What's new

Is XBox 360 the way to go? (1 Viewer)

JayKellen

Stunt Coordinator
I posted just a while ago regarding the optical and component connections for the XBox 360, and forgot to ask if I were to purchase one, what exactly would I need to buy?...I do not get into online gaming, but want the 399.99 system since it has the component cables and wireless controllers, but are there other things I would need to buy as well?....Do I need the recharger for the controllers too?...Are the component cables that come with the system good or should I buy a better brand?...Do I need a particular optical cable for the digital sound?....What games are must have other than Gears of War and Dead Rising?....Any advice or help with my purchase would be appreciated....thanks!

Gabriel.H

Stunt Coordinator
As far as I know any optical cable should be fine. I use the Monster Game component and optical cables, but I bought them purely for looks not performance, the cables that come with the system should be enough imho! As far as must have games....project gotham 3 for sure if you're a racing fan.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
The component cables that come with the system are fine. Also any optical cable should suit you too. I've never been one to see or hear any difference between 'average' priced cables and 'premium' ones.

As for what you need beyond what comes in the $399 box:

Definately pick up a 'battery pack' and charger. You'll more than pay for it by not having to replace the 'AA' batteries all the time. I bought the recharing unit that plugs into the wall and can charge two battery packs at once. It's $29.99 and comes with a battery pack. Well worth it. I prefer this to the chargers that you plug into the 360 console because I don't want cables cluttering up my living room.

Get yourself a second controller if there is the possibility of anyone else playing with you. Also if you do, pick up 2nd battery pack for $12.

You'll love the wireless controllers. Great for sitting back on the couch or in your favorite chair while gaming. If you will have this hooked up in your living room like I do, it also makes the entire setup clutter free. No more cables! You can also turn the machine on and off with the wireless controller -- nice!

As far as games, Gears of War and Dead Rising are great. But definately pick up Call of Duty 2. Call of Duty 3 is great too, but in some ways I prefer Call of Duty 2. You can always get Call of Duty 3 later (that would be better than playing 3 then going back to 2).

What kind of games are you into? We have:

Call of Duty 2 & 3 : Awesome!
Madden 06 : Nice, but get '07 if you are into football
NCAA 07 : Also good game
Top Spin 2 : Great visuals, but unless you are a tennis freak, it can get boring
Test Drive Unlimited : OK if you can find it discounted
Perfect Dark Zero : I probably wouldn't buy again, even at $29
Star Wars Lego II Original Trilogy : Great Fun

As for going online. It is well worth the subscription price to get online with Xbox Live. Games like Call of Duty are amazing online. You should get a free limited-time subscription to Xbox Live Gold with the system. That will allow you to play online until it expires. You get a lifetime subscription to Xbox Live Silver free with the system. That's cool because it allows you to download game demos (but not play online). You'll find you can spend a lot of time just playing demos.

Enjoy your system!

Neal_C

Second Unit
If you have Sams club near you and are a member, you can get the Intercooler (which makes my 360 run ice cold even after 6 or 7 straight hours), 4 spare rechargeable batteries, the wall charger that charges 2 batteries at the same time and a faceplate (limited selection) for 48 bucks.

I was looking into the Intercooler and spare batteries anyway and stumbled on this. Pretty good deal.

Definitely going to want an extra controller if you are going to have anyone else playing with you.

As far as must have games, thats up to you really.

Arthur Legardo

Second Unit
Real Name
ArthurL
The Nyko Intercooler? I wouldn't, many people have attributed the premature death of the 360's to the use of the Intercooler.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Just put your 360 where it will get plenty of airflow and you'll be fine without any 'add-on' cooling units.

Neal_C

Second Unit
So what exactly could the intercooler be doing to the 360 to cause failure?

I can't imagine anyway that if my 360 died that I could attribute it to that. It just snaps on. Pulls all the heat away from the 360.

By the way, I don't want to get this off topic about the intercooler. My original post was meant to inform Jay that if he had a Sams nearby he could get all that stuff at a good price. Gabriel had already recommended additional batteries and a charger. But by the time you pay for those, you could practically get the intercooler and a face plate for free in this package.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Supposedly the electrical passthrough of the intercooler introduces dirty power to the Xbox 360, and isn't a good thing for the console in the long run. I've read too many horror stories about the intercooler to put it on my own Xbox 360.

Mike~Sileck

Supporting Actor
Definitely stay away from the intercooler....

Keep your 360 well ventilated and you will be fine. Trust me. No carpets, or enclosed cabinets without airflow. No need for add ons.

The component cables it comes with work stellar. Any optical of your choice will work just fine.

The 360 is a TON of fun, and you will inevitably get the urge to play online. Add me as a friend!

My Gamertag is CarpeD1em500

Gears of War is amazing
Dead Rising
Tiger Woods 07
SD vs. Raw 07
All of the "Burger King" games

and many, many more

Enjoy gaming!

Neal_C

Second Unit
Well knock on wood but I haven't had any problems with the Intercooler yet. I'll check the back of the system periodically though just to make sure. I haven't had any of the symptoms that seem to lead up to failure.

Sometimes you have to take these reports and realize that with anything, if there is a problem, you are going to hear about it. If there isn't, you aren't going to see a rash of people saying anything.

I'm not saying there isn't a problem. Obviously, its an electrical component. There are going to be problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks