What's new

New 150 episode "Ultimate TV Westerns" from Mill Creek, incl "Pistols & Petticoats" (1 Viewer)

docdoowop

Second Unit
Real Name
Curt
Not broken down into episodes per title:

Format 12 DVD
Street Date Tuesday, January 16, 2007
MSRP 29.98

Synopsis: Welcome to the greatest compilation of TV western shows ever assembled. 29 thrilling series, 150 complete episodes, over 70 hours of family entertainment on 12 double-sided DVDs.
Included:

1. Adventures of Champion, The
2. Adventures of Jim Bowie, The
3. Adventures of Kit Carson, The
4. Annie Oakley
5. Bat Masterson
6. Bonanza
7. Buffalo Bill Jr.
8. Cisco Kid, The
9. Cowboy G-Men
10. Death Valley Days
11. Deputy, The
12. Frontier Doctor
13. Fury
14. Gabby Hayes Show, The
15. Hawkeye and the Last of the Mohicans
16. Hudson's Bay
17. Judge Roy Bean
18. Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp, The
19. Lone Ranger, The
20. Northwest Passage
21. Pistols 'N' Petticoats
22. Range Rider, The
23. Rifleman, The
24. Roy Rogers Show, The
25. Sergeant Preston of the Yukon
26. Shotgun Slade
27. Stories of the Century
28. Twenty-six Men
29. Wagon Train

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
docdoowop, is there an episode listing for this set? While I'm 99.9% sure that this is public domain material, much of which has already been released by other companies, there are a few shows listed like "Pistols 'N' Petticoats and "Hudson's Bay" that I haven't seen elsewhere.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Interesting that the TV Western, Gunsmoke isn't listed- I guess Paramount kept up with all its copyrights regarding that property! So why not season sets?

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I've amassed a good cross section of almost all the Westerns on this set via CC and Alpha, but it's still something I'd be interested in.

Gary "I'd like to see the individual episodes listed as well" O.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
I don't think I've ever seen an episode of this, but I recognize the name. I did a google search to jog my memory.
Pistols 'N' Petticoats:
Set in the 1870s frontier town of Wretched, Colorado, this western comedy followed the crackshot Hanks family--widow Henrietta, her feisty parents, and Henrietta's city-raised, non-violent daughter, Lucy--as they helped keep the peace in the wild, wild West. Ann Sheridan, Douglas Fowley, Carole Wells, Ruth McDevitt and Gary Vinson were featured in this 1966-67 CBS series.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Pistols was Ann Sheridan's farewell role if I remember correctly. She passed away during production of this show.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
It'll be interesting to eventually see what the episode titles are for this collection which, again, I'm assuming is a collection of public domain episodes. Some of these series, like "Bat Masterson," "The Deputy," "The Rifleman" and "Wagon Train" have only two or three episodes in the public domain while a series like "Bonanza" has 31 episodes. One of the series listed, "Stories of the Century," is completely in the public domain, all 39 episodes. I'll take an educated guess here and say that certain series in this package are going to have far more episodes included than others. Like Gary OS, I have episodes of most of these series courtesy of other PD releases, but I'm intrigued by a few that are apparently being released for the first time on a commercially available DVD. It's also a nice blend of early 1950s Westerns that were produced for a juvenile audience (and really were shorter versions of the B-Westerns of the 30s and 40s) and the emergence of the adult Western in the mid 1950s.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
I never buy these TV series compilations, and I'm surprised there are still people who do! :)

Pistols N' Petticoats doesn't even belong in that collection, because it's a sitcom. I've never seen it, and I'm not sure I'd want to. It sounds like The Beverly Hillbillies set in the old west, with Ann Sheridan playing a "Granny" style role.

Of the handful of quality western series that deserve to be released as full seasons of their own (and with the exception of The Rifleman probably never will be) include Wagon Train, BONANZA, Death Valley Days, and The Deputy.

The Deputy was unique for a western in its use of cool jazzy musical scores...but not its conventional stories. It's also one of the few TV series to feature Henry Fonda as a regular even though he's not in every episode.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
This is not available for pre-order yet via Amazon, although they do have a page for the dvd. Can't find it at DDD.

Gary "if I have to I'll buy it direct from Mill Creek, but I prefer to buy either from a b&m store or a place like Amazon or DDD" O.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Gary, I picked up Mill Creek's 1954 "Sherlock Holmes" series at Best Buy b&m so, presumably, BB will carry it, though it's not yet showing at BB's web site.

Chas_Michael

Second Unit
Ultimate TV Westerns episode listing.
Enjoy!

Ultimate TV Westerns – 150 Episodes

Item # MV50549 – UPC # 683904505491

Disc 1A

Annie Oakley – Starring Gail Davis, Jimmy Hawkins, Brad Johnson

(1954 – 1956) B&W 30 Minute episodes Unrated

One of the fastest guns in the west, Annie Oakley used her skills to help her friend, Deputy Sheriff Lofty Craig, maintain the peace in the town of Diablo. Along on her adventures, Annie’s little brother Tagg was sometimes as much of a cause of trouble as he was an aid to Annie and Deputy Craig.

Episodes:

1. Annie and the Chinese Puzzle

2. Annie and the Silver Ace

3. Annie meets some Tenderfeet

4. Annie’s Desert Adventure

5. The Saga of Clement O’Toole

6. The Waco Kid

Disc 1B

Adventures of Jim Bowie, The – Starring Scott Forbes, Robert Cornthwaite, Peter Hansen

(1956 – 1958) B&W 30 Minute episodes Unrated

This 50’s television series centered on Jim Bowie, Alamo hero and inventor of the knife, which bears his name. The tales take place in Louisiana in the early 1800’s with Bowie traveling around New Orleans and the bayou country, meeting family and friends while also righting wrongs.

Episodes:

1. An Adventure with Audubon

2. Birth of the Blade

3. Land Jumpers

4. The Secessionist

5. The Squatters

6. Trapline

Disc 2A

Cisco Kid, The – Starring Duncan Renaldo, Leo Carrillo

(1950 - 1956) Color 30 Minute episodes Unrated

This classic western series was the first to be filmed in color, even though the majority of television sets in the country were black and white. The show presented the tales of The Cisco Kid (Duncan Renaldo) and his trusty sidekick Pancho (Leo Carrillo) as they traveled about the West, coming to the aid of those in need of it. One of the most interesting aspects about this program is the fact the main characters were Hispanic and presented in a positive manner, making it unique since most programming on television at the time featured Caucasian performers presenting shows geared toward a Caucasian audience.

Episodes:

1. Confession for Money

2. Freight Line Feud

3. Lynching Story

4. Newspaper Crusaders

5. Ghost Town

6. Spanish Dagger

7. Dog Story

8. Medicine Flats

Disc 2B

Cisco Kid, The – Starring Duncan Renaldo, Leo Carrillo

(1950 - 1956) Color 30 Minute episodes Unrated

This classic western series was the first to be filmed in color, even though the majority of television sets in the country were black and white. The show presented the tales of The Cisco Kid (Duncan Renaldo) and his trusty sidekick Pancho (Leo Carrillo) as they traveled about the West, coming to the aid of those in need of it. One of the most interesting aspects about this program is the fact the main characters were Hispanic and presented in a positive manner, making it unique since most programming on television at the time featured Caucasian performers presenting shows geared toward a Caucasian audience.

Episodes:

1. Oil Land

2. Phoney Sheriff

3. Stolen Bonds

4. The Old Bum

Death Valley Days – Starring Stanley Andrews, Jim Davis, Nancy Hale

(1952 - 1975) B&W 30 Minute episodes Unrated

This long-running classic western series featured tales from the area surrounding Death Valley, California. Check out these exciting adventures brought to you through stories narrated by The Old Ranger (Stanley Andrews).

Episodes:

1. Dear Teacher

2. Sego Lillies

3. Little Washington

Disc 3A

Gabby Hayes Show, The – Starring Gabby Hayes

(1956) B&W 30 Minute episodes Unrated

Everyone's favorite western sidekick Gabby Hayes brings you tales from the old west in this 1950's TV series. Gabby sits on his porch, whittling away, while he spins his yarns about ropin' and ridin'. Gabby's stories of western adventure are sure to entertain young and old alike!

Disc 3B

Cowboy G-Men – Starring Russell Hayden, Jackie Coogan

(1952) B&W 30 Minute episodes Unrated

Watch the exciting adventures of Pat Gallagher (Russell Hayden) and Stoney Crockett (Jackie Coogan), government agents with a mission to bring peace and justice to the West. Pat and Stoney travel far and wide, facing all kinds of danger and outlaws gunning to stop them.

Episodes:

1. Empty Mailbags

2. Ozark Gold

3. Bounty Jumpers

4. Chinaman’s Chance

5. High Heeled Boots

Frontier Doctor – Starring Rex Allen

(1958) B&W 30 Minute episodes Unrated

Harken back to the days of the Old West where a hero can be found in the most unlikely of places. In the town of Rising Springs, Arizona, the hero of the territory turns out to be Bill Baxter, the town doctor. Dr. Baxter not only cures the ills of his fellow townspeople, but also aids the law in bringing justice to those on the side of lawlessness.

Episodes:

1. The Outlaw Legion

2. Queen of Cimarron

3. A Twisted Road

Disc 4A

Roy Rogers Show, The – Starring Roy Rogers, Dale Evans, Pat Brady

(1951 – 1957) B&W 30 Minute episodes Unrated

Travel back to those early days of television to the Double R Ranch, where you will find America’s favorite singing cowboy Roy Rogers. Re-live the exciting adventures of Roy, his horse Trigger and his faithful dog Bullet, as they work their ranch with the lovely Dale Evans and her horse Buttermilk. Don’t forget trusty Pat Brady and his jeep Nellybelle, who were always up for fun and adventure with Roy and Dale.

Episodes:

1. Lady Killer

2. Phantom Rustlers

3. Death Medicine

4. Ghost Town Gold

5. The Big Chance

6. Badman’s Brother

7. The Secret of Indian Gap

Disc 4B

Roy Rogers Show, The – Starring Roy Rogers, Dale Evans, Pat Brady

(1951 – 1957) B&W 30 Minute episodes Unrated

Travel back to those early days of television to the Double R Ranch, where you will find America’s favorite singing cowboy Roy Rogers. Re-live the exciting adventures of Roy, his horse Trigger and his faithful dog Bullet, as they work their ranch with the lovely Dale Evans and her horse Buttermilk. Don’t forget trusty Pat Brady and his jeep Nellybelle, who were always up for fun and adventure with Roy and Dale.

Episodes:

1. Flying Bullets

2. The Knockout

3. Blind Justice

4. Loaded Guns

5. Run-A-Round

6. Money to Burn

7. Milliner from Medicine Creek

8. Outlaws of Paradise Valley

Disc 5A

Lone Ranger, The – Starring Clayton Moore, Jay Silverheels

(1949 - 1956) B&W 30 Minute episodes Unrated

This classic radio show was brought to television in the late 1940’s and was a favorite of children and adults alike. Starring Clayton Moore as the masked man and Jay Silverheels as the faithful sidekick Tonto. The story concerns a Texas Ranger who was the only survivor of an ambush and is nursed back to health by his friend, Tonto. After his recovery from his injuries, the Ranger decides to dedicate his life to bring justice and peace to the West. Using the benefits from a secret silver mine, the Lone Ranger rides the West on his horse, Silver, and dispenses justice in the form of his trademark, the silver bullet.

Episodes:

1. Enter the Lone Ranger and Tonto: Part One

2. Enter the Lone Ranger and Tonto: Part Two

3. Cannonball McKay

4. Legion of Old Timers

5. Old Joe’s Sister

6. The Renegades

7 Finders Keepers

8. High Heels

Disc 5B

Lone Ranger, The – Starring Clayton Moore, Jay Silverheels

(1949 - 1956) B&W 30 Minute episodes Unrated

This classic radio show was brought to television in the late 1940’s and was a favorite of children and adults alike. Starring Clayton Moore as the masked man and Jay Silverheels as the faithful sidekick Tonto. The story concerns a Texas Ranger who was the only survivor of an ambush and is nursed back to health by his friend, Tonto. After his recovery from his injuries, the Ranger decides to dedicate his life to bring justice and peace to the West. Using the benefits from a secret silver mine, the Lone Ranger rides the West on his horse, Silver, and dispenses justice in the form of his trademark, the silver bullet.

Episodes:

1. Masked Rider

2. Message from Abe

3. Pete and Pedro

4. Return of the Convict

5 Rustler’s Hideout

6. Six Gun’s Legacy

7. The Tenderfeet

Disc 6A

Judge Roy Bean – Starring Edgar Buchanan, Jackie Loughery, Jack Beutel

(1956) Color 30 Minute episodes Unrated

This classic TV Western from the 1950s stars Edgar Buchanan as Judge Roy Bean, “The Only Law West of the Pecos”! Bringing his own brand of fair and honest judgment to the town of Langtry, Judge Bean set out to rein in the lawlessness in the territory.

Episodes:

1. Checkmate

2. Murder in Langtry

3. Sunburnt Gold

4. The Defense Rests

5. The Hidden Truth

6. The Runaway

Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp, The – Starring Hugh O’Brien, Alan Dinehart III, Douglas Fowley

(1955 - 1961) B&W 30 Minute episodes Unrated

Hugh O’Brien brought legendary lawman Wyatt Earp to life on the small screen in this classic western from the Golden Age of Television. Earp was famous for his tough but fair brand of justice and is probably best know for his participation in the Gunfight at the O.K. Corral!

Episodes:

1. The Assassins

Disc 6B

Stories of the Century – Starring Jim Davis, Mary Castle, Kristine Miller

(1954 - 1955) B&W 30 Minutes episodes Unrated

This classic western had stories centered upon railroad detectives Matt Clark and Frankie Adams. These partners traveled the railways across the country tracking down criminals who preyed upon those people riding and using the trains. Some of the West’s most legendary tales were told through the eyes of these railroad lawmen.

Episodes:

1. The Dalton Gang

2. Doc Holiday

3. John Wesley Hardin

4. The Younger Brothers

5. Johnny Ringo

6. Sam Bass

Deputy, The – Starring Henry Fonda, Allen Case, Read Morgan

(1959 - 1961) B&W 30 Minute episodes Unrated

The Arizona Territory in the 1880s was a tough place to be and the man who was responsible for bringing justice to the land was Marshal Simon Fry (Henry Fonda). Marshal Fry’s best weapon in defending the rights of the innocent came in the form of Clay McCord (Allen Case), his trusted deputy. Marshal Fry knew that when Deputy McCord was on the case, things would turn out all right.

Episodes:

1. The Return of Widow Brown

2. Hard Decision

Disc 7A

Pistols and Petticoats – Starring Ann Sheridan, Ruth McDevitt, Douglas Fowley

(1966 – 1967) B&W 30 Minute episodes Unrated

This western comedy for the 1960s boasted the incomparable Ann Sheridan as Henrietta Hanks, the head of a family of sharpshooters. Henrietta, Grandma and Grandpa are all eager to lend their skills with firearms in aiding the clumsy local sheriff, who is dating Henrietta’s niece Lucy. Trick shots fly as much as prat falls in this western for all ages.

Episodes:

1. Shoot Out at the O’Day Corral

2. The Triangle

3. Sir Richard the Wretched

Shotgun Slade – Starring Scott Brady

(1956) B&W 30 Minute episodes Unrated

Scott Brady starred as the title character, Shotgun Slade, a man who brings justice to the old west in the form of his custom made double-barreled shotgun. Equipped with a gun that can shoot both bullets and shotgun blasts, Slade fights the good fight with the hope of a lasting peace.

Episodes:

1. Crossed Guns

2. Sudden Death

26 Men – Starring Tristram Coffin, Kelo Henderson, Hal Hopper

(1957) B&W 30 Minute episodes Unrated

This classic western series was shown on television weekly from 1957 to 1959. The adventures told the tales of the original men of the Arizona Rangers who rode the territory during the late 19th and early 20th Centuries. The series starred Tristram Coffin as Captain Tom Rynning and Kelo Henderson and Ranger Clint Travis.

Episodes:

1. Border Incident

2. Wild Bunch

Disc 7B

Fury – Starring Peter Graves, Bobby Diamond, Ann Robinson

(1955 - 1960) B&W 30 Minute episodes Unrated

Jim Newton (Peter Graves) is the owner of the Broken Wheel Ranch and recently lost his wife and son in an accident. Given an opportunity to help orphan Joey get off the streets and lead a new life, Jim decides to take the boy in. What both Jim and Joey don’t know is that Fury, the wild stallion, will bring all of them together as a family.

Episodes:

1. Joey Finds a Friend

2. Dame Trouble

3. Search for Joey

Hawkeye and the Last of the Mohicans – Starring John Hart, Lon Chaney Jr.

(1957) B&W 30 Minute episodes Unrated

The story of James Fenimore Cooper’s literary heroes is brought to the small screen with John Hart starring as Hawkeye and Lon Chaney Jr. as Chingachgook. These two friends travel the backwoods of newly discovered New England, trapping and trading as well as fighting for the side of right when the time comes.

Episodes:

1. The Contest

2. The Girl

3. Washington Story

Disc 8A

Bonanza – Starring Lorne Greene, Michael Landon, Pernell Roberts, Dan Blocker

(1959 - 1973) Color 60 Minute episodes Unrated

The Cartwright's thousand-square-mile Ponderosa Ranch is located near Virginia City, Nevada, site of the Comstock Silver Lode, during and after the Civil War. Each of the sons was born to a different wife of Ben's; with none of the mothers still alive. Join Ben (Lorne Greene), Adam (Pernell Roberts), Hoss (Dan Blocker) and Little Joe (Michael Landon) as they rewrite the book on the western genre. These were the days where family values and the fight for justice were backed up by six-guns that always had right on their side.

Episodes:

1. Badge Without Honor

2. Day of Reckoning

3. The Last Viking

4. The Spanish Grant

Disc 8B

The Cartwright's thousand-square-mile Ponderosa Ranch is located near Virginia City, Nevada, site of the Comstock Silver Lode, during and after the Civil War. Each of the sons was born to a different wife of Ben's; with none of the mothers still alive. Join Ben (Lorne Greene), Adam (Pernell Roberts), Hoss (Dan Blocker) and Little Joe (Michael Landon) as they rewrite the book on the western genre. These were the days where family values and the fight for justice were backed up by six-guns that always had right on their side.

Episodes:

1. The Ape

2. The Mill

3. Feet of Clay

Disc 9A

Episodes:

1. The Gunmen

2. Desert Justice

3. Silent Thunder

Disc 9B

Wagon Train – Starring Scott Miller, Robert Horton, Terry Wilson

(1957 - 1965) B&W 30 Minute episodes Unrated

Ride along with settlers heading across the plains and deserts on their way to a new life, in this exciting classic TV western from the 1950s and 1960s. Strong wagon masters and brave scouts lead their wagon train through bad weather, hostile Indians and outlaws to find their promised new home out West.

Episodes:

1. Alias Bill Hawks

2. The Dr. Denker Story

3. The Malachi Hobart Story

Disc 10A

Sergeant Preston of the Yukon – Starring Dick Simmons, Yukon King, Rex

(1955 - 1958) Color 30 Minute episodes Unrated

Sergeant Preston (Dick Simmons) was the pride of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police in this classic adventure series that ran on television during the 1950’s. Preston was assigned to patrol the wilds of the Yukon and the Canadian Rockies with his trusty horse Rex and the incomparable Yukon King, the greatest lead dog of any sled dog team. No matter what the trouble or the weather they faced, Preston and his faithful companions would protect the interests of the Crown and bring in their man.

Episodes:

1. Dog Race

2. Scourge of the Wild

3. Relief Train

4. Black Ace

5. Trapped

Hudson’s Bay – Starring John Clark, Barry Nelson, George Tobias

(1959) B&W 30 Minute episodes Unrated

This adventure series from the late 1950s featured stories connected to the Hudson’s Bay Company. Famous for its fur trade shortly after North America was colonized, this television series told tales of adventure each week to its eager viewers. Trappers, Explorers, Native Americans, French and British alike all traveled the territory seeking their fortunes and finding fame and adventure.

Episodes:

1. Black Barrier

2. Rebels of Red River

3. The Avenger

Disc 10B

Adventures of Kit Carson, The – Starring Bill Williams, Don Diamond, Hank Patterson

(1955) B&W 30 Minutes Unrated

One of a series of popular 1950’s TV Westerns, “The Adventures of Kit Carson” featured the stories of Kit and his Mexican friend El Toro. The two traveled from town to town in the American Southwest fighting crimes and upholding the law.

Episodes:

1. Bad Man of Briscoe

2. Broken Spur

3. Feud in San Felipe

4. Law of the Six Guns

5. Powdersmoke Law

6. Trail to Old Sonora

Disc 11A

Northwest Passage – Starring Keith Larsen, Buddy Ebsen, Don Burnett

(1958 - 1959) B&W 30 Minute episodes Unrated

During the French and Indian War, Major Robert Rogers organizes an expedition to search for an inland waterway across the North American continent. Joining Major Rogers on his quest are his long-time friend and fellow Indian fighter Hunk Marriner and Harvard-graduate Langdon Towne, mapmaker. This expedition not only searches for the Northwest Passage but also brings aid to the settlers they find along the way.

Episodes:

1. The Assassin

2. Break Out

3. Death Rides the Wind

4. Stab in the Back

5. The Witch

6. Vengeance Trail

Disc 11B

Buffalo Bill Jr. – Starring Dickie Jones, Nancy Gilbert, Harry Cheshire

(1955 - 1956) B&W 30 Minute episodes Unrated

Buffalo Bill Jr. and his sister Calamity live in the small western town of Wileyville. The siblings are watched over by Judge Ben “Fair and Square” Wiley and together the three of them keep the peace in the territory. Whether it outlaws, renegade Indians or settlers it trouble, you can bet that Buffalo Bill Jr., Calamity and Judge Wiley will see to it that everything turns out right!

Episodes:

1. Fight for Geronimo

2. Runaway Renegade

3. Red Hawk

4. Empire Pass

5. The Fight for Texas

6. The Death of Johnny Ringo

Disc 12A

Range Rider, The – Starring Jack Mahoney, Dickie Jones, Stanley Andrews

(1951 - 1953) B&W 30 Minute episodes Unrated

This classic television series from the early 1950s starred Jock Mahoney as The Range Rider, who traveled the west bringing aid and justice to those he encountered. Aiding the Range Rider in his efforts was Dick West (Dickie Jones), the All-American Boy who was a top-notch rider as well as quick on the draw.

Episodes:

1. Convict At Large

2. The Buckskin

3. The Treasure of Santa Dolores

4. West of Cheyenne

5. Bullets and Badmen

6. The Holy Terror

Disc 12B

Rifleman, The – Starring Chuck Connors, Johnny Crawford, Paul Fix

(1958 - 1963) B&W 30 Minute episodes Unrated

Chuck Connors portrayed Lucas McCain, New Mexico rancher and the fastest shot around with his Winchester rifle. McCain is a widower raising his son Mark on his own but he aides the local sheriff, with his Winchester, in keeping the peace near the town of North Fork.

Episodes:

1. Day of the Hunter

2. Mail Order Groom

3. Outlaw’s Inheritance

Adventures of Champion, The – Starring Barry Curtis, Jim Bannon

(1955 - 1956) B&W 30 Minute episodes Unrated

Life in the American Southwest during the 1880’s would be a dream come true for a boy like Ricky North (Barry Curtis). Living on his Uncle Sandy’s ranch, Ricky had exciting adventures everyday that he shared with Champion, the Wonder Horse and his dog Rebel. This fan-favorite western from the 1950s brought to you these exciting adventures every week right into you home!

Episodes:

1. The Medicine Man Mystery

Bat Masterson – Starring Gene Barry

(1958 - 1961) B&W 30 Minute episodes Unrated

This 1950s western featured a non-traditional western hero. Gene Barry starred as Bat Masterson, a gambler and lady’s man, who traveled across the West with a bowler instead of a cowboy hat and used a cane for his primary weapon instead of a six-gun. This unorthodox fighting style kept his opponents at bay and him on top of his game in this series based upon the actual story of William Barclay “Bat” Masterson.

Episodes:

1. The Fighter

2. Stampede at Tent City

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Chas, thanks for posting the episode listing . . . it's pretty much what I expected . . . lots of public domain episodes that have previously been released. But for someone who wants a nice sampling of mostly 1950s Westerns, this has an excellent selection of shows.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Why is Pistols & Petticoats listed as being in B/W? ALL of the 1966-67 shows on the primetime schedule were broadcast in color (the first season to do so). Obviously the episode in this set must be a PD B/W copy of a color film.

Doug^Ch

Second Unit
I would love to pick this up as a great sampler of shows that for the most part will never make it out on DVD. Does anyone have any idea how many of these will have the original theme music? I can watch public domain quality, but I can't stand some of the replaced them music. Case in point, the Bonanza episodes listed I had on a PD issue and they replaced the theme with something innocuous that ruined the entire show.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

Doug, like Gary OS, I have most of these shows from other companies that specialize in public domain material. I believe that Mill Creek will retain the original theme music for almost all of these shows for two reasons . . .

1. Original theme music was retained on Mill Creek's releases of "The Buccaneers" and "Sherlock Holmes."

2. On DVDs released by other companies specializing in PD material, the following shows have the original music intact:

Annie Oakley
Jim Bowie
Cisco Kid
Death Valley Days
Roy Roger Show (including "Happy Trails" at the end)
Lone Ranger
Judge Roy Bean
Wyatt Earp
Stories of the Century
The Deputy
Shotgun Slade
26 Men
Fury
Hawkeye & the Last of the Mohicans
Wagon Train
Sgt. Preston
Nortwest Passage
Buffalo Bill, Jr.
Range Rider
The Rifleman
Bat Masterson

It's always possible that Mill Creek might substitute theme music for the above, but I doubt it. Bonanza is a different story, though . . . they'll probably use replacement music, though Brentwood's collection of 20 Bonanza episodes did use the original music.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

That's exactly what happened with some of the later "Ozzie & Harriet" public domain episodes; they're in black & white rather than color. Or, it's possible that Mill Creek simply made a mistake on this show since the vast majority of this collection were filmed in black & white, though they were also incorrect with "Northwest Passage," another show filmed in color.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
When Ozzie & Harriet was still airing in local station syndication (when I first saw it) in the 1980s, the final season (1965 to 1966) had aired in its original color form. That last year was the only one filmed in color, unless you include the color videotaped sequel "Ozzie's Girls" from 1973.

Although I would never buy anything Ozzie Nelson on DVD (except for possible guest apperances on other shows such as Rod Serling's Night Gallery), it's disappointing how public domain releasing companies can only afford cheap black & white copies of a show filmed in color.

Doug^Ch

Second Unit
Bob - Thanks for the very helpful response to my query. I will definitely be picking this set up. I mean, for that price, you really can't go very wrong.

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor

In my 25+ years of film collecting, the only episode of this show that has ever turned up in color is the unaired pilot with Chris Noel in the Carole Wells role. Other than that, there is a re-edited movie of 4 episodes that's also in color. All of my regular episodes, and I have about 1/2 the run are black and white prints. So these are obviously taken from some of the 16mm prints that have been floating around for the last 20 years.

Speaking of the show, I doubt it's PD. Any show done post 1964 has a 75 year window to register copyright. So if Universal wants to bother, they can go after them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks