What's new

My neighbors don't hear a thing! (1 Viewer)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I was testing out my HT system with Batman Begins and my Dayton 10" caused an earthquake in my house. :D Right after that, I made a courtesy call to both of my next-door neighbors and asked them if they felt or heard anything. "Nope, didn't hear a thing."

Life is good. :D

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
I've done that a few times, but not recently. I once got my system up to 116 dbs, measured at my seat - as much as I could stand - and no one complained. I know people can hear my system outside my house at much more moderate levels. But I've never done this at night when I probably would have received complaints.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I can't imagine a next door neighbor being able to hear anything. I live in a condo end unit and when I moved in, the condo next to me was empty, so I cranked up the pod race in Star Wars ep. I - My condo was Rockin! and from next door, the only thing you could make out was the bass, but even then, it was nothing more than what you'd think was traffic going by. Just a slight rumble.

Since my neighbor has moved in, I've turned the bass down a little, but it's still pretty loud. He says he can't hear a thing from me. :emoji_thumbsup:

So if you could barely hear that next door to a condo unit, I can't imagine hearing much next to a house.

In fact, I lived in a mother-in-law apartment that was off the garage of my parents home. I used to crank the HT system there and my parents never noticed anything. In fact, we used to have band practice in the basement and my mom said she could kind of hear the bass, but not much.

I would expect that even though the bass rocked your home, the sound waves aren't going to travel through the ground to your neighbors house. I would imagine that if they were to hear anything, it would be felt through the ground and not through the air.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I was mainly concerned about ground movement, not the sound from the speakers. A friend of mine that lives in a house used to have neighbors with a system that made his wall shake.

Jim_F

Screenwriter
I was pleasantly surprised when I tried to hear my system (which includes an SVS 20-39 and dual Buttkickers) from right outside my front window. I could hear it, but the drone from the nearest busy street was louder.

I checked with my neighbor just in case, as I work nights and sometimes "forget" that it's 3 AM. He said he's never heard anything, and can't even tell when I'm home. :cool:

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
I rarely use my sub nowadays since I live in a apartment highrise. Sometimes, during the day I'll give it a slight workout but I never get much carried away, I don't need anymore noise complaints like I had last year.

I actually like listening to music in multichannel more than I do cranking the bass. Must be an age thing....

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
LOL - I'm with you there, but I also think the novelty of the sub is what's worn off on me. When I first got one (years ago) I used to LOVE to crank it, but now, the sub almost seems to annoy me more so than anything.

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
Yeah, I hear ya. I'm always worried that my neighbors are going to complain so I pretty much just leave it off. I actually enjoy the music more, probably just because I know there won't be a knock on my door.

harryk

Auditioning
Real Name
Harrold
yea living close to people cuts down on my late night sound tests :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks