Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Question about Xbox 1 and 480p component output

Xbox

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted December 19 2006 - 01:42 PM

I have a question about Xbox one and 480p component output, I recently got a HDTV and I found an original "advanced component A/V kit" at Gamestop for $9.00 so I thought I would give it a shot.....not sure of what I think about the results. There are only two games that I own that are actually formatted for proper viewing on a 16:9 display and they are both from Id: Doom 3 & Return to Castle Wolfenstine, all of the others that I own are not enhanced and look rather "fat" when viewing in 16:9....not great but livable HOWEVER the quality of the image is jaggie and noisy around the edges to say the least.

I'm not sure if the 480P is merely revealing the limitations of the Box that were obscured in Interlaced mode or if there is something wrong with my component output or if it is my TV that is causing the pixilated edges but if anyone who has experience with this can give me their opinion I would be very grateful.

PS: I also notice that the video settings in the Xbox offer 720p & 1080i output but when I set it to any of these it only comes in at 480i....were there ever any games made that utilise these settings? If not then why did Xbox offer the settings in the first place?
-Kevin M.

There's a human tendency to resent anyone who disagrees with our pleasures.  The less mature interpret that as a personal attack on themselves.
- Roger Ebert

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   BrianB

BrianB

Producer

• 5,211 posts

Posted December 19 2006 - 03:59 PM

It sounds like something's not set up right if you're etting 480i in the dashboard after choosing 1080i..
high resolution ipod featuring dlp hd programming is the best, almost as good as playstation 2 with wega windows media on a super cd! ps2 and tivo do dolby tv with broadband hdtv!

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted December 19 2006 - 04:26 PM

Keep in mind that this is the First Xbox and not the 360, anyway yes, I have everything set up as it should be (I mean it isn't exactly difficult, you plug in the A/V connecter to the Xbox and then the component cables into your set) and I go into the settings and if I choose 480p then I get "ED 480p" on my monitor however if I choose any other setting (I.E. 720p or 1080i) I only get "SD 480i" on the monitor. Did the original Xbox ever output anything higher than 480p?
-Kevin M.

There's a human tendency to resent anyone who disagrees with our pleasures.  The less mature interpret that as a personal attack on themselves.
- Roger Ebert

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton

Lead Actor

• 7,588 posts

Posted December 19 2006 - 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin M
I have a question about Xbox one and 480p component output, I recently got a HDTV and I found an original "advanced component A/V kit" at Gamestop for $9.00 so I thought I would give it a shot.....not sure of what I think about the results. There are only two games that I own that are actually formatted for proper viewing on a 16:9 display and they are both from Id: Doom 3 & Return to Castle Wolfenstine, all of the others that I own are not enhanced and look rather "fat" when viewing in 16:9....not great but livable HOWEVER the quality of the image is jaggie and noisy around the edges to say the least.

I'm not sure if the 480P is merely revealing the limitations of the Box that were obscured in Interlaced mode or if there is something wrong with my component output or if it is my TV that is causing the pixilated edges but if anyone who has experience with this can give me their opinion I would be very grateful.

PS: I also notice that the video settings in the Xbox offer 720p & 1080i output but when I set it to any of these it only comes in at 480i....were there ever any games made that utilise these settings? If not then why did Xbox offer the settings in the first place?
I haven't really noticed a "jaggie" problem that you would get with interlaced video, or noise introduced in any part of the process. Maybe you would see things I don't.

My Xbox does drop to 480i on the dashboard and I know this because I have it on an Samsung input that only synchs to 480p or faster (PS2 is on the 480i/480p but not 1080i input). So if I pull the power cord and have to set the date again, or have to configure the wireless connector, then I have to pull green and put it in a composite vid till I set that stuff up.

Anyway, the one question I can answer is that Matrix is the only 1080i game that I recall being made. Most Xbox people bought it for demo reasons alone. Not a great game, some people enjoy it more than others, but it does look good.

The only 720p game I know is Soul Caliber 2. Fun fighting game, looks good too.

I'm just a casual gamer though. I bet a Google would find a list of all Xbox games with 720 or 1080 out. There used to be a running list right here at HTF, but I rarely browse the gaming sections lately.

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted December 19 2006 - 05:17 PM

The thing that get's me is that when I put the image out in 480i the jagged edges are minimised....of course so is detail, in 480p the sharpness is definitely increased but on many games at a cost of the "smoothness" of edges....hence my use of the word "jaggies".

BTW, I found THIS SITE that list many aspects of Xbox games (but their claims as to which games support 16:9 are fairly shoddy....they list Return to Castle Wolfenstein as non-16:9 but it in fact is one of the few games that actually retains an accurate aspect ratio, I.E. non-"Fat" Posted Image, while in widescreen mode).
-Kevin M.

- Roger Ebert