be completely unusable by now, for all I know.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#10 of 33 Jonathan Peterson

Jonathan Peterson

Second Unit

• 292 posts

Posted December 22 2006 - 08:06 AM

I wish I had saved them because I had taped every single episode of Wonder Years for the first three seasons. Man, I could kick myself now for not keeping them.

#11 of 33 Chris Minogue

Chris Minogue

Stunt Coordinator

• 89 posts

Posted December 22 2006 - 08:04 PM

I just found (after searching through unlabeled tapes forever) and finished transferring all the episodes of a really obscure (and pretty bad, although I love it) sitcom called 'Hi Honey, I'm Home'. I guarantee you that one will never see a DVD release.

I've also done Picket Fences and Homefront.

I'm currently seeing if I can wrangle up enough episodes of 'I'll Fly Away' to make it worth my while.

I sure wish I was more organized as a child/teen.

I plan to get around to doing 'Daria' someday. With all of the music in that show it will never get a proper release - if any.

#12 of 33 Michael Alden

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor

• 825 posts

Posted December 23 2006 - 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick P
You haven't become as obsessive on some things as I have. Take one VHS copy of a show with original music, one personally bought box set with somewhat mulitated music, a couple of DVD-DL discs and some patience with archaeology, level matching, mixing and the black art of authoring and... well, you get the idea....

Just a matter of picking your issues. After collecting for over 25 years and then inheriting the collection of a late friend who recorded virtually everything that aired in the 80s and 90s, I cannot realistically devote that much time and energy to a single show. As it is now, when I'm home I have 4 DVD recorders going, 3 from SVHS and 1 from either Beta or 3/4. Is that obsessive enough?

#13 of 33 Carlos Garcia

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter

• 1,065 posts

Posted December 23 2006 - 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Minogue
I just found (after searching through unlabeled tapes forever) and finished transferring all the episodes of a really obscure (and pretty bad, although I love it) sitcom called 'Hi Honey, I'm Home'. I guarantee you that one will never see a DVD release.

I've also done Picket Fences and Homefront.

I'm currently seeing if I can wrangle up enough episodes of 'I'll Fly Away' to make it worth my while.

I sure wish I was more organized as a child/teen.

I plan to get around to doing 'Daria' someday. With all of the music in that show it will never get a proper release - if any.

Chris, please check your private messages, I have an important question. Thanks.
I'm a classic TV fan. Widescreen? What's that?

#14 of 33 MishaLauenstein

MishaLauenstein

Supporting Actor

• 573 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted December 23 2006 - 05:44 AM

Finally started this massive project (600 tapes, 6-10 hours each, 70% unlabeled)

Land of The Lost 1991
Back to the Future (The Animated Series)
The New WKRP in Cincinatii
Grapevine (both seasons)
Human Target
Spy Game
The New Liars Club (just my episode)
final episodes of Another World and Santa Barbara

and I've got a dozen tapes of I Spy and Soap to search through for scenes that might be missing from the DVD releases.

and who knows what I'll find on many of those unlabeled tapes
40% Ben Katz + 30% Bobby Hill (Texas) + 20% Monica Geller + 10% William Dent. (Wardrobe by George Costanza)

#15 of 33 Bert Greene

Bert Greene

Second Unit

• 408 posts

Posted December 23 2006 - 08:37 AM

Gosh, I haven't even gotten a dvd-recorder yet. I've been tempted a number of times, with the intention of transferring some of my hundreds of old videotapes. But each time I've come close to endeavoring this, I've gotten spooked by stories of degrading dvd-r's. Plus, maybe I'm just being lazy. Back in the 80's, I devoted so much time recording things. I'd often get up in the middle of the night to tape items manually, so I could edit out commercials. It was a nice hobby, and I'm glad I saved so many now-rare items for re-watching... but I probably was too obsessive about it, taping a lot of things that actually become quite commonplace.

Sometimes it was hard to decide 'what' to tape back then. It might seem obvious, now in retrospect, but at the time 20-25 years ago, who really knew that "Twilight Zone" and "Dick Van Dyke Show" would become very common rerun staples (and even eventually become easily obtainable dvd items), yet series like "Ben Casey" or "Life of Riley" would basically disappear for two decades, never to return?

Anyway, I guess I'll eventually get on the bandwagon, and transfer some of my tapes. My biggest priority will probably be the 119 episodes of "Route 66." Then, an assortment of old shows like "Burns and Allen," "Stoney Burke," and such. Not to mention a ton of old movies that appeared on late-shows, with original local commercials intact.

#16 of 33 Kevin L McCorry

Kevin L McCorry

Second Unit

• 271 posts

Posted December 23 2006 - 02:33 PM

The Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Hour - all 26 Season 1 episodes
Inspector cartoons from The Pink Panther Show
Rocket Robin Hood - select episodes
and a few Doctor Who serials not expected to reach DVD for many more years.

#17 of 33 Rick P

Rick P

Supporting Actor

• 691 posts

Posted December 23 2006 - 09:05 PM

Quote:
As it is now, when I'm home I have 4 DVD recorders going, 3 from SVHS and 1 from either Beta or 3/4. Is that obsessive enough?

Ahem... you win... (but I have 3 SLHF750's doing most of mine... yes, I was/am a betaphile)

#18 of 33 Sky King

Sky King

Stunt Coordinator

• 60 posts

Posted December 23 2006 - 11:57 PM

My first videotape recorder was a Sony Betamax which I bought in May of 1980. Those 1980 videotapes still play just fine thanks to proper storage and the use of a quality brand tape Fuji.
I still have a Betamax player, unfortunately the original Sony died in 1988.
I don't have any specific TV show episodes in great numbers, just a scattering of shows I found interesting.
Some of the Betamax stuff includes:

Live CNN broadcast of the Challenger explosion...just happened to be running tape that morning.
Walter Cronkite's last news broadcast.
"Who Shot JR" episode of Dallas.
Many "Bloopers and Practical Jokes" shows.

I also kept all commercials that aired with the network programs I taped.

Needess to say with all the Betamax and subsequent VHS tapes I've recorded over the years, my DVD recorder will be busy for some time to come.
" In God we trust...all others pay cash." (Jean Shepherd)

#19 of 33 Ron Lee Green

Ron Lee Green

Supporting Actor

• 586 posts

Posted December 24 2006 - 12:47 AM

I bought a dvd recorder 2 years ago. I started transferring all my "Here's Lucy" tapes to dvd in order without commercials. I'm still not finished. I only made it halfway so far, but its a long process and the novelty has worn off. I also transferred the last four years of Bewitched this was before the first season dvd release), but it looks like eventually Sony will release the whole show.
I haven't transferred anything lately. I think what has happened is that so many of my favorite shows are getting official dvd releases.
Also, on another forum, there is a trading post where members can trade dvds with one another. One can find complete series of almost every tv show ever made not yet on dvd, and some have fancy menus. For example, I got the entire Beverly Hillbillies series this way, and it would have taken me forever if I recorded it myself. I don't know if this is considered bootleg as long as you are trading and not buying.
"Congratulations. You're still in the running towards becoming America's Next Top Model."

#20 of 33 Ric Easton

Ric Easton

Screenwriter

• 2,814 posts

Posted December 24 2006 - 02:01 AM

If I ever get a recorder, Max Headroom is going on it. I fear it'll never be released on DVD. I've got a burner on my computer, but wouldn't know where to start porting it over.

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow