Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A few words about...™ Kingdom of Heaven -- in BD

A Few Words About

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 of 15 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Lead Actor

• 7,598 posts

Posted December 20 2006 - 03:08 PM

When Ridley Scott creates a world on film, you know that you're in for a treat.

In the Director's Cut of Kingdom of Heaven, a work that seemed less than stellar in theatrical release, took on an entirely new life.

When released as a beautiful SD transfer, I personally couldn't wait to see what Fox would do with this in high defintion.

Now in BD, Kingdom of Heaven is everything that I hoped it would be.

Miraculously beautiful, and a perfect work of compression and authoring, Kingdom of Heaven is one of the highest ranking members of my Best DVD List of 2006.

Home theater of this quality would have been unimaginable a decade ago.

Kingdom of Heaven in BD is Extremely Highly Recommended. My praise of this disc could only be higher if Fox had included the myriad of extras on their recent SD special edition.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#2 of 15 OFFLINE   Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor

• 8,341 posts

Posted December 20 2006 - 05:01 PM

From the moment I popped in this disk and the menu was playing, I knew that the presentation would be phenomenal and yes, the DC brings a new life to this film. A must have for me.
Click and enter " T H E . H O L O D E C K "
---------------------------------------------------------
My Home Theatre "The Holodeck"

#3 of 15 OFFLINE   Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter

• 1,825 posts

Posted December 20 2006 - 05:17 PM

I watched this a couple weekends ago and have to agree it looked stellar. There was a scene where I thought I saw mosquito noise and then realized it was sand blowing!

It was the first Blu-Ray I watched, so now I'm afraid I've set the bar high for the rest. Devil Wears Prada is my next planned Blu viewing, which I hear does not disappoint as well.

As far as the film, I found I liked it more after I thought about it for a couple days. I never saw the theatrical cut, or I suspect I may have appreciated the DC even more.

Now if we could only get some more Scott on Blu.....Alien would be VERY nice.
My DVD, Blu-Ray and HD DVD Collection @ DVDSpot

#4 of 15 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,536 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted December 21 2006 - 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Harris
My praise of this disc could only be higher if Fox had included the myriad of extras on their recent SD special edition.

RAH

Indeed. Which is why I used a $10 coupon and picked up the SD special edition after watching the Blu-ray Disc. So now I have a 5-disc special edition in both SD and HD! Posted Image

Thanks for the review!

- Steve

#5 of 15 OFFLINE   Dave Mack

Dave Mack

Producer

• 4,665 posts

Posted December 21 2006 - 07:56 AM

sounds great!
Should arrive from netflix today. PS3 should also arrive today, but this IS UPS we're talking about...

#6 of 15 OFFLINE   DavidDTS

DavidDTS

Agent

• 35 posts

Posted December 21 2006 - 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Harris
When Ridley Scott creates a world on film, you know that you're in for a treat.

In the Director's Cut of Kingdom of Heaven, a work that seemed less than stellar in theatrical release, took on an entirely new life.

When released as a beautiful SD transfer, I personally couldn't wait to see what Fox would do with this in high defintion.

Now in BD, Kingdom of Heaven is everything that I hoped it would be.

Miraculously beautiful, and a perfect work of compression and authoring, Kingdom of Heaven is one of the highest ranking members of my Best DVD List of 2006.

Home theater of this quality would have been unimaginable a decade ago.

Kingdom of Heaven in BD is Extremely Highly Recommended. My praise of this disc could only be higher if Fox had included the myriad of extras on their recent SD special edition.

RAH

Mr. Harris- any idea why Fox left out the Overture and Intermission that was on the 4-disc standard version?

#7 of 15 OFFLINE   Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair

Producer

• 3,320 posts

Posted December 21 2006 - 11:50 AM

Sounds Yummy!
Happy Holidays, Mr. Harris.
Movies are: "The Greatest Artform".
HD should be for EVERYONE!

#8 of 15 OFFLINE   Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter

• 1,825 posts

Posted December 21 2006 - 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidDTS
Mr. Harris- any idea why Fox left out the Overture and Intermission that was on the 4-disc standard version?

I'd love to hear an official answer. If I had to guess it's because that intermission was created specifically for the DC DVD set and never appeared in theaters. Since the movie is all on one disc for Blu-Ray they probably deemed it unnecessary. At about 3h10m, I'm not sure they'd really need it. I never felt like I needed a break.

#9 of 15 OFFLINE   Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted December 21 2006 - 04:33 PM

So I take it the BD is the DC?
You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#10 of 15 OFFLINE   Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor

• 8,341 posts

Posted December 21 2006 - 04:45 PM

It is the director's cut!
Click and enter " T H E . H O L O D E C K "
---------------------------------------------------------
My Home Theatre "The Holodeck"

#11 of 15 OFFLINE   Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted December 22 2006 - 02:01 AM

Cool! I'll pick it up. Plus, Eva Green in HD...yummy!
You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#12 of 15 OFFLINE   ppltd

ppltd

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted December 22 2006 - 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidDTS

I picked up this release myself, and while I did not like the theatrical release of this movie much I had more mope for the BD release's Director's Cut.

I had been led to believe that this was to be a show piece release from Fox, but only a trailer as a bonus feature makes it a bit of a dissapointment. What a waste of all that data space.
Thomas Eisenmann(Last updated 09/30/11)

Blu-Ray Collection  DVD Collection, Numerous BD players,

LG 55LX6500 55-Inch 3D 1080p 240 Hz LED

Pioneer VSX-94TXH, Panasonic PT-AE7000U 3D 1080p (PT-AE8000 Just Ordered, 

1124 BDs and going up, 1028 - DVDs and going down.

#13 of 15 OFFLINE   Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter

• 1,825 posts

Posted December 22 2006 - 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppltd
I picked up this release myself, and while I did not like the theatrical release of this movie much I had more mope for the BD release's Director's Cut.

I had been led to believe that this was to be a show piece release from Fox, but only a trailer as a bonus feature makes it a bit of a dissapointment. What a waste of all that data space.

They may have actually needed most of the space for the movie. Most of the Fox BD's are MPEG2 @ 18Mbps, or in some cases AVC @ 18 Mbps. Since KoH is MPEG2 @ 24Mbps, along with it being on of their longest BD titles, and I would guess they used most of the disk's capacity on the feature.

If that's what it takes to get the kind of PQ KoH has, great. But this could have been an awesome 2-disc BD set.

#14 of 15 OFFLINE   greg.shoemaker

greg.shoemaker

Agent

• 30 posts

Posted February 03 2012 - 11:03 AM

Let me get this straight: The Director's Cut DVD has an overture, intermission and entr'acte. The Director's Cut Blu-ray has none of the above. So it is not the director's cut. Why is it promoted as such? I purchased the Blu-ray edition, thinking, as a consumer of the DVD release, that it would be the same version, only mastered for Blu-ray. It does state "Directors' Cut,” doesn't it? False advertising. Law suit? I am being facetious here, but obviously when it comes to easily consumable visual media, an anything goes attitude exists in the minds of the studios releasing this product. Give me a break. I am tired of spending my hard earned dollars only to learn that a DVD/Blu-ray release of a title, with advertising text emblazoned on the front of the keepcase indicating director's cut or special edition, is not indicative of what a buyer is actually purchasing! Witness the 1776 DVD debacle. So caveat emptor. In 2012? Greg

#15 of 15 OFFLINE   willyTass

willyTass

Second Unit

• 353 posts

Posted February 03 2012 - 11:47 AM

Greg, Amazon Italy has the Roadshow version of KIngdom of Heaven BLU RAY -- there its called Le Crociate released by Medusa video (do not get the italian Blu ray released by fox !!) Its an AVC encode and looks better in motion than the US blu ray (mpeg 2) The Italian Blu Ray was released a few months back and has the overture, intermission and entr'acte. Screencaps can be seen at caps-a-holic

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow