What's new

Glitch on More Silly Symphonies DVD? (1 Viewer)

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Kilbride
There is some blocking right above the tumbling cats at 2:06 into More Kittens when played on my Sony. There are several white blocks in a row and some displaced gray which appears to be from the paint depicting the motion blur of the cats. Can you guys please check and see if you have this problem? I want to know if it was badly mastered or if I have a bad disk.

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Kilbride
Please, can someone check? I don't want to exchange it unless absolutely necessary.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Hi, Rob--I checked my disc. I saw the same blocking. I guess they're all like that.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Oh no...I really took a better look at the set after seeing this thread. I haven't looked at the B&W disc yet, but EVERY SINGLE CARTOON on the color disc is CROOKED!!! Do you all see this? Everything is slanted just a little to the right...it's a weird framing problem. The weirdest ever. This disc should be recalled and replaced by Disney immediately!!!

Kris Z.

Stunt Coordinator
Crooked? That certainly sounds unusual, any chance you could take a screenshot of the problem?

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Kilbride
Oh well at least I won't have to return it. Now it's 3 out of the 6 waves have at least one set that is disappointing in some way. In the first Silly Symphonies, Three Little Pigs is cut and changed. Yes I know it was done at Walt's request, but it is not uncut. Non-anamorphic widescreen on Rarities, and now blocking on More Kittens and crooked framing seem to plague the More Silly Symphonies disk. I'm sure someone will probably point out problems with other waves.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Actually, Donald Duck Vol. 1 has problems. About 1/2 of the shorts have audio pops that were caused by a faulty transfer.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
It's not just cannibal capers...it's every single cartoon on the set! I checked the first disc and sure enough--crooked framing throughout. I've never seen such a botched framing job in my life. Hello--this is 2006! Can't we make good dvds yet??

I seriously can't figure out how to post screen caps in this forum. Do you have to have the pics hosted somewhere? Oh, what a pain that always is; then, five of you will view the picture here and after that it will say "bandwidth exceeded."

Jeremy_Z

Agent
I just scanned through both discs (not every cartoon) and the only one that looked misframed to me was cannibal capers. Certainly not everything on the set.

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
Anyone notice that THE GODDESS OF SPRING is the old transfer found on the SNOW WHITE Laserdisc set - and not the cleaner, brighter version glimpsed in excerpts in the Silly Symphonies featurette on disc 2? Or that the end title in THE MOTH AND THE FLAME changes its windowboxing ratio in the middle of a shot?

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
[url=https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/2/24/htf_imgcache_4246.jpeg] [/url]

Okay; hopefully the bandwidth won't run down too soon on this pic. I think you have to click on it to see it. Anyway, you'll notice beneath the cat there is a jaggedy little hook. It was hardly noticeable when I watched the dvd on the computer, but it was huge on my tv, and there was also another one at top that was equally as noticeable. I think for some reason my dvd player is showing too much of the image; notice the black frame around the entire screencap; that's their framing, not mine.

However, I do feel that this whole set has some weird framing choices throughout. I notice the Goddess of Spring has a tighter frame; I suppose that's because they used what they already had from the Snow White dvd?? The rest of the cartoons do not have a uniform framing scheme; they're all different and trying to compensate for the various framings used in the original cartoons. My dvd player shows lots of obnoxious framing. I don't know why; is it the dvd settings??

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
This set looks fantastic and would be a bargain at twice the price. I don't mind the slight window boxing on most of the shorts even if it exposes imperfect frame edges. It looks to me like more effort went into these transfers than for those in the Pluto Vol. 2 set, and they both look far better than the Rarities and Donald Duck Vol. 2 sets from last year.

Regards,

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
I don't know why you're even seeing those. Those are the half-lines at top and bottom of an NTSC picture, but they shouldn't even be present on a DVD, because they cut off three lines out of 483 to get the 480-line field : the top line and bottom half-line in the first field, and the top half-line and bottom line in the second field, as I recall. Has this been scaled down from a composite master?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks